[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

I’m planning to get one of these to use as a washing machine sensor so hopefully one of the guys can get this going or I’ll can have a stab at it with my limited knowledge… As far as using it for motion sensing the PIR ones work flawlessly anyway, unless you need a actual window breakage sensor?

Hi does any one know how to pair the aqara wall switch no natural wire ?

I bought two of the Aqara leak sensors. I have a Samsung Connect Hub.

They are a royal pain to get paired, but after a few attempts and a lot of trial and error, I can get them to paired.

My issue: They go offline a few hours after being paired. As an experiment, I put one right beside the hub - and it still has the same issue.

I also have Hue Lights, a couple of Ikea Tradfri bulbs (also on the Hue bridge), and some Samsung Zigbee leak detectors. They all work fine.

Is there any way to improve the reliability of these things? I gather the device handler isn’t going to make much of a difference in terms of keeping them connected.

I’ve only heard of the Xiaomi sensors working on the v2 hub

That’s my experience as well. Pairing my Xiaomi Aqara Temperature Humidity Sensors is fairly easy, once you understand the process. However, no matter how many times I try they just don’t stay connected to my Home Connect hub. I have two paired to a V2 hub in another location. They have worked for months, no problems. I am VERY disappointed with the Home Connect. Wished I had never got it. It would appear the Home Connect series was designed and produced by a completely team to the original series. Pity, they are so in-compatible. I will never understand why a company does not re-use the code base, and goes off and re-inverts the wheel.

Update: I understand the Home Connect Pro now works with Aqara sensors. Maybe, time to try my Home Connect box again. Is this true?
I purchased another V2 hub. Works great, and was a great price too.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve started work on a DTH for this new Xiaomi device, as discussed over on this thread. Although it’s not exactly the right term, I’m going to stick with calling it the Aqara Vibration Sensor, because it will be too confusing to call it a motion sensor when there’s already a Xiaomi (PIR-style) Motion Sensor. But yes, it does detect motion, just physical motion of the sensor itself rather than detecting motion of other objects by visual means.

The Aqara Vibration Sensor can detect three types of motion:

1. Tilt (likely using an accelerometer)
  2. Vibration
  3. Free fall (a drop of at least 3 inches)

Also, there are 3 levels of sensitivity which a sensor can be set to.

People using other Home Automation platforms are still working on reverse-engineering the non-standard way in which Xiaomi has implemented these functions, and I don’t have one of these sensors (yet!) so it may take a little while to complete a fully finished and functional DTH.

I will post here again when I have an initial beta release of the DTH to share.

5 Likes

Hi, i have noticed my orginal xiaomi motion sensor supported in new smart things app, where as the aqara motion sensor not supported in new smart things.

Good to know - guess that the default non-custom DTH happens to work with the old one but not the new one…

I am giving up on these sensors. I just updated them to the newest (I think) DH from this thread, and got them to re-connect to my hub after about 10 minutes of screwing around with button pressing. About 30 minutes later they had already gone offline again.

They were paired previously, and stayed connected for a few months, but they went inactive a while back, and I didn’t bother with them until yesterday.

[UPDATE] Xiaomi “Original” & Aqara Temperature Humidity Sensor v1.3

Available immediately on the bspranger/Xiaomi GitHub repository. The updated code can be copied directly from these links:

Changelist

• The colors displayed in the main tile should now be appropriate for both Celcius and Fahrenheit

Many thanks to user @cscheiene for this fix (and apologies for the delay in implementing the update!)

2 Likes

Replying to my own comment…

I make one last ditch attempt to get these to work, by completely removing them and re-adding them again.

This seems to have helped - they stayed connected for almost 24 hours now, and both report full battery now (they were reporting pretty low battery levels previously, even after I changed the batteries). We shall see if it sticks…

Another update on the Samsung connect hub: I just got a Xiaomi motion sensor. It has the same issue that I experienced with the leak sensors - it pairs (reluctantly) - but falls off the network within an hour or so.

What are chances that Samsung will update the Connect firmware to the same level as the V2 Hub?

i’m finding that the xaomi motion sensors do not stay on at all. they worked great on my v2 hub for about 3 months – now i cannot get them re paired at all…

they were great sensors too. i’ve spend about 5 hours trying to repair them and had to get out my old original smartthings sensors - which are not stable either

:frowning:

exact same issue as you. are you on v2?

Everyone one of my xiaomi devices dropped off today that’s around 20 plus contact devices and 4 buttons some reconnected with a button press others have dropped off again

1 Like

yeah something has happened with the firmware i’d say.

Well smartthings hub firmware hasn’t changed in a while. I’m in the beta team and had the current version 24.5 since the 6th September

something must have - as it’s extremely odd we are all suffering issues with the same thing suddenly.

edit: the firmware was updated august 23 for me which is around when i had issues actually. (i’m on beta also). maybe i need to get off beta!

That was the first release the current release is 0.24.5 released last Thursday

I submitted a bug to centercode I recommend you do the same other wise they won’t fix it and everyone will lose xiaomi devices

I’m on the 24.5 beta as well and all my “original” Xiaomi Temperature & Humidity sensors are working normally.