[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

I have 3 of the monoprice 4 in 1 multi-sensors. I hate them. Slow too report, battery life sucks.

1 Like

Yes, easy enough to do. But unfortunately, the ST mobile app user interface is so very limiting. With adding a ā€œfeels likeā€ tile, if a variable color background is added, then you only have the space of a small circle to work with, and two lines of very very short text. Something like ā€œFLā€ for the top line, and the temperature value below? And thereā€™s the problem with only one set of colors being available, so itā€™s either based on C or F, or a compromise between the two.

This chart ranges from 21 to 43C (but iā€™ll assume it goes lower), I try to maintain my house at about 19/20 (i guess most people are around 18-21 (65-69F ish)). Looking at the variance over lower temps (and assuming the values follow a standard curve) the ā€œreal feelā€ and actual temperature would only be nominally different (1 degree maybe) in most cases. I like the idea in principal, just not sure if this would actually add anything.

@veeceeoh - I so wish they allowed background colors without the circle - a very limiting design decision - particularly since you canā€™t do anything with font sizeā€¦

1 Like

First off, dang you like it cold, I would feel frozen in your house, AC air and I am starting to feel coldish around 23deg, I would aim for around 22-24 C. The chart is a heat index, hence the fact it starts fairly high, but as I mentioned I found a thesis that studied it for use in indoor cooling.

As it uses both Temp and Humidity the variation between it and actual temp varies dependent on the humidity, it will depend on how humid you climate is as to the differences you will see, I live in a relatively humid climate as see about 5 deg difference, I am also looking for a single value to use for automation of AC, thus far this is the best I have managed to find.

Here are some recent values from my lounge room.

we have different notions of comfort I guess, if i opened my doors just now my temp sensons would be around -6C, in about 4 months it will be 30C.

What does the (UK) government say about temperature?
A recent government study found that in the UK, the average temperature of a home is 17.7Ā°C, whilst the recommended level is 21Ā°C (70Ā°F).

I was brought up in Scotland so i kinda still have the above habbits.

Interesting, I guess the goals need to adjust to external climates, we never see negative values and our recent highs have been 45-46 C.

Most ACā€™s recommend a maximum differential of 8 deg to external temperature. And you arr hit with extra 10% power usage for each degree of temp on your thermostat, current efficiency recommendations for thermostat settings are ā€œSet the thermostat to 18ā€“20Ā°C in winter and 25ā€“27Ā°C in summer.ā€

But probably getting a little off topic here :slight_smile:

Wob

Since weā€™re talking about the Temp/Humidity Sensorā€¦
Does anyone elseā€™s sensor report at an amazing rate?

Notice the battery is reporting at a pretty astounding rate.
This was captured while using the bspranger : Xiaomi Temperature Humidity Sensor Device Handler (DH). It doesnā€™t seem to be causing any huge drain on the battery, from what I can tell at this point. Itā€™s been doing this for about a week or so (every since changing to this DH. No, I didnā€™t notice the reporting frequency when using the a4refillpad DH for the sensor.
Am I the only one seeing this?

(Original Temo humidity) Mine is reporting about every hour. 9:41 PM EST then 10:38PM EST

I have the Aqara model, and it reports every 50-60 minutes. If you have the ā€œoriginalā€ Temp/Humidity sensor (without the light sensor), the battery report is sent about every 60 minutes.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the a4refilpad DH does not read the voltage data correctly, so it doesnā€™t report the correct battery percentage.

There may be an issue with the bspranger DH, but a new version with overhauled code is about to be released. Currently itā€™s being tested by a few contributors on GitHub, including myself.

If youā€™d like to test the upcoming updated ā€œoriginalā€ Xiaomi T/H sensor DH, you can grab it here.

If you do try it, I would love to hear any feedback, especially about whether it fixes the frequent battery reports.

Thank you!!! Love the new DTH, so many options. Which button controls the vibrator?

Youā€™re funny. :grinning:

But seriously let me know how you like it. I tested it quite thoroughly with my Aqara sensor (the temp/humidity functions work in the exact same way), and itā€™s all working perfectly as far as I have seen.

All kidding aside the layout is great, and the information looks accurate, going by my inside logging. I will know better tomorrow. The one limitation is the one created by SmartThings. The stupid light Gray type on white background.

I grabbed a copy, plopped it in as the DH and will hopefully be able to give you an update tomorrow evening. So far I like the looks of it. Thanks.

Glad to hear it!

Just one thing to know - The lastCheckin is no longer displayed in the ā€œRecentlyā€ tab of the mobile app. This is because it is just a duplicate for every ā€œnormalā€ event, in other words every time the temperature, humidity, pressure, or battery was reported, there was also a lastCheckin event.

None of the Xiaomi sensors actually ever check in, or if it does, the DH doesnā€™t receive a message for that. So the lastCheckin just takes up space in the ā€œRecentlyā€ tab of events. Anyone who is wondering if their idle sensor is still alive and connected should just look for battery percentage reports within the last 1-2 hours. When youā€™re not seeing other reports (temp, humidity, pressure, motion detected, open/close, wet/dry, etc.) then the battery reporting is the one consistent message sent about every hour. Hereā€™s an example screenshot from one of my Door/Window sensors:

Thereā€™s my proof that itā€™s still connected, every 50 minutes (for the Aqara sensors).

However, note that the lastCheckin event is still recorded in order to update the ā€œLast Eventā€ tile so you can quickly see when the sensor last sent a message to your ST hub. I hope all of that makes sense.

Good thing you mentioned that, I would think something is wrong. Add it to the release notes, as it is important to know.

Most definitely! Another really great thing is you can now see twice as many of the temperature / humidity and battery reports in the ā€œRecently tabā€!

EDIT - If you saw this post earlier describing continuous motion detection, it only happens while the sensor is in test mode, for the first couple of hours after the sensor is paired, or if the reset button is short-pressed.

I have gone through all of the Aqara Motion Sensor device handler code, and after removing unnecessary and error-prone parts of the code, and looking at the motion reset preference issue, I managed to get that setting to work correctly.

I am extremely happy with how the device handler code is working with my Aqara sensor, but I really want some others to test it to see how it works for them.

If you have an Aqara Motion Sensor and would like to try out the new device handler code with continuous motion detection, feel free to grab it here.

Since itā€™s working beautifully with my sensor, thereā€™s very low risk of issues, but please know this is a pre-release version.

Works OK for setting the time before motion is reset. Tried different intervals and it works OK.
What do you mean by continuous motion.
Sorry if Iā€™m being thick here.

(original Temp Humidity) This new DTH works real well, so far nothing I see wrong. When will official release be?