[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

So it does unscrew as the slot for the coin seems to indicate. That’s helpful, no to hack it as you did. The other one is still a mystery to me but it also refuses to pair so doesn’t really matter if the battery dies :slight_smile:

Uh, how do I use this device handler? I got my aqara temp/humid sensor to link but the tile is ugly and I need a way to enter an offset because the temp (and humidity) are way off.

Not sure how to help here. Please explain “ugly”.

To access the settings for your sensor, click on the gear icon while viewing it in your SmartThings mobile app, here:

Settings%20Gear

Then you can change the offset for temperature and/or humidity for that device.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply. By “ugly” I mean not the same as the screenshots I see here that include temp, humidity, and battery life. Here is what I see:

https://imgur.com/a/h1PGz9M
Clicking on the gear icon gives me no way to edit anything:

(edit: won’t let me attach more than one image, so please see here):

https://imgur.com/a/8zSnMIK

Again, I have not installed any device handler / custom anything. I managed to get the samsung ST app to recognize one of my two temp/humidity sensors, but if I understand correctly, there is a way to create a custom device handler.

So that’s my question – how to install this downloadable custom device handler (and/or should I)? I did so for my Dome water sensors and water shutoff valve, but I followed some specific instructions to do so that I can’t find again or convert to work for these temp/humidity sensors because I am dumb.

Also, I have two of these “new” square aqara temp/humidity sensors and I have no idea how I managed to get one to link but the other won’t. I got the triple LED flash initially, and the double flash happens every time I press the button on the device (as described in the guide), but it just shows up as “tile missing” or not at all. I’ve added and deleted the 2nd device repeatedly, but no luck in getting it to actually sense/report anything.

Also, the first sensor, which seems to be paired OK, updates quite irregularly. It was updating every 10 minutes or so until about 6am today (~15 hours ago) and hasn’t updated since:

https://imgur.com/a/bhHeQm5

My final question, for anyone: is there a temp and humidity sensor that “just works” with ST hub v2? Regardless of cost. I’m sick of the hoop-jumping required to get these things to work (also they are woefully inaccurate.)

Thanks for any help.

Hi vwwxwwoh.

Did this work for you?
I’ve placed a humidity offset but it doesn’t work… placing 10, -10, 20 or anything else is just the same…

Best Regards
Toranja

Without installing a custom device handler (also known as “DTH” or “DH”), messages from Xiaomi devices may or may not be interpreted correctly, which means you’re missing out on either partial or complete functionality, and correct display for the device in the SmartThings Classic mobile app.

There’s a very thorough FAQ on installing custom Device Handler or Smart App code here:

In a nutshell, you need to

1. copy the text of the code for the Aqara Temp/Humidity Sensor DTH from here
  2. Create a new Device Handler in the IDE for your ST hub and choose the “From code” option
  3. Paste in that code you copied in step 1
  4. Click Create, and then Publish

After that, when pairing your sensor, your SmartThings hub will use “fingerprint” information contained in the DTH to match up and assign the custom DTH to your Aqara Temp/Humidity sensor. If for some reason that doesn’t happen, the custom DTH can also be manually assigned (discussed repeatedly in this forum thread.)

This is completely normal behavior for the Xiaomi sensors. To conserve battery, they only report temperature / humidity when either has changed beyond a minimum threshold, rather than reporting every X minutes.

There are loads of great smart devices which require the “hoop-jumping” of installing custom DTHs or Smart Apps to work properly or work well with SmartThings, so it’s a shame to miss out on all of that. But I can understand wanting the achieve the promise of simplicity that Samsung’s and other device manufacturer’s marketing portrays.

I’d suggest a search of the forums here for an “accurate” temperature / humidity sensor. Or start a new thread asking about it. In a quick search I only found this:

…and unfortunately the Fibaro FGK-101 “Door/Window & Temperature Sensor” w/ optional DS18B20 that the last poster recommends does require a custom DTH…

1 Like

There was an error in the DTH code, which I’ve just fixed, thanks to a user issue report on GitHub.

Both the Aqara and “original” Xiaomi Temperature / Humidity Sensor DTHs have been updated to v1.2 with the correctly working humidity offset.

So you’ll need to update your copy of the DTH code in your IDE for it to work.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

1 Like

Hi veeceeoh.

Thanks a lot for the extra fast feedback.
I downloaded and updated the DHL now and on the next readout I should already have some data :slight_smile: thanks a lot.

By the way, if you’re using ºC instead of F does the collours have the expected behaviour?
I’m using ºC and if the temperature is for example at 23ºC then the icon is fully red… strange…

Btw I was just looking for the code:

map.value = humidOffset ? (int) map.value + (int) humidOffset : (int) map.value

I don’t quit understand this…
what does the ? stands for?

I was trying to understand in order to also help developing the DHL :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Toranja

I have only 10 devices, so it should not be a device limit issue. I was also using the buttons without issue for a few months before it crapped out, so I’m doubtful it’s a weak connection issue, but I am open to trying the channels for in case of interference.

Other than these, however, is there anything else I can do? Am I missing something? The fact that both my buttons crapped out a few months after using it is really weird to me.

Thanks.

Do you have any zigbee routers in your home? I have some Osram Lightify LED strips that serve as Zigbee routers, and I had to unplug them to get my Xiaomi Aqara motion sensors to pair directly with the hub and stay paired for more than a few hours.

Hello all.

I’ve just bought two aqara window door sensor, but when I try to pair them with ST they appear as “Thing”…
Anyone had the same issue?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Toranja

Hello all.

Just for the recording they are already working…
If anyone runs into the same problema follow this instruction:

1. Place the correct device handler,
  2. Pair them (they will appear as thing);
  3. Go the “My Devices” under the webpage from your ST account;
  4. Select the thing you wanna change;
  5. Go to “Edit” button;
  6. Under type choose the correct device handler;

Hope it helps :slight_smile:
Best Regards
Toranja

1 Like

my xiaomi motion sensors were stable for about two months now two of them are offline. I can’t even reconnect from scratch!

very frustrating.

One of my water sensors dropped off recently after being solid for several months. Haven’t managed to get it reconnected yet, though I’ve only spent about 5 minutes on it so far…

yeah i got one back online - the other one (two were having issues) i got connected i think but then it just goes dead again.

will try new battery. but they are only 2 months old.

I had over 30 sensors some via an xbee for almost a year. This weekend I had 8 drop.

didn’t smarthtings release a firmware upgrade on monday? Wonder if the hub reboot might of made them drop. I know since then i’ve been having intermittent issues with aqara door sensors that have been rock solid for months.

Another user has mentioned this as well, and I still need to do some tests with a revised set of temperature/color values to make sure the colors are appropriate both in ºF and ºC in all conditions (hot-medium-cold). My main home automation hub is now a Hubitat, and it’s summertime, so I’ve been slow in doing this… :frowning:

This is called a ternary operator. It’s a way to implement ifelse in a short way, like this:

if condition = true
 value = A
 else if condition = false
 value = B

can be implemented as a ternary with
value = condition ? A : B

So the code in the DTH:

map.value = humidOffset ? (int) map.value + (int) humidOffset : (int) map.value

says if humidOffset is true (i.e., it has a value), then map.value = map.value + humidOffset, otherwise map.value remains unchanged.

I hope that helps!

Is the change to support multiple end points included in SmartThings recent firmware update?

Is there any solution in supporting multiple end points device, like the Aqara wireless switch with two buttons, from SmartThings recent firmware update?