[OBSOLETE] Simple Event Logger

Hi - thanks for the reply. Yes, I set those settings correctly, so I’m not sure what it is I’m doing wrong…

Can you edit the sheet manually? Also in the instructions is a test where you paste a long URL into browser and it will log data into the sheet… have you tried that? If it works I’d say everything in the sheet/script is set up correctly.

You shouldn’t be making any changes to either script. That url needs to be pasted into the SmartApp.

That test url won’t log anything, all it’s supposed to do is display the version number of the Google script.

Open live logging in the IDE before setting up the SmartApp and it should provide additional information about why it’s not working.

Are you copying the url shown in the publish dialog? Are you changing the version number every time you publish it?

Worked it out for both smartapps by following this advice:

thanks !

I wonder if that u/1 is referring to being logged into multiple google accounts? Seems like I might have seen that with other google apps but I don’t remember having issue with this script.

Considering that this SmartApp was released about 10 months ago and this has only been reported twice and both reports were within the last week, Google most like changed something.

When I have a moment I’ll update the documentation to mention changing the url, but I’ll also modify the SmartApp so that it will work with the new url.

2 Likes

Let’s make that three reports. :wink: I had to remove the ‘/u/1’ part of the URL to get the script to work for the first time, about 3 weeks ago. I do have multiple google accounts, but was only logged in to one at the time.

Any idea what happened to this? I just got a SmartThings and was excited to use the Simple Event Logger. While trying to create the script it gives me the error: “Sorry, unable to open the file at this time”.

Edit: I had to wait a few minutes for the web app to be approved by Google. So now it should work

Do you get that message in Google Sheets when you try to create that script or when you try to test the script?

When testing the url and adding it to the SmartApp you may have to include “u/1” like other users have recently mentioned in posts above.

When I tried testing the script. It worked after around ten minutes. Should be good now. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m having trouble converting the “Date/Time” cell from a string to an actual numeric value to manipulate. Any ideas?

What are you trying to do with it?

If you’re trying to work with the date and not the time you can use column F and column G has the hour as a number.

There are probably other Google Sheets formulas/functions you can use to perform any other calculations you’re trying to do…

Plot graphs, etc. Columns F and G both come in as #VALUE! because the data in Column A is a string, and can’t be used as an argument for =INT(). I can therefore only plot a bar chart, where the columns are all equal interval, rather than a scatter type plot.

By default the columns should be formatted properly so I’m not sure how they could have been changed.

You can try clicking the “A” in the first column so that it selects the entire column and then going to Format > Number > Date/Time.

If that doesn’t work you might have to scrap that sheet and set it up again.

I’ve tried custom formatting which didn’t work. I’ve just tried setting up another sheet from scratch and that has the same issue.

Are you saying that column F and column G are still showing #VALUE instead of the date and hour?

Yes that’s correct.

When you started over with a brand new Google Sheets file, did you touch any of the cells?

The last version I released was in February and I don’t believe any other users have reported this problem so I’m not sure what could be causing it for you…

Hmm. I’ve got 4 or 5 sheets set up logging different things and it’s the same on each. Must be a setting my end somewhere if no-one else is reporting it.

[RELEASE] Simple Event Logger v1.4

Changes were only made to the SmartApp so there’s no need to update the Google Script as long as you’re on version 1.3.

Changes:

• Fixed timeout error that some users with a lot of devices were receiving while trying to open the “Event Device Exclusions” screen.

• Added “activity” to the “Choose Events” screen which is the event used for device online/offline reporting. It might log inactive/active events for devices that don’t support the Health Check capability, but you can always add those devices to the activity excluded device list if you don’t want those events logged.

• Added “Use Value and Unit for Description” setting to the “Other Options” screen. When “Log Event Description” you can disable the new setting to log the event’s full description to the description column instead of logging the event value and unit.

If you disable that setting and see entries like “{{ abcd }}” in the description column let me know. Some of the SmartThings DTHs use tokens in that field and they’re not documented so it’s possible that my workaround missed some of them.