Ongoing Intermittent Delays

I’m having the same issue (only for some devices, ZigBee and ZWave ) for the last 3 weeks or so.
Commands to the Device (from ST App, Minimote, CoRe) sometimes works (ON or OFF) in 1 second response and sometimes it takes minutes to react to the command.
Commands from the Device (manual turn ON) shows immediately on the ST App.
I have tried to repair the ZigBee mesh (Hub power Off/On after 30 minutes) and several ZWave repairs, and everything else mentioned from other users. The issue is intermittent but it’s becoming more frequent at night on the last 2 days.

1 Like

Multiple people reporting this, all with the same starting time frame, early April. But some of them took a while to realize it was an ongoing problem, and some, like @bamarayne , apparently never reported it at all.

Support seems to be telling each individual customer that it’s local interference, but from a network engineering standpoint I don’t see how that fits.

Local interference could cause messages to be lost all together. Or it could cause things to feel like they’re running slowly, but only up to a minute or so.

It shouldn’t cause a situation where sometimes a motion sensor triggers a light in a couple of seconds and at other times it takes seven or eight minutes. Once we get into delays past a minute or two, it’s not the RF itself. Mesh networks just don’t work that way, because the messages don’t buffer up the way Wi-Fi messages do. (except for zwave locks and beaming, but that’s not what people are reporting.)

I could see if the problem was intermittent delays going from the hub to the cloud, then you might get buffering. And it could also affect devices of different protocols. But the troubleshooting steps would be different.

Anyway, I have no idea what’s going on, but I am concerned that support is telling people it’s local interference, because that just doesn’t seem to fit.

@tpmanley

5 Likes

I agree, this is not network interference. There are multiple issues occurring.

• command delays
  • zigbee devices dropping off network
  • zwave devices dropping off network
  • devices being completely removed from all smartapps, but still in the mesh.

And no, I haven’t reported this yet, but it will be reported today.

Problems started in earthly April.

3 Likes

I guess I should be happy I only have command delays (or never executing) lol

1 Like

I think I just confirmed that it’s a cloud issue. While leaving the house at the end of my lunch break, the motion lights in my kitchen never turned on before I left (Osram RGBW - cloud processing) but, the lights in my garage (farther away from the hub) immediately turned on (Osram soft white using the GE Link DH - local processing).

3 Likes

my issues frequently appear at night also

Please contact support if you’re experiencing this. Information that will help us investigate includes:

1. Is the delay sporadic or does it always happen?
  2. Does it affect all automations/devices or only certain ones?
  3. Does it happen at a certain time of the day? If so, when?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I sent in many emails documenting the specific times and devices every time it happened. Eventually, I stopped getting replies.

My ticket is filled with wonderful information and some exact times of when the issue has happened.

At this point it’s become pretty much every zigbee and z-wave device I have. Nothing works faithfully or even remotely well.

1. The delay happens almost everytime these days. Randomly it doesn’t or if I reboot the hub the delay is gone for a few minutes

2. I thought it was zigbee but now know it’s z-wave also.

3. At this point it’s pretty much bad 24/7. No time seems better than others.

Again on today’s lunch break, my kitchen motion lights took a couple of minutes to turn on but, during this time, my locally-executed garage motion lights worked immediately.

I sent this info to support.

1 Like

Ironically today I was on the phone with support who had some developers ready to look into it and everything worked as it should :frowning:

Waiting for it to get slow again and we will try again.

3 Likes

Some good news hopefully - was on with support and he had a developer watching as we tested things. The system was in it’s broken state so thankfully the developer was able to see the issue I am having.

He did a disconnect of the hub so that it reconnected to the cloud and poof all was working again.

Some logs were gathered etc and hopefully there is something useful in there but at least we have someone actively looking at it.

Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

I removed CoRE, painful but did it, and all of my other applications and re-installed. Everything has been working great for the last 24 hours. I even went as far as to create a piston that turned on and off every z-wave device every 60 seconds and let it run for an hour, no issue.

For me at-least it seems something may have went sideways with CoRE. Prior to the re-install executing a piston would almost immediately cause all of my z-wave devices to go unresponive. There was nothing generated in the logs BUT in my previous post I mentioned my hub up-time was 165 seconds - always, never changed. After doing this my hub up-time is progressing as expected. This might be a good key indicator to check whether or not my issue, still not sure exactly what it was, is the same as yours.

Got an update from support. The developers believe my Samsung TV is causing the issue and have a fix that will likely go in next week.

For now I have removed the TV to see if the problem goes away.

Anyone else have a Samsung TV integrated in Smartthings as a device?

Also a good way to test the issue is on the cloud side is when the slowness is happening to go into the IDE and click disconnect hub which cuts the cloud connection and makes it reconnect. Mine would work perfectly for a bit after I did that.

2 Likes

What TV do you have and what handler did you use?

I have a KS8500 … and no apparent impact on my system…

ks8000 and the handler that was published my Smarthings - from the app. (not the old messy one).

All seems rather interesting to me as I have had the TV as a device for a while so not 100% sure why now or what is causing it.

Testing and we shall see. My fingers are crossed!

1 Like

Yep, I added my Samsung TV a couple of months ago.

1 Like

Might want to try to remove it and do a disconnect/reboot the hub and see if the world seems brighter.

I am slightly skeptical but hopeful

I’ve removed it. I’m much more willing to remove a TV than I am to remove CoRE. That would be painful at this point.

1 Like

Afraid to jinx it but so far so good for me.

2 Likes