[OBSOLETE] Peanut Plug with Smartthings? (DTH in post 35)

Iris are same price and much more reliable than peanuts. I have 3 I got free from Securifi and they are anything buy reliable ad a royal PIA to get reconnected when they drop.

Hmm, I don’t see any Iris plugs for less than $30. I’ll check in with my longer term results, but 2 weeks in and the Peanuts have been working great.

I don’t think I’ve paid over $20 for any of the Iris. When Peanut work, they are fine, but power reporting was flaky even on Almond+ hub never mind on ST. Peanuts’ stop responding to commands much more often than Iris

FYI the Peanut plugs are now $9.99 each!

I saw on other threads that people were able to use devices like this to monitor when the laundry is finished somehow with energy monitoring, I believe. Is anyone out there using this plug for that use case? I’m curious how you have it set up, what device type you’re using, how you’ve set up your Piston/SmartApp, etc.

I would be very interested in this as well. Dryers require a 220V plug but you’d really only be concerned with leaving wet clothes in the washer which would work with the Peanut.

I don’t believe the power monitor works or at least I don’t think there is a DTH that works properly with it.

2 Likes

Peanut power does NOT work, never has even with their own hub. Best one for washer is the Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS appliance module. For an electric dryer you’ll need something 220V, like Aeotec by Aeon Labs DSB28-ZWUS

You can find these posted regularly in the deals thread

anybody having trouble with their peanut plugs? I have two in my theater and they seem to just drop off and become not usable randomly.

If I control it at the switch i seems okay and reports to smartthings correctly but I can’t seem to control i from the app now

Mine have been working great, however one day last week one of them which is supposed to be turned off by ST between 5-8pm (air purifier during peak electric rate time) was still running during that time. I didn’t investigate further and the following day it was working fine.

1 Like

I bought 2 of the peanut plugs and I’m having a weird issue with one. I am able to control on and off. Now I have a projector plugged into it, normally the projector when plugged into a socket has a standby light on. With the peanut turned on, the standby light doesn’t come on… very strange. I ended up having to remove the peanut and plugging the projector directly to the outlet. At first I thought the pj was hosed.

I just bought one of these Peanut switches. I have it set up as a Zigbee switch, but it seems a bit unreliable. I don’t see the option for the GE Zigbee switch in my device handlers. Does anyone have the code/GitHub for that handler? Thanks!

Unfortunately you need a Securifi router to update the firmware on them. Latest firmware made vast improvements to them freezing up & dropping off the network.

Mine turn on ok but turn themselves off again 30 seconds later

Hi all

To whoever interested in using peanut plug in their smartthings system. I am posting a new peanut plug device handler here, which in additional to switch on/off function, it also displays power and energy usage. Here is the display in smartthings.

However, in order to display power and energy, latest firmware is required. As someone mentioned here, updating to latest firmware require Almond 2015, Almond+ or Almond 3 (Almond 2012 will not work because it does not support zigbee). You can still use the device handler if you are not updating the firmware, the power and energy will be zero. The energy display is the accumulation of the power * time, if you press the reset kwh button, it will start counting from zero again.

Here you go, enjoy.

3 Likes

Very cool and nice work @pakmanwg

We neee an almond device we can ship around lol paying 80 bucks for a firmware update kind of stinks unless someone knows a place to get a cheap one?

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, agree. Hopefully smartthings can do support firmware upgrade for devices other than light bulb in the future.

One thing I noticed with your DH is that in the recent activity if I turn it on or off I see the message in their twice.

Is this expected or on purpose?

I do not seem to have this problem. Is it happening on all your switches? Here is my dump of the recently page.

good question - I will have to put the DH back on a different outlet and test. Could be the older firmware I suppose on my devices?