[OBSOLETE] Z-Wave Tweaker

Everyone is looking at you @mwav3!

1 Like

Lol, open mouth insert project. I’ll see what I can do.

3 Likes

Someone on Github mentioned using the simulator in the IDE to activate the tile actions, and it worked. I was able to do all the tile actions and scan association groups using the simulator. Condidering you wouldn’t use this DTH permanently anyway, this is an ideal solution versus rewriting the DTH.

1 Like

Thank You for taking the time to look into this. I also had the New App vs the Classic App. After a lot of trial and error and working with the community, I was able to get the switches working. I stumbled across the tiles, as you said, by using the simulator in the IDE to activate the tile actions. However, I was not able to confirm the tiles worked correctly in the New App. From a switch standpoint I discovered I was only able to use the Eaton 9617 Accessory switches when I needed a 3 way switch. In all other connections, I had to use the Eaton 9601 Master Switch.

I found some limitations to the simulator workaround I posted above, where you couldn’t easily specify ranges for parameter and association group scanning that way.

So, I ended up doing an update on the tweaker that took all the old tile actions supported in the classic app, and added toggles for each one in the preferences screen to trigger them that way instead. I sent a PR to @zcapr17 but I don’t believe he is actively maintaining this code anymore. You can get the code that will now support all functions in the new smartthings app from my fork of the project at the link below:

When you are done using the tweaker and ready to go back to your default device handler, you should perform a cleanup by toggling the “Perform Clean Up” setting to remove unnecessary settings from sticking around in your device. I put the cleanup at the top of the preferences.

Al the commands triggered in testing - sometimes I did have to do it twice to get the logs to generate though. You should also make sure you change each one back to false before moving onto another one or any toggled “true” ones will run together. The cleanup will clear all these preferences back to “null” but you would have to leave the screen and come back to see the update.

Screenshots (these are all from the preferences settings):

7 Likes

Bless you, my son! LOL! :innocent:

But seriously, that is an outstanding contribution to the community. Nice work. :clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

@tpmanley

4 Likes

@mwav3 I could tell the Force was strong in you young Jedi.

4 Likes

Wow, well done, thanks a million :pray:

1 Like

Hey Tim,

Having some trouble pulling the modified device handler from your mwav3 GitHub repository SmartThings-1 directly using the IDE. When I update from repo, I don’t see anything in the New column. I can just copy the code, but I wanted to link it in case you’re actively working on it.

1 Like

I’m not really sure what the “protocol” is if any to takeover someone else’s code.

I’ve taken old code over and put code in my repo where the developer said it was OK for me to update, I made so many changes the code was significantly different (with notes saying “contains code” from the old developer and thanking them), or the developer’s github is dead and they are totally unreachable.

Codersaur has posted to his github within the past few weeks so is active, even if not supporting Smartthings anymore. I also just made minor updates. To put it in my repo I have to say I’m the author and I just dont know if I should do that.

For now it’s just in my fork of the project, but that can’t be imported as a repo as u pointed out above. Anyone want to chime in on the best practice here as far as me posting this in my repo?

1 Like

@glenmm, did you sort this out with @mwav3? I also had the same issue with the repo as it doesn’t see any of the devices including this one.

No, I basically just copy-pasted to update my DTH

The Z-Wave Tweaker always did have to be copy and pasted as the repo wasn’t in the format that the IDE looks for. Using ‘Commit changes’ to upload the DTH to a repo would upload it in the expected location (which is roughly speaking devicetypes/namespace/name-of-handler.src/name-of-handler.groovy but it really is best to let the IDE do it to get the case and hyphenating right).

@orangebucket I know you’ve been developing on here for awhile. Is there any issue you think with me putting this code in my repo for other’s to import? I still haven’t put it in my own repo, which as you pointed out above would be required for direct import in the IDE. However to do that I have to publish it as the author as if I wrote the code, and I don’t know if that’s ok since all I did was a simple update. I mean I would of course give credit to @zcapr17 in the code, and it is open source, but I still don’t know the protocol on that and hopefully you can provide some opinion.

In the meantime, I still have the DTH code in my fork of the project and plan to keep it there at the link above - also here’s the link to the “raw” file on Github which may make copy and pasting easier for direct import into the IDE
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mwav3/SmartThings-1/master/devices/zwave-tweaker/zwave-tweaker.groovy
Anyone is free to use and and make any changes you want- which goes for all the other DTH’s/code I have listed. I didn’t put it out to make any money and just wanted to give back to everyone on here for being so helpful.

Unfortunately though I’m not using Smartthings anymore and once the IDE is phased out I don’t think this code/import method will work (hopefully I’m wrong). I mean if it’s a “simple” update I’ll try to help out but if it requires a complete rewrite I won’t be able to keep up.

1 Like

I really can’t see any issues at all. The original code is covered by an Apache licence which pretty much means you can do what you like as long as any original code is still covered by the licence and you make it clear what has been changed.

There is no technical reason why you can’t retain the original ‘namespace’ and ‘author’ but also no reason why you shouldn’t use your own if you think that more appropriate on an ongoing basis. It is not just about credit, it is about avoiding confusion.

1 Like

Hello. I was told to ask here. SO I got 2 dimmers from EATON. One is a regular dimmer (model rf9640) and the other is an accessory dimmer (model rf9642) I am trying to make a 3-way work on these for the past 4 week. So finally I stumbled upon the tweaker. I got it on my IDE. I know how to reassign DTH between tweaker and secure dimmer. I was trying to change things in settings for the accessory dimmer and for a life of me I cannot make it work. I’ve been staying long nights trying to figure this out. Everyone out there is saying how easy it is but it is NOT. And no one really is giving me a walkthrough. What parameters do I change to make these work? I know that for dimming a need group 3. I know the network ID for my master dimmer is 11. What else do i need to put in the settings?

1 Like

@Taras_Levytskyy
Sorry I don’t know the answer to your question. But why not just get Leviton dimmers with 1 slave and 1 master? No parameter editing needed.

That discussion would be getting pretty far off topic for this particular thread, but it does run into the old “your use case is not my use case“ issue because the Leviton set up requires a physical traveler wire between the master and the auxiliary and the Eaton Cooper set up does not (which is why the connection is established through Z wave direct association, hence the need for the Tweaker).

Some people want to put their auxiliary in a position where it’s on a different circuit than the master or where it’s just not convenient to run a physical traveler wire.

People might also like the look of the Cooper, which is quite different from the traditional rocker such as the Leviton has.

Choice is good. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey all - asking here because I can’t find any resources about a solution to my specific two pieces of hardware.

I want to associate an accessory dimmer so that it controls a master dimmer. Both are on separate wires. Specifically, I am trying to associate Eaton’s Z-wave+ Universal Smart Dimmer (RF9640-N) with a corresponding Z-Wave+ Smart Accessory Dimmer (RF9642-Z).

I’ve got the tweaker set up (thank you so much for this - y’all are gods), but I’m at a loss on how to actually complete the association. I don’t have an android device so I believe I have to complete the association entirely in the IDE?

I have both devices in the hub. Below are screenshots of my current progress. I must be doing something wrong. Does anyone have any advice? I am stuck =(

Hi all,

I have read the thread and tried a few options however my lights are not behaving as expected. I have two lights (strip and sink) each controlled by a fibaro dimmer 2. One module controls the ‘strip’ and is connected to a physical on/off light switch and works fine (I’ve set the dimness by the app and does not need changing).

When i toggle the physical strip switch on/off I want the sink to also turn on/ff. My understanding was that this can be done by a simple association. I’ve used tweaker to set an association as per the screenshot. I have also included a screenshot of the device IDs.

Tweaker screenshot for Strip from smart things app

Screen shot of device IDs

Is there something simple i’m missing? Many thanks.