[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

My Temp/Humidity sensor is also having similar issue.

The temperature and humidity reading updates for about 20 minutes, then it stops updating. After an hour or two, it becomes unavailable on the SmartThings app.

I noticed if you press the button on the sensor once, it updates the sensor data, and stops updating again…

Anyone else facing this issue?

Note: i have every other xiaomi devices and they all work fine, it’s just this temp/humidity sensor… i have not met the 32 devices limit yet

There is still no way of doing this, for reasons that have been repeatedly explained on this thread, including here:

That’s good news that it was not a SmartThings or DTH issue, but bad news you received one faulty sensor.

Do you have any ZigBee devices that operate on mains power, and not on batteries?

Most mains-powered ZigBee devices can also act as “repeaters” which will allow other ZigBee devices to connect to them and then pass data from/to the hub.

Many ZigBee repeater devices are not compatible with Xiaomi / Aqara devices, for reasons that have been mentioned before:

I do have mains power ZigBee devices(ZigBee bulbs and power plug), but I have already tried to unplug these when connecting the temp/humidity sensor and still get the same result.
Just out of curiosity, I tried to connect a Xiaomi push button under the same condition and the button does not drop connection. This led me to believe this issue is device specific.
I currently have 7 other Xiaomi sensors/buttons all connected under similar condition, and all of them works without an issue…
Thanks for your help!

I used to drop my Xiaomi devices regularly when they were (likely) out of range from the ST hub when using Samsung power sockets (range expending) but I have recently added four Ikea Tradfri sockets to ST and my Xiaomi devices seem to have stabilised since.

I have nothing scientific to add to this I’m afraid - have no zigbee sniffer or anything. Just an observation after a few days of unusual stability.

Thanks for reporting that. I recently bought a IKEA Tradfri Outlet myself, and can confirm it works great as a repeater device for Xiaomi & Aqara sensors / buttons / etc. to extend your ZigBee mesh network range.

Well, I also noticed the same behaviour on the new sensor.
Could this happen because the sensor is connected to the hub via Ikea tradfri light? The sensor is located in the hall where I also have Ikea bulb about 3 meters away and because there is a wall between the hub and the sensor I assume the sensor is talking via the light. The 3rd sensor that is not causing problems, has no repeaters nearby and I assume it is communicating to the hub directly.

I had not thought about that possible situation because usually Xiaomi / Aqara devices just don’t remain connected to most repeater-capable devices. But it is actually possible that if your your motion sensor is connecting through an IKEA Tradfri bulb, not all messages are getting passed on to your hub. As I understand it IKEA Tradfri bulb operate using the ZLL (ZigBee Light Link) standard, while Xiaomi / Aqara devices use ZHA (ZigBee Home Automation), and I have read reports from people saying that their IKEA Tradfri bulbs do not work well with Xiaomi / Aqara devices.

Unfortunately, there is no way to control whether a ZigBee repeating device will “decide” to route the network connection of another ZigBee device, because the nature of ZigBee mesh networking is for devices to handle making those decisions automatically.

However, to test the theory you could cut the power to that Tradfri bulb and see if the Aqara motion detector starts working as expected.

I have a v1 Hub, which I know I can’t enable insecure rejoin on… is this the update you’re referring to (and the reason why I can’t keep the Aqara connected?)

It wasn’t the Tradfri light. I switched off all lights and I was still receiving only illumination. Then I took out one Osram power socket that I am temporary using to control the Christmas tree lights and is also in line of sight of the sensor, separated by a glass door only and everything started to work. I repowered all devices and during the tests I swapped the Ikea bulb with Osram and currently everything works.
I should have noticed that all the problems started after we put the Christmas tree while the Ikea bulb was on the place long before I installed the sensor and I didn’t notice issues.
I am aware that the sensor might start communicating via the Osram power socket again, but the Christmas tree will disappear within few days so I can live with it.

Same thing happened to me. My temp/humidity sensor kept losing a connection after the initial connection. It would find the battery level after about 10 minutes. About an hour later, it would find the battery level and that would be the end of it. A couple hours later, Smartthings would report a lost connection.

I had to reset/repair about 5x before it finally stuck. Real pain but now I’m fully paired and working (for the past week)

Ah, I see. Well, OSRAM Sylvania ZigBee devices have also been reported to cause troubles for Xiaomi / Aqara devices when repeating through the OSRAM devices.

As far as I know the issue isn’t related to whether insecure rejoin is enabled or not. It has to do with what’s called “end device aging” timeout for ZigBee devices. Xiaomi / Aqara devices don’t check in frequently enough to avoid going past that timeout period on certain hubs (likely including the v1 hub.)

If a ZigBee end device hasn’t checked in before the timeout period, the hub boots it off the network. Then, when the device finally tries to check in, the hub sends a “rejoin” request. Xiaomi / Aqara devices don’t rejoin as requested, which is non-standard behavior. That’s where the issue lies.

2 Likes

Thanks for the details! I really wish I could keep these things connected!

I’ve got 3 of these.
2 of them have been working no problem, but I cannot get this 3rd to pair at all.

Any tips?

EDIT: Works as soon as I post this

Hi I’m new to ST, already manaded to add Aqara TH sensor but struggling with WXKG02LM.
Can anyone advice how to pair it? I’m using ST Hub v3 EU running on 000.024.00022 FW.
DH I’m using https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bspranger/Xiaomi/master/devicetypes/bspranger/xiaomi-aqara-button.src/xiaomi-aqara-button.groovy

Edit:
1.Hold any of buttons for 10s until switch will start blinking
2.Then add device in ST
3. In WEB Change device type to Xiaomi Aqara Button

Not sure if this is possible, so if someone can assist it would be great.

I’m using the Aqara motion sensor with Lux with the latest DH. The downside of these motion sensors is that lux is only calculated when there is motion, however the problem here is if your in the Room with the light on, motion is detected and lux is say 100. But when you leave the room, lux is still at 100.

I was thinking that I might be able to use webcore and write up a routine to say when no motion and lights are off, set the Motions Lux value to a value, but I do not see any such options in Webcore.

Does anyone know if this is possible to achieve?

Thank you for all your effort.
I just installed the 1.3.5b version on the new version of the button (WXKG11LM ) and the DH seems to function and recognize the unit as ( [Aqara Button WXKG11LM]
Pressing a button and releasing it does create an event on ST.

My biggest grief is that honestly, I can’t remember why I ordered these buttons last month.
I am totally drawing a blank one here, I ordered 2 of these units for a purpose but can’t think of a reason why.
At the time, I was playing around with a MyQ hub and maybe it had something to do with that - or - maybe I was looking for some kind of an automation with a press of a button.
Anyhow, given that I can’t think of a use for them right now, it is probably just going to sit around gathering dust until I can think of another useful reason :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your hard work.

1 Like

Hello folks, I just have in hands a round aqara temperature sensor and a digi’s XBEE series 2.
I tried many of the config tips shown here, but I failed to make aqara to connect to my zigbee set up as a router.

Should I expect to have aqara to connect to the xbee? Is there a way to read aqara’s measurements thru the XBEE?

Thank you for your help!

Have you downloaded the XCTU software onto your computer so you can see a map of your zigbee devices and how they are routing?

Yes, I downloaded XCTU, loaded the conf with the encription key, etc, but I see nothing.

All I have is this XBee with XB24-ZB_23A7 router api firmware and one Aqara round temperature sensor.

Here is the config I am trying: https://pastebin.com/8cXHtj8W

I tried to connect aqara holding button till 3 blinks, and then press every 2~3 seconds, but no joy.

Thanks!