Official Sonos Amazon integration coming in 2017

Other reporting is indicating “first part of 2017”, so I would assume Q1, with Beta going on either now or Q4

1 Like

You need sign up to the Beta and sign the NDA

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/beta/screen

Oh! The Sonos beta program: already in that one! My mind was thinking Echo beta program… Thanks for straightening me out! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Interesting Bloomberg article on the partnership decisions behind the integration:

4 Likes

Good article. The way I read it, the beta referenced in the article is for Spotify, not Echo. As one of those “audio snobs” that are supposedly being targeted with the Sonos/Echo collaboration, I’m hoping for sooner than later. Sonos sales were down in the 2014 & 2015 holiday buying frenzy & they may see this as a way to bolster sales this year. Or next.

1 Like

This is really good news. I was looking at buying a Play 5 to integrate with a Echo Dot. That’s kinda price. You can grab some Play 1s for a much lower price.

1 Like

Would this also imply that Alexa doesn’t have any immediate intention of opening up text to speech similar to how Sonos offers it?

Thought I would throw up the link that contains the video - the video would not stream from here for me.
We need a Sonos support group, if you are invested in Sonos you have lived with the trepidation of Sonos keeping pace with HA or being left in the dust. Crossing my fingers.

I want to thank @MichaelS Struck for the work in the ASK ALEXA to further enhance (10 custom slots now !); and the ability to verbally control the speakers!

3 Likes

This is the API I have heard SmartThings has been waiting for since the original integration. And while Sonos IS partnering with Amazon to allow deeper integration with Alexa (as I read it, allowing Amazon music to play through the Sonos), better integration with SmartThings will help folks that don’t have Alexas but still want their Sonos speakers to be controllable through automation.

1 Like

This is interesting and I’ll be following closely since I just bought into Sonos 2 months ago. Makes a good argument for buying into Amazon as well.

1 Like

Glad they are finally doing this. I have a dot set up to do voice commands and it is running line out to a sonos amp. the sound quality is ok but it makes the sonos useless except for as a dumb amplifier

1 Like