Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)

Sounds right, I remember seeing the non-tuneable one.

Saved me an Emergency trip to lowes

1 Like

@JTT Iā€™m sure brought two and I like them better than the GE Link.

The ā€œSoft Whiteā€ dimmable OSRAM bulb is passing through certification right now. Itā€™s the cheaper model that doesnā€™t have a tunable color temperature feature.

Weā€™re also certifying the tunable flood light and the tunable in-ceiling fixture.

3 Likes

Thanks @Sticks18.

Rather unsurprisingly after testing with the tunable white it is defaulting to 2700kā€¦ i must have been missing the lowest values earlier using the slider (fat finger error!). The interface on the tunable white seems nicer in the app imo - i think its the lack of scrolling that has the biggest impact. Is there a smaller RGB wheel or colour picker interface that would allow a no scroll ui for common functions?

Somthing like the attached feels like a good start - although the idea of a few light temp presets instead of slider altogether is also appealing. Perhaps the sliders could still remain just off screen (keeping the scroll but all primary common functions on the estate that is initially visible). Just my thoughts here as im sure other users have other needs / preferences.

Ant

NOTE: This is for the RGBW version of the Lightify bulbs.

I didnā€™t have much time tonight, but I was able to make some quick updates/changes. It still needs a lot of help in the parse and refresh sections to update things other than on/off. Maybe this weekend.

I made the changes to the same GitHub link. Since the refresh button doesnā€™t do much yet, I replaced it with a tile that will tell you what mode the bulb is in: White or Color. I set Default White to 2700K (these bulbs can actually go down to 2000K, so I fixed the slider to go that low). I also added another row where I stashed the refresh tile, and two other white presets for Cool White 4000K and Daylight 6500K.

Thereā€™s so many options with these bulbs, that itā€™s a bit overwhelming to come up with a great layout for everyone. Icons and or coloring might help the aesthetics. Feedback is welcome.

2 Likes

Immediate feedback on these amazing changes - all positive. So much nicer imo to have the smaller colour picker and option to jump right back to a usable white light. Am i right in thinking the colour intensity slider is built into the larger colour picker module or could that be added off screen (scroll down to reach) also? This evening has opened my eyes to the potential power of certain ST devices. I will have to spend some time and unpick the changes you have made tonight and start playing around with this soon #SoManyIdeas! Thanks once again @Sticks18

1 Like

I just found out in another thread that the color picker looks different on iOS vs Android. If youā€™re on iOS the color picker incorporates both hue (rotating around the circle) and saturation (intensity with less intense being toward the center) in the one control. The Android app uses a ring for hue with a saturation slider below it. This is not a coding option for us developers and is just the implementation of the feature in the various apps. You can still use the level slider to dim the bulb as a 3rd dimension while using color.

I have a question about OSRAM. First off, great device. I have a question that is a bit subjective but it is a subtle difference from the OSRAM to the HUE. When you change colors on the OSRAM it is an abrupt change, however when you change colors on the HUE itā€™s more of a gradual change. I know all this happens over the span of about 2 seconds, but I didnā€™t know whether anyone knows how to make OSRAM behave more like HUE when changing colors.

Did a little more digging and this feature was enabled via a firmware update to the bulbs through the Lightify Gateway. I donā€™t have the Lightify Gateway, so I canā€™t update my bulb to see what changes the firmware makes. @Tyler any word on if/when ST will be able to apply OTA firmware updates to zigbee devices?

Is your OSRAM bulb connected directly to ST? And if it is, what deviceType are you using?

TransitionTime is an extra parameter sent with the color change or level change commands. The base Zigbee Hue Bulb deviceType in ST uses an ā€œinstantaneousā€ transition. This is easily changed with a custom deviceType.

I use the OSRAM Garden Spot light from the IDE, is there a different custom device type.

Also, do you know whether these devices are capable of strobing?

Iā€™m not familiar with any firmware update for the OSRAM products. Iā€™ll check on that with their team.

We donā€™t have the ability to update ZigBee devices OTA but itā€™s being worked on.

3 Likes

There has been discussion in the past on other sites that Osram released different firmware for European and US versions. Just wanted to mention that.

I believe theyā€™ve had a couple already. These may have been software updates for their Gateway and not bulb firmware, but I think the new features would have to be at the bulb level. They fixed the issue where it didnā€™t retain its last dim level when turning off, so an on() command always sent it to full brightness, and the latest one allows them to set the default brightness and color temp for when the bulb is physically power cycled.

Maybe those were EU specific though as JD mentioned.

I donā€™t think any custom versions exist for this. If youā€™re technically inclined you could grab the baseline code from GitHub and make the changes yourself. I can help you with what to change.

There is no inherent strobe functionality that Iā€™m aware of. Did they flash when you paired them to ST?

Not only that, but the OSRAM bulbs in the EU are ZLL. The US ones are HA 1.2.

:dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Could you also see if you can get a confirmation one way or the other if Osram in bulbs sold in the US can act as ZHA repeaters if they are connected directly to the smartthings hub? And also if the bulbs sold in the EU can act as ZHA repeaters if theyā€™re connected directly to the smartthings hub? And also if thereā€™s any difference between specific models, including the new models without color temperature adjustment?

This is more important in Europe where there are fewer zigbee repeaters available, and range can be a bit less because of the non-boosted power issue. And itā€™s really important for South America and Australia where the receptacle format may be different than both the US and the UK.

I do have friends who use Z wave bulbs as Z wave repeaters for things like getting a signal down the basement stairs. It can be useful when thereā€™s no hardwired outlet nearby.

If the Osram bulbs could perform that function for some of the tricky architecture places like garages that would be good to know, especially since the original SmartThings motion sensor is no longer available.

Thanks!

2 Likes

So the one sold in the EU wonā€™t repeat for ZHA devices. But if someone in Argentina or Vietnam got hold of one of the American ones maybe it could be used as a ZHA repeater. Maybe. That would be really good to know, One way or the other. Especially for regions where a lot of cement is used in residential construction, getting the signal around a corner can just be a bear. :skull:

I have no problem linking the devices and they work greatā€¦ I would have no idea how to edit the code to create a brighten effect instead of abrupt on and idm effect instead of abrupt off and to pull off color changes the way hue does, but FWIW that is really the only difference between the two products.

I started another thread on the strobe issue.

Has anyone worked with the Lightify strip? I just ordered one from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. Do you think it would add into the hub as the same device as the bulb or will it require a new device type?

Thanks!