[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

I have plenty of them since 2 weeks the working perfectly fine without any connection to all motion sensor I have more than six and they all working fine

what devicehandle do you use?

bspranger/Xiaomi

@veeceeoh
Does that mean that ST v3 with the current firmware will work without dropping connection ?
This is game changer for me as I have issue finding v2 hubs that send to Israel while v3 is easier to find .

@Kidd
What Xiaomi sensors you use except the the Temp one ?

I don’t have a v3 hub myself so I can’t make any guarantees, but user @Kidd has reported success:

Hi

I got rather strange situation. Among approx 10 Xiaomi devices I also have 2 Aqara motion detectors lumi.sensor_motion.aq2. One of them is occasionally unavailable but In the recent status I can see that the sensor is sending battery and illumination flux updates about once per hour, but it is not sending any motion update? I am running on v2 hub with the latest firmware.
Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

After being stable for months my motion sensors are also dropping off. Only seems to be 2 of them out of the ten.

Perhaps new firmware was recently released on v2? As it’s only just occured for me in few days.

hi guys
After using the device handlers, do I also need a smartapp?

So today I decided to hook up my Aqara motion sensor that’s been sitting in my bin for awhile. My SmartThings hub detects it, but it doesn’t tell me when there’s motion.

Not sure if the battery is low or something, but when I wave my hand in front i don’t see it turn blue. I assuming it should go blue?

Should normal operating, when detecting motion have it light up blue?

No it doesn’t light up blue.

In normal operation the sensor will report motion and then shut up for a minute. If you want it to be more chatty while testing it simply press the button on it briefly and it goes into a range test mode for a couple of hours, during which time it reports all motion.

Hi, I have tried to search but nothing came up, maybe I’m searching for the incorrect words. I have recently added a couple of the Aqara temp and hunidity sensors. Is there a way to make it report less often? I don’t need that accurate updates, once an hour or so would be fine to save battery. Thanks

Someone has posted about the same issue on GitHub.

The Xiaomi / Aqara sensors are designed to send a illuminance level message only when motion is detected. So there should be debug messages for both illuminance and motion detected seen in the Live Logging page when logged into your hub’s IDE.

Without seeing those log entries, it’s pretty much impossible to troubleshoot the problem.

By “dropping off” do you mean they are not on the network at all anymore, or they just don’t report motion detection (and still report lux and battery level) as @D_Gjorgjievski explained above?

The blue light does not light up when motion is detected - The only indication of motion detected is in the SmartThings mobile app or in the Live Logging page when logged into the IDE for your hub.

Are you seeing illuminance Lux reports and/or battery level being reported?

Unfortunately no. The Xiaomi / Aqara sensors’ configuration cannot be changed. The temp / humidity sensors’ hardware is designed to send reports only when the temperature / humidity / pressure has changed by a certain amount. So that could be as frequent as every few seconds, and as infrequent as a few times a day. The regular check-in / battery level message is sent every 50-60 minutes.

Hi Keith @veeceeoh ,

Like you, I live in Oregon, and as you know we have to always keep an eye on humidity, that’s the highest concern for us been in the northwest.
I have several Aqara Temp/Humidity Sensors and they seems to work great with my ST hub v2, I don’t have any repeaters right now but I might get one from this thread
https://community.smartthings.com/t/another-zigbee-repeater-solution-with-temperature-humidity-pressure-and-light-sensors/

As I understand, they work pretty well with Xiaomi devices.

I recently decided to get an Original Temp/Humidity sensor to see if there is a difference with the Aqara, and indeed there is, I noticed that the Aqaras give me the correct temp/humidity information, while the Original has a big offset on both, Temperature and Humidity.
Any chance that you have seen the same?
Interested to see why that big difference, I’m using the DTH from https://github.com/bspranger/Xiaomi/tree/master/devicetypes/bspranger
as recommended, the aqara for aqara sensors and the other temperature for the original one.
I’m curious what are your readings and if any of you see any difference in the values.

Thanks

Thank you very much for the explanation. Too bad it can’t be set, when using it indoors it’s very convenient that its simple and only reports when needed. But I planned to put one in the fridge, and the temp in the fridge is always fluctuating a couple of degrees, on top of that the battery must cope with the lower temp.

I compared the logs for the three sensors I put up so far, and the indoor and the outdoor ones, where the temperature is rather steady only reported once or twice an hour. But the one in the fridge sends a temperature update by an average of every forth minute (measured over 24h)

Hi @veeceeoh,

The sensor started working few days ago and then again stopped this morning. I didn’t do anything, no restart of the hub etc but yesterday I saw e-mail that the hub firmware was updated to
Firmware Version 000.024.00020 on 10th of December.

Here is what I see in the log

41487b18-715f-4ae5-bde1-1c0954520655
05:59:36:debug Z01a Hodnik Gore parse returned: [name:battery, value:100, unit:%, isStateChange:true, descriptionText:Z01a Hodnik Gore Battery at 100% (3.045 Volts)]

41487b18-715f-4ae5-bde1-1c0954520655 05:59:36:debug SmartShield(text: null, manufacturerId: 0x115f, direction: 0x01, data: [0x01, 0xff, 0x42, 0x21, 0x01, 0x21, 0xe5, 0x0b, 0x03, 0x28, 0x15, 0x04, 0x21, 0xa8, 0x43, 0x05, 0x21, 0x18, 0x00, 0x06, 0x24, 0x08, 0x00, 0x07, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0a, 0x21, 0x0c, 0xbb, 0x64, 0x10, 0x00, 0x0b, 0x21, 0x06, 0x00], number: null, isManufacturerSpecific: true, messageType: 0x00, senderShortId: 0x04d4, isClusterSpecific: false, sourceEndpoint: 0x01, profileId: 0x0104, command: 0x0a, clusterId: 0x0000, destinationEndpoint: 0x01, options: 0x0000)

41487b18-715f-4ae5-bde1-1c0954520655 05:59:36:debug Z01a Hodnik Gore parsing: catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0000 00 04D4 00 01 115F 0A 01 01FF42210121E50B0328150421A84305211800062408000700000A210CBB6410000B210600

41487b18-715f-4ae5-bde1-1c0954520655 05:59:10:debug Z01a Hodnik Gore parse returned: [name:illuminance, value:6, unit:lux, isStateChange:true, descriptionText:Z01a Hodnik Gore illuminance was 6 lux]

41487b18-715f-4ae5-bde1-1c0954520655 05:59:10:debug Z01a Hodnik Gore parsing: illuminance: 6

41487b18-715f-4ae5-bde1-1c0954520655 05:58:09:debug Z01a Hodnik Gore parse returned: [name:illuminance, value:6, unit:lux, isStateChange:true, descriptionText:Z01a Hodnik Gore illuminance was 6 lux]

41487b18-715f-4ae5-bde1-1c0954520655 05:58:09:debug Z01a Hodnik Gore parsing: illuminance: 6

and below is the sensor in the app

Firstly, I want to check that you are using the Aqara Motion Sensor DTH v1.1 available here.

If you are using the v1.1 DTH, the what you’re experiencing isn’t because of the DTH. The code is designed to show every message received from the motion sensor, and the log output you copied does not include any motion detected message. With Aqara motion sensors, every motion detected message always occurs along with an illuminance lux level message, so we should also see a debug log message that starts with “parsing: read attr -”.

Because your sensor started showing motion detected events a few days ago and then stopped doing that again, I have to guess the problem is either:

1. A hardware problem with the sensor itself, or
  2. An issue with the SmartThings hub passing on the motion detected messages to the DTH

I use the latest DTH v1.1 .
Any idea how to debug the problem?

We have already looked at the debug log output from the DTH. The problem is not with the DTH.

You said you have 2 motion sensors, correct? Is the other one working correctly, even after the hub update?

If that other sensor is still working correctly, then the sensor that is not working is very likely having a hardware issue. I have no idea how to fix that.

Steps to try before giving up on the problematic sensor:

1. Remove the sensor from your hubs device list.
  2. Remove the battery from the sensor, wait 1 minute, then reinstall the battery
  3. Pair the sensor with hub
  4. Test the sensor to see if motion detected messages / events are seen

Remember that when a Aqara / Xiaomi motion sensor is paired or the reset button is short-pressed, the hardware goes into test mode which means it can send a motion detected message every 4-5 seconds. After about two hours, it goes into normal mode and will only send motion detected messages every 60 seconds.

Thanks. The other one is working fine so far. Also the bad one is few months old. I also have one spare that I bought for future expansion, I will replace it if the battery reset fails