SmartThings Community

Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)

I’m perfectly fine dealing with those issues as long as I don’t have to deal with the osram hub & able to keep them up to date.

Just sharing. Some people don’t understand. You do. Great.

Can someone confirm for me what device type handler I’m meant to use for these bulbs? Thanks.

ZigBee RGBW Bulb

1 Like

Hey All!

New ST user… I’ve got the email about 16.12 firmware. I think this update only means OTA updates… I’ve updated all my OSRAM with the gateway, so they are all current, and so is my ST. The question is, does this help with local processing of OSRAM?? I am having a heck of a time making sure my lights work if they internet goes away (The reason I went with Z-WAVE and ZigBee, because ST markets these to execute locally! I’ve seen it happen!!)

If I apply the DeviceHandler profile of “GE Link” for example to the OSRAM, and the “Z-Wave Metering Switch” to my Leviton VRMX1, I can get the lights to turn on and off, even with the internet unplugged (simulating a common problem). Because I have a Z-Wave DIMMER with load control, I have to disable load control and use it as a “Scene Controller” because of the smart lighting. Othwise, looking at a big switch investment, and I’m not confident it will work anyhow locally becuase “Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Generic” also isn’t assigned to the LocalDevices.

Literally spent the weekend looking at how I can actually make a Z-Wave Dimmer from Leviton and and OSRAM RT 5/6 work as local devices, and it seems the only way is to assign them a different DeviceHandler then I lose all the features! (No Dimming, No RBGW)… If I could only just make sure the lights switched on and off AND I can use ST app with all the features when the internet is alive.

If the internet was down I am not so interested in RGBW or dimming… But the manual switch (which really is a Z-Wave ON/OFF control for OSRAM using Smart Lighting.

The issue is, if I INCLUDE load control, and someone touches the dimmer, I’ve got issues with the lights possibly dying because I am not supplying full power…

I’m stuck. Anyone here with the same issues? How do you force a DeviceHandler to operate locally? Seems to be nothing in the code that controls this, almost like ST assigns on the backend, “Allow GE Link Locally”. Why not allow “Z-Wave Dimmer Generic” locally because heck where else would a Z-Wave dimmer be?

It seems anything you code yourself doesn’t qualify for local execution, but all the devices are local and clearly work locally with another DeviceHandler applied!

At the present time, no custom code of any kind can run locally. Smartthings was originally designed as a cloud-based architecture, and it still mostly is. The problem that they have is that anything that is going to run locally has to be downloaded to every customer as it becomes part of the hub’s firmware. They just don’t have a way to let an individual customer run their own code locally right now. So the only things that run locally are the device type handlers that the company has selected to give to every single customer.

As far as what to do about the Osram bulbs when the Internet is down, as long as this is something that doesn’t happen very often, you just need any switch that can control the power to the bulbs. Then in an outage situation, use that switch for on/off. But you aren’t going to get all the features when the Internet is down.

If you take SmartThings out of the picture, The Leviton can operate locally and the Osram Lightify bulbs can operate locally, but there’s no way to use the Leviton to control the Osram bulbs.

If you want local operation with SmartThings, you have to stick with devices that use the official device type handlers that have been confirmed to run locally.

1 Like

Well the scheduled hub update time came and no update applied to hub, but bulbs now show:

Current Version: 0x01020189
Target Version: 0x01020492

Click check now in the IDE, power cycle the bulbs, or wait for it. It will happen.

Also make sure to enable zigbee updates on your hub.

Yep, was defaulted off, turned on OTA and all bulbs (even my GE bulbs) updated in minutes except the problem child. Removed and Added bad bulb and toggled the OTA and again firmware updated in a few mins and now all bulbs perform 10 times better…

1 Like

Osram expert ?

Does anyone know where the Fade transition function can be found for the Osram bulbs?
I have many of these, one does the fade on / off but the others do not. Unlike the GE LINK bulbs (have less of these) within the mobile app settings you can set this function up.

I am using FW 20492 on a couple of Osram bulbs - one fades -others do not . . DH same on all ->zigbee white color temp bulb.

Support says this is being looked into.

Any insight appreciated.

I am trying to remember I have about 8 or 10 bulbs. 4 still in the box I didn’t need. All the RGBW fade but I don’t thinkt he two white ones I have fade.

There is a ZigBee parameter on/off transition time. By default it is disabled (set to 0x0000) though I think some bulbs (firmware) now have this set on by default. This parameter controls how long the light should fade off or on. It also controls the fade time if 0xFFFF is sent during move to level commands. I’m guessing that is what SmartThings is doing behind the scenes with their new setLevel ZigBee command.

Since the default DTH will not let you change the on/off transition time parameter, you are stuck with what they are currently set to. If one of your bulbs has it set and the other two are disabled you will see the issues you are having.

To fix this switch to the GE Link DTH and set the parameter. After doing so you can switch back to ZigBee white color bulb and everything should fade.

@jhamstead @joewom
Thank you so much for the response. Makes perfect sense.

i will switch the DTH to GE and see if I can get it to set and hold that parameter.
I like the function … and when pay this amount of $ for a light bulb you would like ALL the functions to work (IMO).

Thanks again, much appreciation!

I agree that it should be added to their new DTHs but they are building them to be universal. The on/off transition time attribute is not required by ZigBee HA specifications; so it is possible some vendors choose to not implement it.

It is one of the annoyances I have with the GE ZigBee switches as they did not incorporate that attribute.

2 Likes

From my experience with Osram bulbs and the Osram Gateway (before I bought my ST), the firmware update added the fade effect. So while you might be able to force them to fade with ST, the bulb firmware should do it - just make sure you update all the bulbs.

I do have a couple BR30 bulbs that I upgraded and somehow are still acting as if they don’t have the update. Osram support said it happens once in a while and the problem should be fixed with the next firmware update (no clue when it’ll be released).

BTW, the latest firrmware update enables some cool features if you have the Osram Gateway: vacation mode, wake-up light, TV simulation, color loops, etc. I’m sure these can be replicated with CoRE, but they’re one click buttons in the Lightify app. If anyone knows of an easy way to replicate these in ST, I’m all ears!

1 Like

I’ve found this DTH to work great with most OSRAM RGBW products:

4 Likes

Whoa, you’re my hero! Not only do I have better colors (couldn’t quite pick the deep colors in ST before), but I also made my first device handler!

PS. What’s the lowest color temperature these bulbs support? I saw it listed as both 1900 and 2700. I think I saw 1900 on the Lightify app at some point, but the lowest I see it in ST is 2700 (even with this new DTH).

1 Like

I believe 2700 is the lowest…the A19’s packaging indicate as such

Yup, I see that - strange that the Amazon and Lowe’s listings have it as 1900K.

I’ll pair a bulb to the Osram Gateway tomorrow and see if it goes down to 1900 …