Open source community created dashboard solution Open-Dash.com - Alpha Version in Testing

I can assure you there’ll be no yaml or any such nonsense. :slight_smile:
All configuration is going to be via smart-app preferences.

2 Likes

or config will be web based and not even anything to do with smartapps, we will see, maybe even both… Who knows. We are in the dreaming / planning stages. Quickly moving to POCs and an MVP shortly.

Stay tuned and keep the ideas flowing…

Short answer: It’s coming sometime

Long answer: We’re working on something that I can’t really divulge at the moment (totally wish I could) but when we are ready to release it it is going to allow for some pretty amazing things!

2 Likes

Is it an API? :slight_smile:

For those that might be interested, but haven’t filled out this form, please do so it will help me keep track of all the volunteers https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScJCeqjKqUx_nAwMVIbVR-KrtmRnNXZiobI--TFh-Wkw788hg/viewform

1 Like

Id be interested in seeing what comes of this. Subscribed.

Cant offer anything by way of programming. Sorry.

1 Like

We will be having our first “Virtual” meeting on Thursday night 9pm EST in our slack channel. PM me your email and I will invite you to the slack channel.

Feel free to join the slack and participate however you can.

ugh. only three hours too late lol. but i love this. can’t log into slack without a password unless I’m being ignorant again.

1 Like

Email Patrick [patrick (@) patrickstuart (dot) com]. He’ll send you invite.

1 Like

I’m in the middle of blabbering to him right now through pm on here. thanks

1 Like

So, thanks to serving on Federal Jury Duty for a week, I’m a bit behind, but we are catching up and moving forward with some key decisions.

Feel free to PM me for an invite to our Slack channel. Right now we are finalizing decisions on initial core platform for deployment and starting the UI/UX design side.

So if you want to be heard, add your input, or just watch this project evolve, join us.

All I want for Christmas is an open dashboard solution!

2 Likes

Did this die before it got off the starting blocks?

Nope. Alive and kicking. We have our api, core infrastructure and working on ui workflow.

We are also voting on our official logo from over 30 submissions.

3 Likes

Is there an update on this? How soon do you think you would be able to get this out? ActionTiles has announced a beta testing and I’m afraid without any updates to Open-Dash, potential users may give in and pay the subscription fee to ActionTiles and never give Open-Dash a chance.

We are waiting on our official submission for the API SmartApp for our hosted solution to move forward. This was submitted over a month ago and at the mercy of the limited resources ST has to review our code.

However, we are also working on a few other workarounds based on node.js so you can run it local and have a basic dashboard solution based on open standards shortly as well.

This will not be the full featured hosted solution we want to make, but should allow end users to install the smartapp themselves and either get the token, or initiate the oauth process and connect the node.js Open-Dash version and create dashboards and interact with most devices.

Stay tuned.

In the mean time, I encourage you to support the only other dashboard solution out there, fee or not, those guys work hard on trying to make a product. We are lucky enough to have some great benefactors that want to see something released as open-source. Nothing in life is really free.

2 Likes

ActionTiles has been announced over a year ago (Fall of 2015, if I’m not mistaken) and it’s release date is still uncertain. Good things come to those who wait. :wink:

Is paying for decent software such a bad thing?

1 Like

let’s keep the discussion on Open-Dash, not about if you should pay for software or not.

3 Likes

Just a little tease of where we are right now.

4 Likes

So this week we ripped out our old UI and tile model and adopted a fully customizable HTML and JavaScript objects model. This will allow end users to create their own assignable templates per device per dashboard.

We are getting close to our first alpha release that will only run local. Targeting an rPi3 or similar.

Right now the core of this is node.js using express for server and most is client side using jQuery and the metroui CSS framework. Lots of cools stuff to come.

Stay tuned.

3 Likes