Orbi vs Google vs Eero

@BBoy486
The Orbi system allows you to adjust the strength of each of the two frequencies, which is something one can experiment with while getting accustomed to their system. I currently have about 35 devices on my Smartthings hub, 8 Arlo cameras on 3 base stations, a Chromecast device and 2 cameras that stream 24/7 and I am not experiencing any troubles with any of my devices.

Brian

1 Like

Yeah, but the point is now about will the wifi work, but will the zigbee work with the extra radio frequency in the air.

The problem here is that there are allot of potential things that can cause interference with the 2.4ghz band. The more mesh you have the more potential you have to have problems. Keyword is potential.

Some mesh network systems try to take the guess work out. Google wifi attempts to do that for you automatically by scanning the environment and then picking the best places to operate with as little interference as possible. I would suggest you check on if whatever mesh you get has that feature at least.

The good thing for orbi is that its backhaul for the Mesh component is not on the 2.4ghz band. Honestly no mesh network should use 2.4 for backhaul. It is to congested already without thinking about zigbee and doesn’thave the ability for enough channels to get good bandwith
 So then it is just a matter of do you have devices that.

2 Likes

Thanks however none of those are Zigbee devices. That is the interference I am curious about. I’ll experiment when I get the system next week.

I also use google wifi, I had eero gen 1 as well, but have been much happier after making the hop to google’s pucks. 2 out of my 4 have ethernet to them, I have a large “L” shaped home, these things keep me on strong wifi inside and out.

Of my Smart things pieces i havea Osram zibgee RGB Bulb and Button switch, 2 Sengled Zigbee bulbs, a ADT Water sensor, Smart things Motion sensor, Visonic Door Sensor, and a Iris door sensor, a homebuilt DIY zigbee repearter environment sensor, and a KOF Fan controller. All of those are zigbee and have had no issues. So as far as what i have Google Wifi hasn’t hurt it at all. The only repeator devices i have is the osram bulb and the DIY repeater.

Not sure if that helps but it is atleast something

1 Like

Cool. Thanks

I am interested in buying the Orbi RB50 but after having a disjointed conversation with there support I am confused. Many of my WiFi home automation devices try to connect to 5gz when the router is turned on, and I have had problems with some of these devices that actually connected but don’t work at 5gz. So with the Orbi having one SSID how do I prevent this problem?

If you do a quick Google search you will see there is a way to split the SSIDs via the web-console, it’s a little long-winded but it works

@joelw135,
The Orbi will try to connect to 5ghz first and then go to the 2.4 ghz. If your device can handle 5ghz then Orbi will use that. If not then the Orbi will connect it to 2.4ghz. All of my devices are correctly assigned to the proper frequency that they can handle.

Brian

1 Like

That is good to know, by biggest problem is my Samsung Radius Speakers, they will connect to 5gz but won’t work well. So how would I prevent this from happening?

@joelw135,
Unfortunately, in the Orbi system there is no way to individually select what frequency an individual device will use. You might want to study the specs of the other mesh routers out there before you make a purchase.

Brian

What I have found that it’s up to the device connecting to determine the best band for connecting when they share SSID on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands. I know in good wifi drivers and chipset combinations they will bounce between 2.4 and 5 Ghz based on interference, signal strength etc. Some of the cheap devices have poor drivers and chip sets and tend to only lock into the first seen AP and a default of only the strongest signal and never let it go. I had these issues with early Android phones that refused to do fast switching between Orbi nodes.

So maybe Orbi is not a good match for me. Any ideas on a good router that is both fast and has a large area coverage?

@joelw135
If you are judging the systems based solely on your speakers, maybe the other systems would be better for your current needs, (we haven’t determined yet how the Orbi or the other systems will work with your speakers). It is possible that the reason the speakers do not work well with the higher frequency is because it has a shorter range.
That being said, just like purchasing any other item one must weigh the pros and cons of each system. These systems are expensive, so you must also weigh your future needs. All the systems work well, but there are three things that make the Orbi system unique:

1. The Orbi system dedicates or reserves one 5ghz channel as a backhaul channel thus giving you a smoother experience and reduces the slowdown as you add more devices.

2. The Orbi system has 3 ethernet ports on the router and 4 ports on each satellite. This was very important for me. The other systems either have none or only 1 port on the satellites.

3. From what I have read, the Orbi has better software and apps.

Do your research and address your current and future needs. Hope my reply helps,

Brian

As it stands now I have found other devices are picky, so I do think Orbi is not what I need. I just need a Fast long range standard Router. I just am not sure what is the best. The reviews on the Internet truly can’t be trusted. On Amazon people writ reviews and if I run FakeSpot it finds that 90% of the reviews are bogus and that Amazon has removed thousands do to this problem. So I depend on the people here that can be trusted.

Have you looked at any of the TP Link routers
they have some good reviews. SmallNetBuilder’s site has some good reviews:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

I have the TP-Link Deco M5 mesh system which I’m very happy with. It doesn’t claim to be the fastest or have huge amounts of configuration but it works well. It’s a lot cheaper than most of their mesh systems.

Lots of options to choose from checking which has the best coverage. Also checking FIOS as my contract is up and I am looking at possibly getting faster Internet which means a new router. And depending on speed there are two different ones. And both have longer range for WiFi.

Not true. They can be split using the web interface advanced functions - instructions on how to do this can be found on the Orbi forums, you can then choose what connects to what. As mentioned above, it’s a little long-winded process, but it works well.

@Shinedown78
I will need to look at that again. I was having problems with a couple of my devices and from what I read on their forums one could not pick and chose. Everything is working great for me now, but glad you mentioned that it is possible if I have problems in the future.
Thanks,

Brian

1 Like