Overwhelmed! LED Lightstrips (Lightify, FLS-PP, Fibaro)?

Crud! I went off of the latest reviews saying it was the right one… Guess I need to cancel

I’m surprised some reviews say it works. The contacts are so small it is even tricky to solder. There is definitely a need and I would like to know if any work.

I recommend just getting what has previously been documented:

I have these parts and it works great.

Wow those look completely different than what I was expecting to need…

I was just about to get:

and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MU09EK/

But those female CCTV things look completely foreign to me… where would they go?

Note that there is a bug in the firmware in the FLS-PP Ip that causes it to ‘freeze’, my unit suffers from it but it was supposed to have been fixed in a new firmware version that was shipping with units ages ago however, another user of the community very recently got one and it was suffering the same issues so I’m not sure if the stock was fully flushed from Amazon.

Provided the firmware is fixed with the FLS-PP Ip it’s a great unit that even works with the Hue Bridge however, if I were to do it again (and I will be) I’d get the Fibaro RGBW. When I want accurate and MASSIVELY bright whites, I get the Hue Lightstrip Plus.

Well that stinks!! I saw some buggy mentions in the Fibaro thread too

I pulled an audible and cancelled my FLS-PP order and went Fibaro… hope I made the right choice!

I guess the question is, are you prepared to put in the DIY, maybe have to experiment a little and do you have some basic understanding of electronics?

If you are comfortable with all of that then by all means you should be good to go however, if you aren’t then I’d recommend the Hue Lightstrip+, it might be VERY expensive in comparison but it’ll work straight out of the box and it’s really very powerful.

Yes sir! I’m ready to do a lil wire stripping and tapping. I am trying to avoid soldering, but I should have everything I need to get this up and running. I have a few universal adapters with adjustable amperage that I’ll probably just cut off the ends to use as the power source.

I’ve also started messing with the python script someone posted in the Plex thread. I plan on setting up different activities in ST (I hope theyre activities and not just on/off) so that I can set the various colors.

I’m ready! Weekend fun!

1 Like

Awesome! Excited for you and it sounds like you’re good to go although of course, ask questions if you aren’t sure! Make sure to pop on over to the Fibaro thread and let us know how it goes!

I have 2 of the Fibaro RGBW devices, i gotta say they are awesome, as a Philips hue user i just wish they would integrate with the Hue Hub so they can be used in Scenes…but if that aint your bag you cant go wrong with them.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t use scenes, plus I hate 2.4GHz (ZigBee) devices so all my next ones will likely be via the Fibaro.

I got the Lightstrip+ because I wanted it to genuinely act as an uplight that would actually be useful. The plus is STUPIDLY bright.

Yeah, thats part of the reason I went with zwave dimmers… I didnt want to deal with wifi or 2.4ghz so I was avoiding zigbee and such.

I’m excited and hoping that those little quick connector things will work with the wires and also the LED strips. IF they do, I should have everything I need!

In case anyone was wondering those connectors dont do the trick. Theyre fantastic for strip to strip connection. But I tried to put the wires in there… and you cant get them to sit without shorting another pin.

I started looking and saw this: http://www.amazon.com/Alightings-Connector-Non-Waterproof-strip-Contains-connectors/dp/B011G8IY8Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1454736446&sr=8-16&keywords=5pin+rgbw+connector+10mm

You can see the wired side has a different connection type. So I purchased the above and also scotchlok connectors so I can extend this wires.

Just an update! The quest continues!

I’m actually looking for something like this but with six conductors/wires with a 90 degree bend to work with the Hue Lightstrip+, tried soldering wires directly but too small for my soldering capabilities.

Sorry I missed your earlier question. Here’s a photo of the wiring with the parts I referenced previously…

In case anyone was wondering… I wound up having to solder my connections because most of the stuff I bought was junk.

So in a nutshell DO NOT BUY:

I did purchase these which made install way easier. I had to cut a few of them to add extensions between the connectors:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SRPTTM

Agreed some of those solutions are of questionable quality, however some do. I however have always had more success in soldering my own connectors. For those who struggle soldering for best results you should use liquid rosin flux. Just put a drop on the connection and then use your iron and put a drop of solder onto the connector and you will see that the solder like a magnet will stick to that connector.
Then just get your already solder coated wire end place it on top of the drop of solder on the connector and just touch the iron onto it. Do that for all 4/5 wires and you are done… You then need to clean the connectors with some rubbing alcohol as rosin flux eats away at your solder so you need to clean it off.
Most people who complain they find things too small and cannot solder do so because they don’t use flux and struggle to get solder to stick because of oils from fingerprints etc… So they end up over heating whilst soldering because the solder won’t take. Use the right tools and equipment and you will find soldering one of the most enjoyable DIY jobs you will undertake…at least it is for me…i look forward to the next soldering task when it arises

2 Likes

How exactly did you use those connectors? Doesn’t the Lightstrip+ have 6 pins? Did you still have to do any soldering

The strips I used had 5 pins.

RGBW+

I actually did have to do some soldering because I wanted to have strips behind my floor speakers. I bought extra 5 wire strips and cut those connectors and extended them.

But just wrapping around corners those strip to strip adapters will work fine.