[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

I agree - it’s very culturocentric - I grew up w/ Centigrade (Venezuela) and now am used to Fahrenheit = after many years in US - and color coding really is a big deal for user interface… and I assume that Korea is C - very few countries other than US are still on F.

Yeah, 24 solar panels, Inverter and a Smart Meter, so it includes both solar production and power usage.

Posted my DH here, first attempt :slight_smile:

Also - there used to be a way to switch what you wanted in your main tile (e.g., temp versus humidity - they deprecated it a while ago and who knows when it’s coming back) - I find that frustrating - sometimes I care about humidity, sometimes I care about temp - wish I had the choice what to accentuate without switching DTHs

On that topic, re temp\humidity, I have been looking at a “Feels Like” temperature, using the Humidex Index (a Canadian Heat Index) as I read an interesting study that showed it was a good index for how the temperature feels to people. It is a formula based on Temperature and Humidity, I am looking to incorporate it into some AC automation.

Anyway, I have added it to a test tile on my copy of this DH doing some testing, but it can be delayed due to the state issue (uses previous runs temp\humidity), but humidity seems to follow temp, and doesn’t change as fast, so I think the value will still be usable.

I only implemented yesterday so I’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

I too have the Connect Home and all xiaomi sensors won’t stay connected with the Brien’s old DH and a4refillpad’s…so I gave up for months and hoping someone will come up with a solution.

Will try with this new version DH and see if it stays connected. I brought the Connect Home before Canada starts selling it and now I don’t know if I should buy a V2 Hub from the US and try out my luck or just looking for sth other than smartthings…spent $130 for the Connect Home, $100 on the sensors and another $100 for the hub that I don’t know if it will be more reliable? hmmmm…:thinking:

Very interesting. I’m pretty sure I know how to get the updates to happen as quick as possible. Could be put in a 2x2 tile. There’s space for another tile, would look good. Maybe in a future update.

With all the preferences and options now put into the Temperture/Humidity sensor device handler, it feels like it’s entering into SmartApp territory. What a shame that SmartThings has limited the functionality of some aspects of the code in device handlers.

I have it in a 2x2 at the moment, but I think the code behind it needs to be tweaked by someone who knows what they are doing :slight_smile:

I’ll sync my version into my git shortly and post for you to have a look.

Edit:
Here is my modified version, haven’t cleaned up anything as I’m on my phone at the moment.

1 Like

So -I came up with the current humidity colors which were just added to the DTHs last week based on this -

I like the idea of a “feels like” too!

backgroundColors:[
			[value: 0, color: "#FFFCDF"],
			[value: 4, color: "#FDF789"],
			[value: 20, color: "#A5CF63"],
			[value: 23, color: "#6FBD7F"],
			[value: 56, color: "#4CA98C"],
			[value: 59, color: "#0072BB"],
			[value: 76, color: "#085396"]                                    
		]

A “feels like” option sounds great!

1 Like

Has anyone here tried both the Original and Aqara T/H sensors and established a strong preference for one over the other? Bathroom exhaust fan and space heater are next on the list of things to automate.

They both work fine for me - the Aqara also has barometric pressure. Also the Aquara (square) is MUCH easier to open. The original (round one) you have to stick it to something to open it up - or ruin its slot. I’d go for the Aqara.

1 Like

I was thinking of doing my bathroom fan, but not sure how well these Humidity sensors would work in a damp location.

1 Like

So far my Aqara temp/humidity sensor has been working fine in my damp bathroom. I never tried the original round temp/humidity sensor in a bathroom setting but probably expect them to perform fairly close I bet.

1 Like

Thanks all. I was considering using a Monoprice or Zooz 4-in-one instead, so I can use motion for the lights, but the more expensive sensor + an additional switch is more than I can spend on toys at the moment so Aqara here I come.

1 Like

I have an aqara temp in a wet room (italian shower), its linked to my vmc (mechanical ventilation) to activate when humidity goes over 70% and to go off when at 60%ish. It reads 100% humidité during and just after shower, i have no reservations about using the aqTempHum Sensor in this room or about its fragility. Go for it.

1 Like

My original Xiaomi has been fine for over a year in the bathroom

Then I guess that is my next project.

Just as a note - I used the humidity indicator to turn on the fan when humidity went above x until it went below x. (I forget what values). It worked well until there times in the summer that it was really humid in the house anyhow - so it wouldn’t stop blowing :slight_smile: (e.g., no way to get the humidity down enough with just the bathroom fan). Even so the xiaomi worked like a champ.

I’ve switched to motion sensors for the fan - (if someone’s in bathroom for more than 45 seconds turn on fan until a minute after they have left - if someone is in shower for more than 2 minutes (separate motion detector) - put fan into shower mode - which starts it going and then runs it for 20 minutes after bathroom is empty - then goes back to normal mode.

Still, humidity sensor might work just great for you - depending on your bathroom, fan, and heating/cooling.

Have fun!

Guys
Just a quick “Thank You” for all the work on these DTH.

Sucessfully just installed
2x temp sensors
3x leak sensors
2x door sensors

After a couple of hours everything is still reporting correctly
(Inc battery as far as I can tell)

Andy.

2 Likes

I have an original one thats been working OK for 6 months now.
Here is a piston I use to turn the bathroom fan on and off.

1 Like

Colors look good, with the “feels like” I am using I have just left the colors the same as the temp sensor, but the levels of comfort and probably a little different, there are a number of charts if your google “Humidex Chart”, but this seems to be a common colour scale, and seems to make some sense.

I also just realised my formula is the one used for C, the base calculations are done with C, then you can just convert to F.