[OBSOLETE] Xiaomi Sensors and Button (beta)

I’ve just posted about pairing Xiaomi sensors on Brian S’ thread, but I’ll repeat it again here:

There are English-language manuals for some of the Xiaomi devices accessible on the FCC ID Search Database website. They are listed under FCC ID applications for Lumi United Technology Co., Ltd, here.

Of all of them, the most helpful is the manual for the Aqara Door/Window Sensor. Here is the section on how to use the button to reset / pair and what the LED flashes mean:

(NOTE: DWS = Door/Window Sensor)

The above information works for my Aqara Door/Windows sensors, Xiaomi “original” Door/Window sensors, and my Aqara leak sensor. Based on watching videos of people pairing other Xiaomi sensors (Temperature/Humidity, Presence, etc.) this information applies to those as well.

When you hold the reset button down, as soon as the LED flashes, the device has been completely reset and goes into pairing mode. 3 seconds is about right from everything I’ve seen, but really what you should do is hold the reset button in until the LED flashes and then stop pressing the reset button. This should all of course be done after you’ve selected “Add A Thing” in your SmartThings mobile app.

After that initial LED flash, there is a pause, and then you’ll either see the LED flash once (a long flash), or it will blink 3 times (short flashes).

If the LED flashes once, pairing was unsuccessful, and you should short-press the reset button to “wake up” the sensor to try pairing again. The LED will blink as you short-press the button, and after a pause it will either flash once (a long flash) or quickly blink 3 times. If it flashes only once, short-press the button again, and repeat until you see the LED quickly blink 3 times.

When the LED blinks 3 times, the pairing process has started, and you will see a “catchall” message appear in the hub event log in IDE (in My Hubs -> List Events, not in the Live Logging window).

Then, if you already have installed a correctly working Device Handler for the Xiaomi device in your IDE, a zbjoin message should appear in the hub event log shortly after the catchall message, and that’s when you’ll see the device show up in your SmartThings app, ready to be renamed.

However, because these are battery-powered “sleepy” ZigBee devices, the pairing process may not complete, so the best advice (based on a post by Ted Tolboom on this Athom home-automation thread) is to continue short-pressing the reset button every 5 seconds, even after you see the LED blink 3 times, until the pairing process is complete (and you see the device appear in your SmartThings mobile app.)

Following the procedures I’ve explained above, I have had 100% success in correctly pairing 4 Aqara Door/Window sensors, 4 “original” Xiaomi Door/Window sensors, and a Aqara leak sensor again and again in numerous tests. With my v2 hub, none of these sensors have dropped their connections.

NOTE: Before my v2 hub, I was using a SmartThings Link for NVIDIA Shield, and none of the Xiaomi devices could stay connected more than an hour, and others with the SmartThings Link have reported the same troubles. I have also seen one person with a ST Connect Home report they also had no success in keeping Xioami devices connected. So if you aren’t using a v2 hub, I can’t recommend trying to use any Xiaomi devices.

What I do recommend is trying your best to pair your Xiaomi devices so that they show up as a named device in the SmartThings mobile app instead of using the “catchall” method because then their ZigBee ID will be known by your hub, and some aspects of the “health” reporting and maintaining a connection depend on a known ZigBee ID.

5 Likes