Outdoor Sirens for UK? (2018)

project_security

(Robin) #122

That’s fine, duplicates do no harm for selection… they only show up once in the webCoRE dashboard no matter how many times you select then in the app.

Fibaros are switches and energy sensors, hence why they show in both lists.

(Ahmed) #123

I’ve got WebCoRE installed finally, going to start playing around and creating some pistons. Can I create pistons to remind me when batteries are low on battery operated devices? So for example one piston to monitor battery for presence sensor and if it drops to 30% to send me SMS, another piston for door sensor etc, Does that work?

(Robin) #124

You can do it in one piston:

But please ask future WC questions in a WC thread / on the WC forum :sunglasses:

(Ahmed) #125

Awesome thanks. Will post on the WC forum regarding WC from now.

(Ahmed) #126

Did you create that failsafe rule in WC or in ST?

(Robin) #127

With webCoRE:

(Ahmed) #128

Thanks @RobinWinbourne I just discovered my ST Arrival Sensor battery was reporting battery at about 63% for the past week. But this morning for some reason it’s reporting 75%, is that normal? My fibaro door contact i’ve had installed for a good few weeks and the battery level on that still seems to be 100% is that normal?

(Robin) #129

Battery level is reported in large steps… so a 12% jump sounds fairly normal…

If you’re teetering on one of the reporting thresholds it could toggle up and down for a few days.

ST battery reporting is very unreliable anyway!

(Alcopop2006) #130

Hi Everyone, I am currently completing a University project where I need to look at redesigning a domestic security product…
The Design Brief says:

‘A domestic security product designed as a replacement house alarm unit found in the average home across the country. Existing units are traditionally basic and functional, the replacement will utilise recent developments in technology, offer up an aesthetically pleasing alternative and be desirable on a limited budget.’

I was considering using SmartThings as a starting point and was wondering whether any of you had any suggestions as to how the product could be improved or what you would like changing?

At the minute, I’ve been looking at redesigning an external siren box, a redesigned keypad and some redevelopment of keyfob presence sensors. Any ideas/ suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

(Robin) #131

tagging @JDRoberts

Sounds like an interesting project! You should start your own thread for this, to keep from flooding this existing topic, which is for devices that are currently for sale. I’m sure you’ll get a number of responses. :sunglasses:

Speaking as an engineer, I expect your biggest design challenge will be budget. For example, the Popp siren is both attractive and functional, but at about £250 is more than most people want to spend.

(Alcopop2006) #135

Thanks JD, will do… here is the link to the new thread. Would really appreciate any suggestions and who knows it might get picked up and become a feasible product :smile:

(Andrew Taylor) #136

Just FYI, I’ve had the Z-Wave Popp Outdoor Siren installed and running for over 1 year now. Works perfectly for me. I did find that it used to lose connection with the hub, so I built in a WebCore routine that triggers the siren for 1 second at 12pm each day and it has been solid ever since.

Bonus is, it’s almost like having a cuckoo clock at home that let’s me know it’s lunchtime!

Hi,

I’ve been looking into External Siren’s for use with SmartThings and came across this thread which has been useful. Based on your post I’ve been looking into the Yale SR-BX-ZW and contacted Yale UK via Twitter who pointed me at this - https://www.yalestore.co.uk/yale-external-live-siren-1.html, I’d already found this but as the model number is listed on the website I’ve asked Yale UK to confirm that this is the one and same z-wave siren.

However I was also wondering if anyone else has successfully used one of the Yale SR-BX-ZW Siren’s with SmartThings and what their experience was like getting it to work?

Thanks,
Paul

(Edwin Lazar) #138

I am after something similar, thinking of using the Yale external siren. Any luck with it!

Went round in circles with Yale for a bit and they finally advised;

“We do not sell a siren that connects directly to the smartthings hub. You would use a Yale smart home alarm with the siren in the kit.”

So unfortunately no progress on an external siren!

(Robin) #140

I’ve had a zwave POP siren in the box for months now… external render should be done on on the new-build in a few more weeks so I’ll be putting it up and commissioning before the scaffold comes down.

Looking forward to annoying the neighbours lol

(Edwin Lazar) #141

I was planning to buy one from amazon to try but no luck they are not dispatching the unit.
I think I will get the d link siren and will put it inside the yale dummy :slight_smile:

(Edwin Lazar) #142

Hi Robin,

I read somewhere in the forum that you were using a dlink siren inside a dummy.
Will it work, just with the optional battery backup (no mains)?
Did it work alright after connecting up with ST?

Thanks

(Robin) #143

Though I have a dlink siren in one of my homes, its not using the optional battery backup so I’m not sure if your proposed setup would work, and if so for how long.

Are you sure you can’t pull through a USB power supply… on many homes you can put the box up high and route a cable through the roof and out of the vent slot behind the guttering.