Orbit Sprinkler Timer (Iris)

I deleted it, and pulled the batteries

This thread is 2 years old. Very sad that something so simple doesnā€™t work.

@LadySapphy Were you able to confirm that the software you loaded was causing the devices to add automatically? Because Iā€™ve had it connected for over a week, with no added devicesā€¦ but I havenā€™t loaded any software. Just curious if the root issue was possibly resolved by ST?

I was wrong in my initial findings. It was the device. It would change zigbee id on its own. I heard a firmware update fixes the issue, but the only way I found to update the firmware was via iris. I have never done that.

I wonder if new ones for sale would come with the proper firmware?

1 Like

I think they actually mightā€¦ because iā€™ve seen no issue regarding devices being added, my only issue is how unreliable it is. Works only a handful of times, and doesnā€™t status properly either. Since Megan confirmed it was the device and not the code, I think iā€™ll have to give Nickā€™s code a try and see what happens. Thanks @LadySapphy

Hello Tyler,

Just curious if you could tell me a little more regarding the Orbit Sprinkler Timer? I purchased one a few weeks ago, and it seems to somewhat work, just very unreliably. Apparently in the forums people were having issues with it automatically adding new devices to their hubs, but I havenā€™t seen any issue with thatā€¦ so many thatā€™s resolved? Is ST still working on an ā€œofficialā€ integration, or is what exists now all there is? Please advise.

The device is flawed in itself. Unrelated to issues connecting to smartthings. What happens is when it the close valve function is triggered on the device either manually or via Z-wave, the valve will occasionally not actually close. You can hear it try to engage but fail to close the valve.

So if you are away you may think the valve closed because status indicates so on the device itself, but the physical valve remains open leading to flooding until you re-open and re-close the valve. Basically this device is not reliable enough to actually use unattended. Defect.

Mine was thrown in the shed junk pile with hopes I can reuse parts for a future project that wonā€™t involve the risk of flooding my yard.

Is this really the only devise of its kind? Iā€™m looking for a hose end timer, Iā€™d love to have some smart in it. Seems like the one from Lowes is the only option but itā€™s garbage, at least from what Iā€™m reading.

I have been looking for a while now too, not finding anything either.

Is there any update on this on if it is working better now? If no update I will go pick one up today and test it out again. I donā€™t want any of the timer functions. I just want to be able to turn it on and off.

I thought PlantLink was working on one, but I canā€™t find info on it now. Everything else is way over kill for what I need.

I donā€™t care about the timer either, just On/Off. I donā€™t care if it is Zigbee or Zwave,

1 Like

Pick one up let us know =)

2 Likes

Oddly enough I had 2 show up as ā€œYet to be configuredā€ over the weekend. I went out to make sure the batteries were still out of my device, there were. Not sure where they came from, but I deleted them.

How well does it work? Is it worth trying out or just stick with a 7 day programmable one?

again it screwed up my system last year and I spent hours deleting the clones it created. I am disturbed 2 showed up as ā€œtet to be configuredā€ when the device has no power at all. I am not going to use it again.

Could it be you have a defective device?

When it worked it worked or it was always finicky like others have said?

it was documented by several people that this device creates clones and is finicky.

Agree with LadySapphy above. Itā€™s a crappy product in that it does not work well with SmartThings. It may be great with the Lowes system (Iris), I donā€™t know. It may work briefly and look promising but the longer it seems to be on your system the more problems youā€™ll get. It could have been a ST issue too, in that it was incorrectly adding these cloned devices. Everyone seemed to have the issues at the same time, and then everyone unplugged them and then winter came. I would not plug it back into my system as it is now.

Iā€™m reworking the internals of mine to use the box and valve to create my own device, but thatā€™s a whole other thing. :slightly_smiling:

This whole thread was depressing to read. I just stumbled on these at Lowes today and was planning to buy two for this planting season. :unamused: Wish either there was an app for it, or that someone would create a product like this that worked perfectly with ST.