Odd commands being generated

Can someone help me out here and make sure I am not going mad! I have a Qubino Smart Meter (ZMNHTD1) which is being detected and set up as a Aeon Home Energy Monitor. In the DH code it does actually say it handles the Qubino (and it has some specific settings for the model number etc.) so I think that’s fine. I have also tried a community DH which supports more values (voltages etc.) and now I have started my own DH but all have the same odd behavior…

It works fine for a while, maybe up to an hour or so, where it is reporting the power usage all OK but then it stops working and I start getting this logged:

Exception ‘java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method parse() on null object’ encountered parsing 'cmd: 2104, payload: ’

In that example the command is 2104 but if I power cycle it, it will work for a bit but then I will get a different one like:

Exception ‘java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method parse() on null object’ encountered parsing 'cmd: 4621, payload: ’

I understand the first two digits of the command are the code from here: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/doc/zwave-utils.html but I have had some, like “B0” which are not even listed as valid commands?! It’s as if my Qubino starts spewing out rubbish on to my network; could that be the case (i.e. a malfunctioning device) or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help you can give…

I will tag for you @johnconstantelo, he might can help with this issue.

1 Like

I am trying to use the same qubino meter too, sometimes I am getting a null value returned from the parse but I grabbed the section from the original device handler (Aeon Home Energy Monitor) to just test first if it was not null first. I assume that this will still give you an error though as you are trying to parse it first to see what it is.

def parse(String description) {
	def result = null
    def cmd = zwave.parse(description)
    log.debug(cmd)
    if (cmd) {
    	log.debug("Created event")
		result = createEvent(zwaveEvent(cmd))
        log.debug(result)
	}
	log.debug "Parse returned ${result?.descriptionText}"
	return result
}

What version of the z-wave meter command class are you using with it? The device handler for the Aeon Home Energy Monitor used version 2 but from the information I can find on the device it uses version 4. The documentation that smart things reference for z-wave commands only supports V1, V2 and V3. I did change the device handler to use version 3 and the results where a bit more reliable so maybe could give that a try?

Can I ask also did you mange to set the configuration parameter 42 to send updates at a set timed interval, cant seem to get it working.

OK, so just for fun I am now pre-parsing the “description” and ignoring it is the payload is null; so now there are no errors:

def parse(String description) { 
    def payload=null
    def start = description.indexOf("payload:")
    if (start>-1) payload=description.substring(start+9)
    if (payload=="") {
    	log.debug "Returning..."	
    	return
    }
    log.debug "Parsing..."
	def result = null
	def cmd = zwave.parse(description, [0x31: 1, 0x32: 1, 0x60: 3])
	if (cmd) {
		result = createEvent(zwaveEvent(cmd))
	}
	log.debug "Parse returned ${result?.descriptionText}"
	return result
}

But that doesn’t really solve the problem, because it is now silently ignoring the spurious commands and still not updating.

I am not sure which version of the command class I am using; how would I know (sorry, I have written a fair bit of code in my time, but I am not all that familiar with ST)?

Yes, I seem to have set the parameters because as I am getting frequent events (although they all fail with the above issue). I am using this:

def configure() {
	log.debug "configure()..."
	if (zwaveInfo.model.equals("0052")) {
		log.debug "Setting Qubino to 5% change or every 1 minute"
        delayBetween([
				encap(zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 40, size: 1, scaledConfigurationValue: 5)), // Device will report on 5% power change
				encap(zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 42, size: 2, scaledConfigurationValue: 60)), // report every 1 minute
		], 500)
        }
	else
		log.debug "Unknown model: $zwaveInfo.model"
}

And you just need to hit the configure button on the classic app to apply these.

I’m not too sure on your problem but I’ll give you a way of maybe testing it a bit further to see if you are getting a meter event. The command classes are just functions that the z-wave devices support, reference material on them can be found here. In smart things you basically parse the event coming in using the parse method and then use the create event method to create an event for the given command. The function zwaveEvent is normally an overloaded function which means depending upon the particular z-wave command passed to it a different implementation will be called.

In the original device handler you should have a refresh function that is called when you click the refresh button in the GUI. Add the lines for voltage, watts, kwh and amps below. Here I use version 3 of the meter command class and I am using the command zwave.meterV3.meterGet to poll these values.

def refresh() {
	log.debug "refresh()..."
	delayBetween([
    		// Change back to encap
			crcEncap(zwave.associationV2.associationRemove(groupingIdentifier: 1, nodeId:[])), // Refresh Node ID in Group 1
   			crcEncap(zwave.associationV2.associationSet(groupingIdentifier: 1, nodeId:zwaveHubNodeId)), //Assign Node ID of SmartThings to Group 1
			crcEncap(zwave.meterV3.meterGet(scale: 0)), //kwh
			crcEncap(zwave.meterV3.meterGet(scale: 2)), //Watts 
            crcEncap(zwave.meterV3.meterGet(scale: 4)), //Voltage 
            crcEncap(zwave.meterV3.meterGet(scale: 5))  //Amps
	])
}

I see you have the function encap which if you are using the default device handler should look something like this.

private encap(physicalgraph.zwave.Command cmd) {
	if (zwaveInfo.zw.contains("s")) {
		secEncap(cmd)
	} else if (zwaveInfo?.cc?.contains("56")){
        crcEncap(cmd)
	} else {
		cmd.format()
	}
}

private crcEncap(physicalgraph.zwave.Command cmd) {
	zwave.crc16EncapV1.crc16Encap().encapsulate(cmd).format()
}

I noticed that it always reverted to using the secEncap with this meter as zwaveInfo.zw returns Ls but the device commands show that this meter uses CRC16 Encapsulation so thats why I call crcEncap in the first snippet to format the command.

When the meter is polled it will return with a meterV3.MeterReport command to the parse method. You need to define a function to handle this command, the one I am using is shown below.

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.meterv3.MeterReport cmd) {
	def meterTypes = ["Unknown", "Electric", "Gas", "Water"]
    def electricNames = ["energy", "energy", "power", "count",  "voltage", "current", "powerFactor",  "unknown"]
    def electricUnits = ["kWh",    "kVAh",   "W",     "pulses", "V",       "A",       "Power Factor", ""]
    def map = [ name: electricNames[cmd.scale], unit: electricUnits[cmd.scale], displayed: state.display]

//NOTE ScaledPreviousMeterValue does not always contain a value
    // Either will be first value if true or other value 
    def previousValue = cmd.scaledPreviousMeterValue ?: 0

// Switch is like a case statment in bash 
    // Testing the scale for each of the sensors 
   	switch(cmd.scale) {
        case 0: //kWh
	    previousValue = device.currentValue("energy") ?: cmd.scaledPreviousMeterValue ?: 0
            map.value = cmd.scaledMeterValue
            break;
        case 1: //kVAh
            break;
        case 2: //Watts
            previousValue = device.currentValue("power") ?: cmd.scaledPreviousMeterValue ?: 0
            map.value = Math.round(cmd.scaledMeterValue)
            break;
        case 3: //pulses
            map.value = Math.round(cmd.scaledMeterValue)
            break;
        case 4: //Volts
            previousValue = device.currentValue("voltage") ?: cmd.scaledPreviousMeterValue ?: 0
            break;
        case 5: //Amps
            previousValue = device.currentValue("current") ?: cmd.scaledPreviousMeterValue ?: 0
            break;
        case 6: //Power Factor
        case 7: //Unknown
            break;
        default:
            break;
    }
    createEvent(map) // Will handle updating the values for the meter 
}

Now anytime you click the refresh button it should poll the meter for the current value of voltage, energy, power and current. Might be a bit of an easier way of debugging.

Regarding the configuration parameters I have got the timer working however it only updates every 10 minutes. According to the official user manual the meter can report on a minimum interval of 60 seconds. However according to the z-wave alliance the meter can only report at an minimum interval of 10 minutes.

Is your device reporting at a regular interval of 60 seconds or is your values of Watts changing quite frequently so it is inducing a report?

Hello,

I have included some of your code and the only odd thing that I don’t understand is that, as you say, the device is returning Ls for zwaveInfo.zw which I understood means it is secure (whatever that means?) and yet you are forcing it to use:
zwave.crc16EncapV1.crc16Encap().encapsulate(cmd).format()
rather than:
zwave.securityV1.securityMessageEncapsulation().encapsulate(cmd).format()
and I am not sure why I would do that, especially as the secure encapsulation is actually working on mine?

But that is an aside really, because my issue is about the random commands with null payloads still.

So, after I made the changes last night, all was well and from 19:25 and it started making regular reports. At least every minute, even when the difference in wattage was less than 5% (there are some reports that are as little as 0.2 W different from the previous one) and they are logging more or less the same number of seconds past each minute, so the 60 second reports do seem to work…

…until midnight! Maybe that is a coincidence but it seems odd. Other times this has happened it has happened at random times, so I won’t focus on the timing for now (I will turn the power off later and see what happens tonight). But as of midnight, we started receiving “zw device: 44, command: 4A21, payload:” (i.e. an invalid command and null payload). And that has repeated a couple of times a minute ever since!

As far as I am aware 0x4A isn’t even a valid command from one of these and I have had several other commands (i.e. 0x21 and 0x46) at random (although until I reboot it, it keeps resending the same one).

Hi @HeMan,

I have solved my problem on the timing somewhat if you want to have a read here .

I was just sharing what I had done and tried as some of it may solve your problem. The reason I suggested using CRC15 was that on the z-wave allaince website here it mentions that CRC16 Encapsulation command class is compatible, I wasn’t sure if the the securityV1 was. Looking at the user manual however now though page 48 both methods are supported and work fine.

I am going to develop the device handler a bit more first and then I dont mind sharing with you if it actually works and the issues I run into, it seems to be a bit of a learning curve getting used to it.

Glad you are making progress Warren, happy to share my stuff too…

But my current problem is my dodgy module. So at 18:51 I power cycled it and it started reporting every minute all OK again.21:19 it started reporting this:
zw device: 44, command: 6A21, payload:

Another random command with a null payload?!

Do I take it no one else is seeing this behaviour? If not, could this just be a dead module I need to return?

Checked the log messages for my meter there and beginning to run into a similar problem but a different command. This was after just 10 minutes of being operational so you got longer than me.

ce3b2848-133f-469b-acc3-acd34f1b4519 10:13:23: debug Parse returned null
ce3b2848-133f-469b-acc3-acd34f1b4519 10:13:23: debug null
ce3b2848-133f-469b-acc3-acd34f1b4519 10:13:23: warn Exception 'java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method parse() on null object' encountered parsing 'cmd: 2104, payload: '

The way the commands are broken is the first byte is the command class and the second byte is the command. So far you say you have had 2104 ,4A21, 4621. Using this file as a reference to find out what these are:

0x21 - COMMAND_CLASS_CONTROLLER_REPLICATION

COMMAND VALUE
CTRL_REPLICATION_TRANSFER_GROUP 0x31
CTRL_REPLICATION_TRANSFER_GROUP_NAME 0x32
CTRL_REPLICATION_TRANSFER_SCENE 0x33
CTRL_REPLICATION_TRANSFER_SCENE_NAME 0x34

0x4A - COMMAND_CLASS_TARIFF_CONFIG

COMMAND VALUE
TARIFF_TBL_SUPPLIER_SET 0x01
TARIFF_TBL_SET 0x02
TARIFF_TBL_REMOVE 0x03

0x46 - COMMAND_CLASS_CLIMATE_CONTROL_SCHEDULE (NOTE THIS IS DEPRECIATED ACCORDING TO FILE ABOVE)

COMMAND VALUE
SCHEDULE_SET 0x01
SCHEDULE_GET 0x02
SCHEDULE_REPORT 0x03
SCHEDULE_CHANGED_GET 0x04
SCHEDULE_CHANGED_REPORT 0x05
SCHEDULE_OVERRIDE_SET 0x06
SCHEDULE_OVERRIDE_GET 0x07
SCHEDULE_OVERRIDE_REPORT 0x08

So none of the commands associated with these classes that the meter is sending are valid commands. In the manual for the device I cannot see that the meter supports COMMAND_CLASS_CONTROLLER_REPLICATION, COMMAND_CLASS_TARIFF_CONFIG or COMMAND_CLASS_CLIMATE_CONTROL_SCHEDULE.

The device begins to work after I reset it but shortly after returns to giving the above log message for the 2104 command.

Well, and I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I am a little relieved yours is failing too! At least it isn’t something I am doing and this suggests we (probably) don’t both have faulty modules.

I have spoken to Quibino today and they are suggesting a firmware upgrade. I am just confirming the details with them, but if you like I can go first and let you know if it solves the issue…

If it does, you will need a USB z-wave dongle for the upgrade of the firmware, so if you haven’t got one to hand you might like to get one ordered (they are only a few pounds on eBay etc.).

Nope I’d rather everyone’s fail than an odd one here and there, you are fine. Yeah that would be great please let me know how you get on with it and if it fixes the issue as I need this device to work. A bit annoying now that might have to buy extra hardware to use this device, the point of the hub was that no external z-wave usb sticks where needed. How did you manage to get in contact with Qubino? I have submitted a ticket but no response so far.

I bought one of these: https://www.everspring.com/portfolio-item/sa413-z-wave-usb-stick/
It only cost £7.50 from eBay including postage and as ST doesn’t do firmware upgrades it is the only way of upgrading firmware in any z-wave device, so it might be worth getting one (although at a quick glance I can’t see any on eBay currently; maybe it’s been replaced with a newer model?).

I just contacted them through their web site and a chap called Igor got back to me this morning.

I am going to have to turn the power off again, so will do this later and let you know…

1 Like

Thanks let me know how it goes!

Well, the firmware updating seems to work but doesn’t actually change anything (not even the reported firmware version of 7.11)! The other odd thing is that even though I have done a few factory resets the kWh figure has never reset, which seems odd?! I will let you know what Igor says on all this shortly…

The other odd thing, which is more of a SmartThings question, is that I have noticed when it is working, the app updates the current Watt value even though the Parse function isn’t being run! Is that possible? I have added a log.debug to the first line of the Parse function and yet it isn’t being run when the 1-minute updates come in. Does that sound right to you?

Hi @HeMan,

Sorry I am only seeing this now, I got in contact with Igor an he sent me the firmware update and yep it was the exact same firmware that was already installed on the Qubino meter below is an image of my settings on the meter after the update

I have contacted Igor asking what the newest firmware version should be but I still have not heard back from him. Unfortunately when I try to install my own device handler on the meter I am still receiving the 2104 cannot parse command. All I change on it is adding the voltage capability and updating the meter report command class so I can get voltage and it begins to malfunction. I will get readings for awhile but then the same cmd 2104 error in parsing.

Any luck on your side since?

Seems like you have been down the same path as me then! I think that is the latest firmware, so nothing more to help us there…

But I have two further oddities, one of which I only heard from Igor on today. Basically, although I have factory reset my device a few times, the total kWh hasn’t ever zeroed. So it seems like my factory reset isn’t working. It may not be important, but I would like to start from the beginning again, so it would be nice to get to the bottom of it. Have you ever factory reset yours successfully?

The other odd thing is I took mine out of the fuse box and attached to a plug for ease of testing. I also connected it to my laptop via the USB thing and did the (unnecessary) firmware update. Around that time it changed behaviour in three ways:

1. nothing is now logging in the SmartThings IDE, even when a power update happens. The configure event still logs, but no parse events seem to be happening at all (and yet the power updates in the app)!

2. it has also stopped sending periodic updates. Not every 1 minute as configured or every 10 minutes as default, it simply isn’t sending anything other than when power usage changes. I recall you mentioned having issues with this at first, then you fixed it; so any idea what I am doing wrong. I first noticed this on the USB thing but since reconnecting it to ST I am not getting anything on there either.

3. I am no longer getting the random commands. Because it is no longer logging anything this is hard to tell, but power changes continue to work, so I think it is working ok.

Of course a factory reset would be nice right now… :wink:

I have followed the manuals advice on page 35 and held the S button down for between 6 and 20 seconds but unfortunately there is no conformation that there has been a successful reset but it does exclude itself from my network so I assume its successful.

In the manual it does sat that the custom parameters are reset on a factory reset, I assume this is refereing to the Z-Wave custom parameters so maybe it is not intended to wipe the persisted value of kWh??

To do this you can use the Z-Wave Meter command class and the command Meter Reset. Its a command for resetting accumulated values, if you want to read more can have a look at page 343 of this document. The default device handler has this already implemented in the handler, you just cant access through the new SmartThings app as buttons still don’t seem to work in it for some reason. The function should look something like the one below.

def reset() {
	log.debug "reset()..."
	// No V1 available
	delayBetween([
			encap(zwave.meterV2.meterReset()),
			encap(zwave.meterV2.meterGet(scale: 0)) //Scale 0 refers to kWh
	])
}

You can get at the button though the classic SmartThings app to reset the kWh using the reset button. Below is the same device just the one on the left is on the classic app and one on the right is in the new app.

Are you using the default SmartThings device handler for this? I have noticed that when using this nothing appears in the live logging window however when you go into the device and click on Events there is power updates occurring. The first image below is my live logging which shows another device logging updates. The second image is the Qubino Event Window which shows events occurring. I have no idea why they are not being logged to the logging window.

My problem with this was that I always had it setup the way you do now connected to a plug outlet however I connected it to a low powered device. The minimum current rating for the Qubino meter to start measuring is 0.25 A. I wasn’t pulling this current so nothing was working really, I connected it to a light bulb then and it began to record values, that’s how I got around my problem.

For this though are you using a custom or default device handler? Are you just getting Power and Energy or are you able to get Voltage, Current, Power Factor etc?

Another new error command being generated with this meter, this is using the default device handler I have not implemented a custom device handler. Saying that it is a CMD of DE21.

@HeMan,

I think I have found the source of the weird Z-Wave commands. I am going to copy a message I wrote to the developers of the default device handler below which I think sums up the fix but can I ask how exactly are you pairing the meter?

The message:

According to the user manual for the device they use the Security S2 command class. It also says that it supports Security S2 Unauthenticated, Security S0 and Unsecure inclusion. I have been experimenting though with how I am pairing the device with my hub and noticed something interesting.

The way I have been pairing the device is going into the application and selecting scan nearby from the SmartThings hub and then putting the device in pairing mode. The user manual pretty much says just put your hub and device in pairing mode and it should connect. This adds one device to my network the Qubino Energy Monitor Device. It is defaulting to use the Aeon Home Energy Meter but the Data entry is defaulting to networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_DOWNGRADE. It also includes Voltage in the Current States entry but there is no capability for Voltage defined in the Aeon Home Energy Meter so I’m unsure how it got there? Ive attached a screen shot of the device handler shown below.

Now instead of using the scan nearby method I tried adding the meter by using the Scan QR Code method. I scaned the QR code on the meter and it failed to implement this security which defaulted to networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED. An image of this device setup is shown below. (Suspect this was just my bad camera)

Finally I tried to add the device by selecting the device type. I selected it as an Aeon Home Energy Meter. When adding it prompted me to scan the QR code or enter the Z-Wave DSK of the device manually, I entered it manually and success it implemented networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_AUTHENTICATED as shown in the image below.

I still have to run the meter for an extended period of time to see if it truly sorted the problem but do you think this could be the case? Also would I have to change the encapsulation method in the device handler as I see you use securityV1 as shown in the snippet below.

private secEncap(physicalgraph.zwave.Command cmd) {
	zwave.securityV1.securityMessageEncapsulation().encapsulate(cmd).format()
}

If you have any ideas on the Voltage getting into the current states as well that confused me as I taught only defined capabilities would appear there.

The meter has been running now for 2 days fine and I have put my custom device handler on it which is logging values for Voltage, Power, Current, Power Factor and Energy.

Would appreciate it if you could let me know if you where using the scan nearby to add the device when you where getting the odd commands so we could mark this as a solution and save anyone else the pain of figuring it out :smile:

You know what; I think we both stumbled on the same solution from different ends! The reason I hadn’t replied a few days ago was that mine is now working and I was trying to work out how I fixed it :confused: so I could share what I did.

But now you say all that, I know what it was… when it was in the fuse box I couldn’t see the sides of the unit, so I used scan nearby. But once I took it out and connected it to a plug to make diagnosis easier, I could then scan the QR code. I even went down the road of wondering if it was some electrical interference from it being in the fuse box that caused the problem but in the end it was nothing to do with it being in the fuse box or not, it was just whether I could see the QR code (which they have inexplicably printed on the side and not the front :angry: )!!!

So mine is now saying ZWAVE_S2_AUTHENTICATED and is working fine so I can confirm your theory.

Would you mind sharing your DH as it seems you have got further than me (I wasted my time trying to diagnose the other problem!). I will let you know if there is anything useful from mine that we can merge in.

The only odd thing that remains is the lack of logging coming from the parse events all of a sudden. It worries me that there is now a warning that reads “Important Notice: Refer to the new SmartThings app for your full event history.” at the top of the IDE log! I do hope they aren’t deprecating the logging :scream: