Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

While this post is related to Hubitat the information related to Xiaomi devices applies on Smartthings.

Slightly lost here
have a new aqara Vibration sensor …I have loaded the device handler here and published it
Xiaomi Aqara Vibration Sensor

• Model DJT11LM (thats what I have)
  • Version 0.9b

added a new device I think correctly …should I even be doing this or trying to pair with the instructions at top of this page without adding the device manually?

now in the smarthings app it shows up as stationary how exactly do I PAIR with the actual sensor? tried a long press on the device it flashes blue but then no motion appears to show in the smarthings page of “right now” only thing that shows up under "recently " tab is battery runtime oct 24 2018

any help much appreciated…new to all this !

Bill P

Hey @ArstenA, Brian
Mine are all solid on 000.024.00011 - is that what you have?

That said I did have one new Aqara temp/humidity that dropped because it had connected to a SmartThings Plug instead of to the hub or to one of three XBEEs. Once I got it on an XBEE it did fine.

Alec

I am on the same version.

The only other zigbee devices I have is a xbee router which I know works.

So they dropped from the hub.

I was never able to figure out how zigbee devices were being routed with Smartthings. How are you able to determine this?

Using an Xbee device and XCTU software as detailed in @adam_walker 's excellent Zigbee - from flakey to stable

The Xbees also work as repeaters for both Xiaomi and non-Xiaomi devices.

Thanks for confirming that Alec.

I ordered one of those more than a month ago and it was backordered. Supposed to be in my mailbox tomorrow. I have that thread bookmarked.

I was hoping you were going to tell me of something I’d not stumbled on in STs. In Hubitat there is Zigbee logging that shows additional numbers you can sort of piece the routing together. It also helps to at a quick glance figure out when the mesh has gone bad.

Another question for you @AlecM, have you been able to determine how far away that Xbee device acts as a good repeater?

Your screenshot shows a correctly paired device, however…

When you did that long press, you put the sensor into pairing mode again, which means that the SmartThings hub wouldn’t see it anymore.

In a nutshell, the process goes like this:

1. Create a new device handler (under My Device Handlers in your IDE) using the custom DTH code for your Xiaomi device.
  2. Add a Thing in the SmartThings Classic mobile app (the “+” button at the top of the My Home tab of the app)
  3. Put your Xiaomi device into pairing mode by long-pressing it’s reset/pairing button.
  4. Once paired, it will appear in the ST mobile app, ready to rename to whatever you’d like. If the device handler wasn’t matched to the device, it will show up as a “Thing”, and you’d need to manually assign the device handler in your IDE.
  5. Start using your device.

After a Xiaomi device is paired, you don’t need to long-press the reset/pairing button again, unless it gets dropped from your SmartThing Hub’s network.

Until you use some SmartApp to set up some kind of automation based on using the vibration sensor as a trigger, you will only see visual feedback when viewing the UI (user interface) for the device, by pressing on the device’s name in the list of the My Home tab of the SmartThings Classic mobile app.

Remember that the status of “Stationary”, “Vibration”, “Tilt”, etc. is just visual feedback, and each kind of action corresponds to a linked capability which is what SmartThings uses for automations in SmartApps. Here’s a chart showing the corresponding SmartThings events:

UI displays SmartThings event Time until status is reset ST event on reset
VIBRATION motion = active User-set (default = 65 sec) motion = inactive
TILT acceleration = active 2 seconds acceleration = inactive
DROP button 1 = pushed 2 seconds n/a
STATIONARY (see note below) n/a n/a
Open contact = open n/a n/a
Closed contact = closed n/a n/a

NOTE: The main UI tile will display “STATIONARY” after all status reset timers have finished. So for example, if the sensor detects vibration and then tilt, the UI will display “VIBRATION”, then “TILT” for about 2 seconds, then go back to displaying “VIBRATION” until the 65 second reset timer is finished, and finally will display “STATIONARY.”

It’s also important to note that the main UI tile display is independent of the open/closed/unknown UI tile, because it is totally possible for the sensor to be put into the user-set open or close position while other events (vibration and/or tilt) are happening.

Thanks for ur answer,

I’m not much into solder, but i might try it.
It happens with all motion sensors? I just purchased the newSamsung motion sensors v3 and I wonder if i will have same behaviour with them or it’s just the Xiaomi.

Thanks for ur time.

veeceeoh thanks for the detailed reply…very helpful !
unfortunately the screenshot wasn’t of a paired device , I had mistakenly ADDED the device manually in the IDE (my devices + newdevice)…so it never did get really actually paired

Ive removed that now, but adding a “thing”" which I have done many times doesnt t seem to work with the aqara device even after the long press …it just sits there in the classic app saying its taking longer than expected to find a device…ive tried this with THREE of them…all the same (I bought 4 ! )
Is there a way to force it to discover the aqara?

again, thanks !

Bill P

Hello @Mark_Poole

I have a small house, 1,400 sq feet - and quite a few repeaters - so no dramatic distances to give. That said, it was built in the 1939 - and the lathe and plaster walls interfere a lot with reception (I’ve needed three access points to get decent wifi throughout house). The Xbees have no trouble going through multiple walls. Hope that’s useful. I bet you’ll find it fits your needs.

Alec

The only log solution I ever found was looking for ''zbjoins" in the log. Incredibly tedious and in the end ineffective. You’ll love looking at it with XCTU.

[BETA UPDATE] Xiaomi Aqara Vibration Sensor (Model DJR11LM) SmartThings DTH v0.91b

It turns out I forgot to include an important line of code to correctly initialize the sensitivity level to low when the sensor is paired which results in that UI tile displaying “–” and not changing the level when pressed. This is now fixed, and all users are highly recommended to update to this new DTH code.

The new DTH code can be grabbed from here.

Changes/Fixes

• UI Refresh code now correctly initializes and displays the sensitivity level at low when the sensor is paired, or if not initialized at pairing, when the user saves preferences or presses the refresh UI tile button
  • Added initialization of a “blank” battery UI tile at pairing (or when preferences are saved / refresh UI tile button is pressed). Like with all Xiaomi devices, the battery tile will only display a percentage after the first battery voltage report is sent by the sensor, usually 1 or 2 hours after pairing.

No, there is not. In my experience with these vibration sensors, a lot of patience is required.

Here’s what you should try doing:

1. Update the DTH code with my new version (see above link)
  2. Do not manually add the sensor in IDE - make sure to use the “Add a Thing” method in the SmartThings Classic mobile app.
  3. Once the mobile app is in “Add a Thing” mode, press and hold the reset/pairing button on the vibration sensor. The LED will stay on, and then when it blinks a couple times, release the reset/button.
  4. Watch for the LED to blink again. One long flash means pairing was unsuccessful, and a series of short flashes means successful pairing.
  5. Either way - successful or not - you need to short press the reset/pairing button, wait for the LED to flash after that (open long or multiple short flashes), and then short press again, etc.
  6. After you’ve seen the multiple short flashes in response and continued to short-press the reset/pairing button, it could take up to a minute or even more for the sensor to finally appear in the SmartThings mobile app ready to rename.

If this doesn’t make sense, I can take a video of the process tonight and then upload it to YouTube. What I’ve described above is actually the same for most Xiaomi Zigbee-based devices - just that these vibration sensors seem to take a little longer to complete the pairing process.

1 Like

Thank you…wow its VERY fussy…I have one of 4 successfully paired ! patience it seems is the key !

Bill P

1 Like

Glad to hear it! Please let me know how the DTH works out for you - any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I just had 10 or so drop today - I was running an XCTU scan and noticed the hub only had 20 devices connected (which is never the case - it usually hovers in the high 20s- and there you go… most (so far) have repaired with just a click or two - either to hub or to an XBEE (I’m up to 4 as of today). One was a total reset and redo - it’s been so long since I’ve had to do it. One paired to a SmartThings plug - I’ll let it go-offline and then repair close to an XBEE. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi,

I am new to the community and hoping this is the place to post. Before I get started with the issue tought I’d list the tech.

Smarthub V3 (US edition)
2 x Xiaomi Aqara Temperature Humidity Sensor
Androind Smartthings App latest version

Right so on to the issue. I added the correct device handler and after a night of mucking around got the 2 sensors finally installed by forcing the hub to look for a diffferent sensor - no probs there and the data being reported back to the hub is correct.

However, when it comes to clicking on the device in the app all I get is “Cannot connect to device. Check device and try again.”

I know from watching logs that the sensors are working like a charm in terms of reporting and according the IDE are connected to the hub, hwoever the one difference I have seen is that “Execution Location” is set to cloud. Dont know if that matters.

Being no stranger to code I pulled up a sample of the Phillips hue bulbs and compared it to the installed device handler for Xiaomi and for the most part there are only small differences.

So anyone know what I am missing in terms of having the app read the devices data ?

Thanks in advance.
Jared

[BETA UPDATE] Xiaomi Aqara Vibration Sensor (Model DJR11LM) SmartThings DTH v0.92b

After some testing, I have found that initializing the battery percentage UI to display “–” causes a newly paired sensor to not appear in the SmartThings classic mobile app’s device list. So I have removed that feature. It’s unfortunate, because many users have posted about their confusion over no battery percentage being displayed when a Xiaomi device is first paired. This is because the first battery voltage report is sent 1-2 hours after the device is paired.

The new DTH code can be grabbed from here .

Changes

• Removed initialization of battery UI tile

Welcome to the SmartThings community!

First off - are you using the “SmartThings Classic” app or the new app (just called “SmartThings”)?

The new SmartThings app does not yet officially support custom DTHs (device handlers) like all the ones for Xiaomi devices. So if you are using the new SmartThings app, in terms of operability, YMMV. From what I’ve read, it should be possible to install and use the “Classic” app alongside the new one, in the interim. I would search on the forums for more information, however.

If you are using the “Classic” app and getting that error, then I honestly don’t have any idea why that would be happening.

Only SmartThings officially supported devices can have device handlers with local execution, so what you’re seeing is totally normal. This may or may not change in future as SmartThings continues their transition to a new developer platform.

First off - are you using the “SmartThings Classic” app or the new app (just called “SmartThings”)?

Right that was what I was thinking - Currently using the "SmartThings (not classic) so I guess that explains that problem - on the plus side it does show up in the app - maybe I will fork the DTH and see if I can’t build it in based on other examples in the IDE.

Will also look into running the apps side by side as Im finding the newer appy really buggy in terms of setting automations based on sunrise and sunset.

Thanks