Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)

Thanks - just want to follow up for the community…

I installed the Osram Edge-Lit Flush Mount light this morning. It connected immediately but I did need to change the device type in the IDE. It appears to work with the generic Zigbee tunable white handler.

2 Likes

I would lose to see some actual pictures of this thing installed!

Edit: FYI - After a week or so with this installed I have noticed that it returns to the same state it was in when power is restored (flip the switch and it will turn on if it was on previously, and it will remain off if it was previously off).

3 Likes

Hi, the Osram lightify bulbs were known to have problems as zigbee repeaters. Can someone confirm if this is now resolved?

It’s better but not resolved.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

Just tried adding couple of osram bulbs directly to Smartthings. I see they are detected as ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb. Is this correct? I thought they should be Zigbee.

ZLL is a zigbee profile, Zigbee Light Link.

I understand. But I thought ZLL devices don’t repeat for ZHA devices.

It’s a little more complicated than that. When a ZLL device Is joined directly to a ZHA coordinator, per the standard the ZLL device is supposed to fall back to a ZHA profile.

So when attached directly to the SmartThings hub, a ZLL bulb Will generally try to act as a ZHA repeater. It may not be very good at it, though.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/214191863-How-to-connect-SYLVANIA-Bulbs

A ZLL bulb attached to the hue bridge will not act as a ZHA repeater.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Really helpful.
I have all my lightify bulbs under hue bridge. Trying to see how they work directly under smartthings as I can also get ota updates. If I am having a lot of problems, I will move them back to hue.

1 Like

I had a lot of issues initially with my bulbs not turning on/off on schedule, but after the OTA update I saw some improvement, but not perfect, still would have one not on or left on. Most of my house is zwave, so I decided to do a quick test. I initially used a GE Link Bulb (repeater capability) already on my system, I simply moved it within about 10-15 feet from the osram bulbs, seemed to help the issue, for a permanent fix I swapped out a nearby ge zwave switch (12722) with their newer zigbee version (45856GE) and that did the trick. 100% for about a month now…

Thanks for the info. I haven’t noticed any problems with the bulbs yet. But noticed some odd behaviour for the first time in one of the xiaomi door contacts. It sometimes reports that it is still open after being closed for a while. I am not sure if it’s because of the osram bulbs or the IKEA ones i added at the same time. Need to monitor it closely and move some of the bulbs around.

Just got these lights set up with the lightify app but they will not show up on SmartThings, any suggestions?

They won’t work in both places at the same time because they can only connect to one ZigBee hub at a time. You would need to reset them and pair them directly to ST. Unlike Hue, there is currently no cloud-to-cloud integration between ST and the Lightify API.

2 Likes

Thanks!! I will try this out

Hi all.
I’m in EU, and have “filled” my house with Lightify bulbs. They work fine on daily basis.

Only big problem is that I keep have A19 RGB bulbs going broke. I had several up until Christmas 2016. Then I didn’t have a single defect bulb for about 6 months, but now that last couple of months some of my A19 RGB bulbs are going defect again.
Luckly the shop I buy them from replaces them without any problem.

I cannot figure out if they are “highly sentative” to something in the current of my electricity or what the problem is. I have other kind of Lightify bulbs also and flexstrips, which is fine. It has only been the A19 RGB bulbs I have had a lot of problems with.

Any other of you experiencing this behaviour?

1 Like

I had purchased several Lightify bulbs/switches on sale from Lowe’s, including a kit that included a gateway. I already had several Lightify bulbs in use connected to my ST hub, but I wanted to see if the Lightify gateway and app provided any additional/better functionality than connecting directly to the SmartThings hub. So I connected a few different types of bulbs to the Lightify gateway. First impression was not good. I kept having to reset the wifi connection on the gateway. About half the time after closing the app and re-opening, the gateway lost connection entirely. And whenever I tried to update the firmware of bulbs, it would sit showing “updating”, but wouldn’t actually do it unless I reset the wifi connection (and even then it took several tries). I was trying to update the bulbs on the gateway (as opposed to on SmartThings) for three reasons; 1 It looked like there were options available in the Lightify app that when I clicked on them said I needed to update the firmware to use them, and the whole point was to see what different options, if any, was available. 2. I THOUGHT it would be a quicker thing to update the firmware as long as they were already connected to the gateway (I was wrong). 3.The app wouldn’t delete the bulbs from the gateway properly until they were updated.

I did not see any rules or options available in the gateway that I thought made it better than SmartThings, and I didn’t see a difference in color quality. I did like the ability to set a default color/hue/brightness for when the bulb is power cycled, but that’s about it.

If you are thinking of getting Lightify bulbs for your network, I would recommend them. I like them a lot. But if you are thinking of also getting the gateway because it may be better at updating the firmware on the bulbs or may provide more/better options, my experience would say don’t bother. Just set the bulbs up directly to the ST hub and update there.

One interesting thing I noticed, though, was that when I deleted the bulbs from the Lightify app/gateway, they actually reset themselves (flashed 3 times right after being deleted). I did not have to do the 5 seconds off/ 5 seconds on 5 times thing before adding them to my SmartThings hub. Considering how long it took to update the firmware, that was a very welcomed thing.

I’ve had some A19 bulbs that have lasted a good year, but had to replace some others before their time. Fortunately within the EU there is a decent statutory warranty period and big retailers take care of refund\replacements without question.

My first question would be how often is the power completely cut to these bulbs and then restored?

This could happen for two different reasons. First, if you live in an area where the power grid goes out frequently.

Or second, if you are using regular light switches with these bulbs and they get turned on and off from the switch frequently.

Would either of these apply in your case?