[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

Well, my Aqara Motion Sensor Worked without problems for some days before get unavailable for the first time. I paired the device again close to the hub, it start working again so i put it back to the original place. After a couple hours it became unavailable for the second time. So i put the sensor close to the hub and it starts to respond again without a repair. Left the device in that place for 2 days, i think, and then it become unavailable for the third time. One thing i can notice is that before it becomes unavailable for the first time, the xiaomi outlet was on all the time in a place between the sensor and the hub, then it was turned off and the sensor starts to fail. May be just a coincidence?

Probably not a coincidence.

The Xiaomi outlet can act as a Zigbee repeater, meaning it allows end devices (like your Motion Sensor) connect to it, and it passes all messages from the end device to the hub and vice-versa.

The problem is that Xiaomi outlets may not work well as a repeater to a SmartThings hub. There are so few people with them that there’s not enough information to be sure.

Unfortunately, after pairing a Zigbee end device, there’s no way to tell in SmartThings if it’s connected to a Zigbee repeating device without using 3rd party hardware (such as an XBee module) to map out a Zigbee mesh network.

More problem with Xiaomi Original Door/ Window Sensor…

5 days ago I posted here for xiaomi dropping connection and someone kindly notified that could be a wifi interfering (thank you again).

I repaired my two door sensors and 1 motion sensor since 5 days ago. I have changed my wifi router channel to 1 (and zigbee channel I found is 9, so no over lapping )

After couple of days, one door sensor dropped. The door sensor is about 30 ft from the hub and is hiding behind the blinds.

The other door sensor and motion sensor, both are much closer to the hub and have no object blocking signals, are still operating.

So at this time I have to make the conclusion that either zigbee devices have limited range, or more prone to signal blocking, or get interfered by wifi in neighboring house hold.

Anyone had similar situation before?

All of these things can be true, because Zigbee is a low-powered radio networking standard, and operates across the same bandwidth range as 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Besides changing your WiFi and/or Zigbee channel, the best way to avoid distance / interference issues is to use mains-powered Zigbee devices that can function as Zigbee repeaters.

If using Xiaomi devices, the only Zigbee repeater that I know of people having success with (including me) is an XBee module. I would recommend searching the forums here for “XBee” and also especially having a read through this thread:

Thank you Keith.

Its fortunate to have a great community member like you

Best

Lewis

I have Xiaomi Aqara curtain motor working with Smartthings hub using Xiaomi Zigbee Outlet device handler. You need to change type of the device to this after pairing.

I actually got it working. Had to re-add the device using the old app.

Yes, I used old app, too.

Hi, I adapted a DTH for Xiaomi Aqara Switch QBKG12LM and works great as two buttons with Smartthings.

Need to install a DTH Aqara-Switch-QBKG12LM-Button2 (Child DTH) to visualize and control the second output in SmartThings. (different endpoint)

2 Likes

Just starting off with a couple of the Aqara Motion Sensors. Once I installed the correct device handler, pairing was fairly painless process, though not one I ever felt in control of (that seems par for the course). The lux values appeared quickly and eventually the battery values put in an appearance. So thanks to everyone involved with developing the device handler.

I do have a query about the lux values. During the day I can see them varying and eventually overnight both dropped down to 0 lux on both, showing reports as low as 7 before that. However come the morning both sensors seemed rather keen on sticking with the 0. One stayed with 0 until 8:33am and then the next report at 8:56am was 37 lux. The other leapt from 0 to 77 lux at the same times.

Now one night is a small sample size I know, but I’d be interested to know from more long term users if that is going to be a typical happening. I was initially wondering if there was a night/day mechanism overlaying the lux reporting but then I saw values as low a 7 so it seemed unlikely. Anything else that could be happening?

That’s great. Will try the two DH now.

IS there a similar DTH for the Xiaomi Aqara two button switch (WXKG02LM)?

Excellent work! Do you mind if we add it to the bspranger GitHub Xiaomi device handler collection repository?

Unfortunately, that this method of polling the different endpoints may only work for the mains powered Xiaomi Aqara switches.

The reason why it works with the QBKG12LM model is that the switch will respond to zigbee.readAttribute commands - which is like asking the switch “Is button 1 on or off, and also is button 2 on or off?”

However, in my testing and reports from others, all of the battery powered Xiaomi devices do not respond to zigbee.readAttribute commands. They only just send read attribute messages, which is like the switch saying “Button XXX was just pushed.” and SmartThings always replaces XXX with “1”.

I have moved all of my Xiaomi devices to a Hubitat hub, but I’ll try pairing one of my WXKG02LM two-button switches and check again if the method works or not.

A device handler is now available for the Zigbee-based Xiaomi Aqara Curtain Motor:

Hi

i changed all my bulbs to tradfry, lights. And you switch it with xiaomi wireless light switches. (1 button)

And it is really interests me how to overcome this problems:

The wireless switches many times go as i call “sleeping” when i don’t touch them for longer period.
When i would like to turn on the lights, have to push it 3-4 times over 10 seconds when it starts reacting for me, After this play, it works normally and react to every push, in around 1-2 sec lagg (what is totally acceptable)
but this many pushing after every hours is really annoys me basically makes it unusable
anyone has this?

No problem Veeceeoh! Do you can add to the bspranger GitHub Xiaomi device handler collection repository.

LUX value is reported only when movement is detected.

Yes, I was quoting the reported Lux values. I was querying how others have found the performance of the illumination sensors which for me seem happy enough to report values that gradually diminish to zero with the light, but once they hit zero don’t seem at all keen to report values increasing with the light until there has been a very significant change. In my case they are still reporting 0 lx three and a half hours after sunrise but within the next half an hour are reporting something a little more sensible.

I can not get these stupid Aqara motion sensors to stay connected. What is the secret? They will work for maybe a week and then one will randomly go inactive and need to be re-paired.

1 Like