OMG WTH is wrong with this platform

SmartThings looks really good on paper, has a slick website and gets positive reviews in the gadget blogs. I guess marketing dollars pay off. How many prospective customers seek more in-depth info by reading these boards? Not many, I guess.

I wish their engineering was half as good as their marketing. :smile:

1 Like

A lot of what I read before hand did have problems, but I am a systems engineer so I figured a lot of it was users not knowing what they were doing. That is somewhat still the case, but the backend system is overloaded, and slow. So unless Samsung has a plan to invest a lot of money into the hosting/coding/platform this product will go by the wayside and be a failure with the 100k+ new users show up with their free ST USB dongle and free hub in a TV. In cases like this you can’t wait for the people to come before you invest. If the platform was a solid platform and having a few scaling issues then it is easy to throw money at it to scale and fix the issue. However this product feels like it is very limited on scalability on the backend. If you don’t believe me then tell me what causes a 24+hour outage of critical services in a truly scalable architecture.

You don’t have to be 5 or 6 9s of uptime, but the platform should offer 4 9s. I would say if you look at the last year it is 2 9s uptime. You don’t see that on the marketing slick. If they had no more outages this year the max they can achieve is 99.8% uptime. Which downright sucks when you are talking about changing the way in which people live their lives.