[OBSOLETE] Xiaomi Sensors and Button (beta)

I had a lot of my sensors dropping out at the beginning but now they all seem to have settled in besides one that is quite far away on a outside shed so I’m planning on getting a repeater.
On that note you said you’ve added a repeater and it’s not helped.
Did you you know zigbee devices won’t automatically connect to a stronger signal if a new one is added…
So that means you add your new repeater but the device won’t latch onto it , it will keep the connection it has unlike z wave
So you need to power of the hub and then when it comes on it will connect.

I have to press them twice - guessing that the first press “wakes it up”. Not sure why I have to do this as others don’t.

The new Aquara buttons are slightly different to the old ones it seems. Looking at the code it looks like the old buttons sent a 1 when pressed and the new ones seem to send a 0. I’ve not had the time to properly debug the messages that the button is sending but I’ve managed to hack the existing code so that button presses are working. I haven’t tried/got holds to work yet.

2 Likes

Hi @a4refillpad,

Can we add a new Item to the list of Xiaomi devices which need DH for ST?
https://xiaomi-mi.com/news-and-actions/xiaomi-enriches-its-smart-home-security-system-with-two-new-detectors/

Was thinking of going with Xiaomi motion, window and door sensors throughout my house which also has several Hue and zwave devices, but from the many issues posted I’m questioning whether it’s a false economy with the rosk of dropouts? Or are there certain models that are reliable and as long as younstick to those you’re fine?

I have only had one Motion and one Door/Window sensor but they have been absolutely solid and exact since I paired them. I also have one SmartThings Multi Sensor (Door/Window/Garage/Temp etc.) which has been a complete nuisance, going Offline all the time.

I have Sensative Strips on 11 external doors which have also been rock solid but they are not the cheapest, cannot really justify them for windows a the price. Anyway, pulled the trigger on 22 Door/Window Sensors to cover some windows. Even if I have to change the batteries every 6 months I think they are a still a great investment. (The PIR is also great but have a load of Fibaros so am leaving those for now but probably will get a load in the near future to create some ‘inexpensive’ Zones around the property)

The ones for sale on Aliexpress are the latest ones and think they are much more reliable than the first lot, from what I have interpreted anyway.

Order a few in and run them for a week or so at the furthest points to see how you get on, or get the lot in and if not happy am sure you can make some money selling them on :grinning:

1 Like

I have a couple dozen original Xiaomi window/door and motion sensors. Every single one paired first try (10-15 sec per) and not one has ever dropped offline (going on 6 months). All the batteries are still reporting between 80-95%, even the high-use doors (20+ open closes a day). Some window sensors are a floor away, opposite side of the house, and still respond instantaneously.

I know others have pairing and stability problems, but I can’t recommend these highly enough. They’re fantastic.

5 Likes

I paired Xiaomi Aquara door sensors and they are working fine. but the battery % shows 0%.
How were you able to get it report the battery %?
I used devicetypes/a4refillpad/xiaomi-door-window-sensor.src/xiaomi-door-window-sensor.groovy
Can you please share the handler or code that will show the correct battery %?

I just got an aqara door sensor yesterday and mine is doing the same. I will try to look into it soon.

Good stuff thanks for that, will definitely give it a go and will order from AliExpress to hopefully get the new models, any particular sellers to go for or generally no difference for these products?

I have powered down my hub and taken out the batteries for 5+ minutes and it didn’t help.

Do I need to reset the repeaters too?

No just rebooting the hub should work.
Maybe you have some interference somewhere

Next question, my hub is in my basement, not the best location but it is out of sight. I added a repeater on first floor, and also a repeater on 2nd floor.

Before the repeaters were added all my sensors worked for at least a week before they may have dropped off.

Now if I add them back they drop the next day. Keep in mind I did add the device health monitoring to my device handlers.

Can the sensors make multiple hops through repeaters to get to the hub?

Even new sensors that I have added this week and placed next to the hub seem to be dropping over night.

I prefer GearBest shipping to the US. About $2 for shipping and another $1 for insurance. Gets here in less than 2 weeks.

maybe the repeater isn’t compatible with the zigbee protocol of these devices :frowning:
z wave can apparently hop up to 4 times and matching zigbee up to 15.
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Repeaters
i have also heard device health puts extra strain on these so maybe its that causing the drop outs
maybe try moving the hub more central to the house?
what ive noticed with mine is if they drop off and i delete them and re add they seem to stay paired for longer if i do the initial pairing in a quieter place away from possible interference as i was having issues with one dropping off nearly every day but one day i thought ill try pairing it further away so i went outside and it paired and has stayed paired , it may just be a coincidence but may be worth trying

can someone show me the repeaters u guys r using pls. newbie to zigbee :stuck_out_tongue:

i’m only using 1 repeater and its the official SmartThings plug outlet.

I am using the iris 3210-L outlets as repeaters, they have zwave and zigbee from what I understand.

What changes did you make to the handler? I seem to have similar issues, so suspect I have same new version buttons as you.

1 Like