Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)

I use the Osram hub to update the firmware, and then I’ll move back to ST’s hub. You can remove the bulb from Osram’s hub, and then when doing the reset, start ST’s include process and it will find the bulb again (from what I can remember).

You don’t have to delete the bulb from ST to go back to Osram’s hub, just reset the bulb and rejoin Osram’s hub. When you go back to ST’s hub, it remembers everything about the bulb so you don’t have to redo everything.

The Osram app is nice for controlling the bulb, no doubt; and it allows the bulb to retain settings if manually turned off. The ST app/hub won’t do that without a SmartApp, and that’s not as nice and clean as I’d like.

I did this today for six bulbs. Not fun. You have to turn the bulb on and off for five second intervals (on five second… off five seconds… etc). You are supposed to have to do this 4 times, but it took me up to ten (i finally used an internet timer to keep better track. After you get it, the bulb will flash a couple of times (three i think). It is then ready to pair right away with smartthings. I updated the firmware on mine and then moved them all to ST. Working great, but time consuming.

I should have added that statement to my post too!

Any difference before and after the firmware update?

Bought a few of Lightify bulbs yesterday with the intent to add to ST and Echo (both arriving soon). So, I ought to grab the Lightify gateway so that I can update the bulbs’ firmware and then associate w/ ST?

(former casual X10 user from the 90s)

They should pair directly to the ST hub out of the box, no gateway needed.

You only need the gateway if you want the ability from time to time to update the bulb firmware when Osram releases updates. My guess is that most ST customers never get the Lightify gateway.

Its good to have in case you have connectivity issues like myself. Every Lightify product I got so far had a firmware update waiting for them. I have a recessed RGBW light and some a19 bulbs. Got a garden and cabinet light coming this week and I am sure they have updates as well. But they will work without the gateway and pair directly.

1 Like

Lowes still has a bulb and gateway for about $23 so I think it would be good just in case.

Many thanks for all of your thoughts and all of the time you share in this community.
Cheers

2 Likes

Anyone with insight into how to get the garden spots to pair with ST, I would love to hear from you. following the ST instructions, two different sets of these do not show up in ST.

These garden lights are BRIGHT, but the reset procedure for them is a real PITA. Not that I know for sure that they need to be reset, but I tried it to get them to work.

Did they blink when you first plugged them in? You can try moving it closer to the hub and see if it will connect and then move them to where you want them to be. If they did not blink then you need to reset them, its annoying but its all in timing.

OK, help me figure this basic math out. 9 garden spots w/ power supply are $63 on Amazon. 3 garden spots (add-on) are $29 on amazon (or $87 for 9). Any advantage to using the add-ons vs simply purchasing 9 more garden spots w/ power supply (beyond potentially running an extension cord)?

Also, does the Color Coordinator smart app work with garden spots?

my thought would be can I just plug the two sets of 9 into one power supply ?

Anyone seeing them randomly come on?

I have 27 various bulbs from lightify (US Bulbs) and several will turn off and on. No rules or apps tied to them. They are all firmware updated and if they are on the lightify hub they do not do this.

I have tried default device type and custom device type. Right now I only have 1 on smartthings and it turned on several times last night.

Zigbee network seems stable. They always turn on and off properly. Have 5 of the power outlets spread around the house.

And no other devices are having issues.

Hope someone has an idea.

Thanks

Usually you only see this with bulbs that haven’t had their firmware updated. Have you tried checking the logs to see if ST is sending a command to the bulbs?

Another possibility is an issue on the electrical circuit that is causing mini-surges or something.

First thanks for the help

The lightify app isn’t showing any firmware updates. I updated them all a week ago.

I moved the bulb to another part of the house. It happened twice again. Deleted the bulb and set it on a shelf. Plugged a new one in and same thing randomly turned on in a few hours.

So now I am doing 2 things. There are 27 bulbs on the lightify hub right now. So I am adding the old bulb into the lightify hub. To see if it does it on that network.

I had them all on Smart Things But I couldn’t have lights popping off and on at night.

I am also running IDE live log and hoping I can catch whatever is going on the smartthings hub.

From the list events of the device I just get a Switch On event.

Anyone seen the lightify dimmer switches? They seem to be new.

They look like they’re Zigbee devices made by centralite. There’s a community device type but it’s not fully functional yet apparently.

I’m useless when it comes to writing code, but keeping my fingers crossed others that are better at it than me can work it out. I haven’t found any other device that fits over a (dumb) light switch like this one does.

I have 7 of them. Work great on the lightify hub. As stated not quite baked for smartthings. So nice as they cover the existing switches to keep people from turning lights off manually. Especially for those of us without neutral wires.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to be sending it a command, at 6:22:13 it appears to just turn on…

Trying to figure out my next step…

8d04687b-b7d6-4f48-b3f2-1eef5ed26548 6:22:14 PM: info [name:level, value:100, type:level]
8d04687b-b7d6-4f48-b3f2-1eef5ed26548 6:22:14 PM: debug description is read attr - raw: 755103000808000020FF, dni: 7551, endpoint: 03, cluster: 0008, size: 08, attrId: 0000, encoding: 20, value: ff
ceff7642-f401-4c18-8c22-bfe0aed80a1b 6:22:14 PM: trace cp desc: desc: 03 0104 0101 00 08 0000 0003 0004 0005 0006 0008 0B04 FC0F 01 0019
ceff7642-f401-4c18-8c22-bfe0aed80a1b 6:22:14 PM: trace cp desc: ep_cnt:1, ep:03
ceff7642-f401-4c18-8c22-bfe0aed80a1b 6:22:13 PM: trace cp desc: join
8d04687b-b7d6-4f48-b3f2-1eef5ed26548 6:22:13 PM: info [type:switch, name:switch, value:on]
8d04687b-b7d6-4f48-b3f2-1eef5ed26548 6:22:13 PM: debug description is on/off: 1
ceff7642-f401-4c18-8c22-bfe0aed80a1b 6:22:06 PM: trace cp desc: desc: 01 0104 0002 00 06 0000 0001 0003 0020 0006 0201 02 000A 0019
ceff7642-f401-4c18-8c22-bfe0aed80a1b 6:22:06 PM: trace cp desc: ep_cnt:1, ep:01
ceff7642-f401-4c18-8c22-bfe0aed80a1b 6:22:04 PM: trace cp desc: join

Exactly. I’ve got four GE link bulbs in an overhead fixture and this would go a long way towards upping the WAF.

1 Like

Interesting find last night. I’m still trying to 100% verify.

But it appears only the fixed dimmable but non tunable lightify bulb is randomly turning on.

So on the lightify hub everything works fine and nothing turns on randomly. with both kinds of bulbs.

On the Smartthings hub 2 of the dimmable (not tunable) bulbs randomly turn on in multiple light sockets. Usually once an hour. Sometimes they go for 8 hours. Very intermittent. Nothing in the IDE logs other than they switch on.

and 2 of the Tunable bulbs have never turned on by themselves.

Have flipped them between sockets. Deleted them, reset the bulbs. re-added with different names. Always the same results.

Can anyone else confirm they have a Tunable lightify bulb that randomly turns on. Or is it just the dimmable ones?

I’ll update once I test some more after work tonight.

They are all current with firmware, from the lightify hub.