Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)

Question for those with the Flex strips, have any of you tried using another RGBW strip with the controller? I am wondering if it will work with others or if any tinkering would be needed. In theory it should work given the 4 pin connector, I believe.

1 Like

Mind the voltage too. As far as I know, for example, the hue light strip works @ 24V

1 Like

thank you for sharing this! Iā€™m just trying to connect one of the bulbs to my v2 now.

ah turned it off and on and it showed up for connection and that device type works great

thank you again

WAF will be through the roof as I was thinking idā€™ have to get normal lifx lights for my ensuite (didnā€™t want to get more gu10 lifx as they arenā€™t stable - and not for sale anymore!)

May I ask if youā€™re happy with their brightness especially in your lounge room? my lifx downlights are 650 lumens and these are 350 lm. Tho I generally donā€™t use mine at full brightness.

The Lightify Par16 TW are not the brightest bulbs indeed, but grouped by 6, they are good enough for my room (10m x 11m / in 2 zones (6 bulbs for 5 x 11m each)ā€¦ All 12 bulbs project to a white ceiling to defuse the white. At 350 lm each, they are just enough for my room at 100%. I would have wished for a bit more lm, but this is good enough for me, all depend of your room I guessā€¦

One thing I havenā€™t work out yet is how to keep the color temp when switched off electrically (power off at the electrical switch, not via ST). When powered ON electrically they go back to 2700K 100%ā€¦ This is not a big issue as I am planning to change my electrical switch with a 4 buttons zigbee scene switch in the long term (ie not electrically switch off unless power cut)ā€¦

ah yeh not as smart as the lifx lights i see but not surprising. thanks for the info!

Hi
Unless I misunderstand you, you can set the default temp within the Osram app.
You can set color, temp and level and then you have a small icon of a switch I think, which will set the current selected values as the default values. Meaning when you switch electricity on and off.

With the Osram App (in conjunction with the Osram Bridge) you can set the default color temp for the bulbs however the bulbs canā€™t (at this time) be connected to both SmartThings and the Osram Bridge so the color temperature tends to revert to the base color temperature.

I also donā€™t like how the Osram bulbs turn on as much as other bulbs (Lifx/Hue) I have installed in my house and as such I have set the OSRAM bulbs I have to turn on via a wall switch and then the color is adjusted throughout the day via the Circadian Rhythm Smart App.

1 Like

So, why would my Gardenspots randomly switch to blue (not the weird default purple color, a royal blue)? Not all of them either, just one set. It has been happening a couple of times each evening (started with the last ST meltdown and wonā€™t stop). In addition, this same string comes on at random times during the day (not just at sunset when it is programmed to switch on).

have you tried to unplug them and wait for about a minute or 2 and plug them back in. If you are running it on a schedule, try opening the schedule and then go back to the main screen and close the app. That worked for me once, I have not had any issues. I did have at the start with a stran doing what you mentioned but itā€™s no longer doing it.

Yeah, tried that one. I think it may actually be my color coordinator Smartapp going haywire. I deleted it and we shall see what happens. :yum:

1 Like

Iā€™ve already got a Lightify Tunable GU10 setup in my house, and today I bought the E14 CLB 40 Tunable White bulb, however I cannot get it to connect at all.

It shows up as a "Thingā€™ but offers no more

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, now I remember. The only way to do it was to add it via the app as a ā€˜thingā€™, and then to edit the device through the IDE and set it as a Lightify V1 Bulb as per the DTH above.

My only issue now is that the bulb doesnā€™t show up as a temperature changing bulb in Circadian Daylight. Fix:
Add capability ā€œColor Temperatureā€ to the DTH

Is it working for you?

Eliminating the color coordinator smartapp seemed to do it. In alternate news, I started noticing odd colors on other lights. Turns out, it is due to connection issues between the strings (threaded connection with translucent gasket may not be adequate).

2 Likes

looks like osram released firmware updates for all of their products today. Every device I got has an update to 01020492

Hi,

I can see that Osram Lightify is fully supported by SmartThings on: https://www.smartthings.com/compatible-products.

Can I ask, when using with the SmartThings hub, do you need to use the Osram Gateway? Or does the SmartThings hub work in terms of Zigbee comms?

Thanks.

I only have three OSRAM Lightify Color bulbs, they work directly with ST, I do not have an Osram hub. Canā€™t talk for their light strips though, but I assume they work just the same.

The official way to use the Osram bulbs is to pair them directly to ST. However you will see in this very thread people recommending firmware updates for the bulbs, to update the firmware (if desired) you would need the lightify hub.

A zigbee device can only belong to one Coordinator at a time. The smartthings hub is a zigbee coordinator, and so is the lightify Gateway. So a lightify bulb may join to one or the other, but not both.

Many people who buy lightify bulbs to use with SmartThings never buy the lightify Gateway. A few people do buy the gateway but only use it when they want to do firmware updates on the bulbs. And this process requires removing the bulb from SmartThings network, joining it to the gateWay, doing the firmware update, then removing it from the gateWay, and joining it back to SmartThings. Which is a lot of work.

Smartthings does hope to eventually add the ability to do over the air firmware updates, but it doesnā€™t have it now.

Most of the time firmware updates add support for some new feature, but if the bulb was previously working well for you, you may not care.

So you definitely do not need the gateway to use lightify bulbs with SmartThings. And if you do get the gateway, it will spend most of the time sitting on a shelf not connected to anything, and you will only use it if you want to update the firmware of your bulbs.

I have just set mine up and updated then removed from the Osram gateway ( it flashed once when doing the on-off 5 times ) However i have put it right next to the Philips hue hub and searched and it will not find it iā€™m using the Hub 1 on the latest firmware 01033370

anyone had issues with the European GU10 and the Philips hub in the UK or europe?

You do not need the hub to use any of the lights.