[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

Thanks Jani, I will do some tests later on, by the way how can your sensor report pressure? Are you using a different brand? I shopped around but cannot see any Smartthings supported temp sensor. ( probably just because only a small range is available in Australia market )

Are you using Xiami sensors
 or Xiaomi Aqara sensors? I have couple of Aqara sensors:
https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_626702.html

“Detects the temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure condition”

EDIT: If you don’t have Aqara
make sure that you are using right device handler and not Aqara handler.

I love this place, just installed the dh for the aqara humidity sensor, and now I have a working device, I was going to out it on eBay through not having it working, battery level doesn’t show but the humidity does, and my daughters pet bearded dragon thanks you.

Thank you Jani, I use the Xiaomi version not Aqara, Aqara is quite advanced comparing with Xiaomi.

Your guess is right, temperature will only show in log when it actually changes.

Love these little cheap motion sensors. I currently have 4 of these, added a 5th one the other day. But having just looked at ST app it says this particular one is unavailable. Originally I thought I may have placed it too far from the ST hub so re added it and placed it near the hub but it’s came up as unavailable again. Never had this issue with any others.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

You might want to try a brand new battery. That helped me with a similar issue.

Never thought Of that given it’s brand new but I’ll definitely try that. Cheers.

Hmmm very annoying.
Tried a few batteries now so that rules that out. Anytime I manage to get it reconnected, after like an hour or so it becomes unavailable. Frustrated.

Im surprised that 3 years in with the aqara crap there are still people trying to make them work. I guess sometimes you just gotta believe. Or buy a sensor that works reliably.

1 Like

That’s true. I’m still using few xiaomis but slowly getting rid of them. They are not reliable as a home automation sensors and user have to pair them at least 12 times / year cause they go offline.

1 Like

Although they are a pain to pair, once done they are remarkably reliable. I only have one door sensor that drops off. All my motion sensors and temp/humidity sensors have been rock solid. Perhaps its my environment with only SmartThings, Xiaomi and Orvibo zigbee sensors connected and no repeaters?

Who knows. I have removed 25 xiaomi sensors from my setup and things have never worked as solid as now. There’s still 10 xiaomis left and three of them goes offline once per month. Those 7 seems to be still online (2,5 months from last re- pair).
I bought them because they are cheap. That’s it.

But now it’s time to move on and all new sensors that I buy (and bought already) are zwave anyways. Just love the difference when there’s no interference issues with hue and wifi and biggest thing is that my sensors are online all the time :slight_smile:

So. Can you recommend a cheap working temperature/humidity sensor? :slight_smile:

I can’t. :frowning: Don’t know about the others.
Just bought Fibaro motion sensor for that (and motion) purpose.

I haven’t found any cheap zwave sensors :smiley: They all costs a lot more that basic zigbee sensors. Xiaomis are super cheap but I want to pay little more to keep my home automation online without need to check few times per day that “how many sensors are offline and need to be paired again”.

Never had any drop off’s with my Xiaomi’s
 It all comes down to the quality of your zigbee network/mesh

3 Likes

Ok, I decided to try a Xiaomi Aqara temperature sensor. I have installed the DHT but are stucked. What value should I give to “network device ID” it is required.

I assume the at least one of the other batteries you tried was literally “new.” I think the other typical considerations are that you haven’t exceeded the direct connection limit of 32 zigbee devices and you don’t have a zigbee repeater on the network that doesn’t play nicely with Aqara/Xiaomi sensors. Other than that, you could try reseting the device by holding down the reset button more than 3 seconds. You may just have dud.

Yes new battery.
I have 2 ST power sockets so I figured they would be repeaters. One of the older gen and one of the newer ones
What bugs me is it works for like an hour then suddenly goes offline.

ST power sockets do not work as repeaters for the Xiaomi sensors. Your best bet is to re-add and leave within 2 meters of the hub until the sensors starts reporting battery events. If you’re watching/refreshing the hub events during the join process then make sure you see the zbjoin message before you end the join mode.

Ah ok I didn’t realise the ST wouldn’t act as repeaters for them. I’m pretty sure the last attempt I left it near the hub for a day only for me to come back and see it ‘unavailable lol again but I’ll try again.