[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

The technical explanation of the exact problem going on here is that SmartThings does not recognize messages sent by devices on different endpoints using the same cluster. The ZigBee specification uses clusters as a way to group different types of message data, such as the “on/off” cluster 0x0006, and endpoints are intended as a way to differentiate between different applications or sets of functions assigned to a device. Sometimes device manufacturers use different endpoints assigned to one function of a device, however, which is true for a number of Xiaomi devices.

I’ve been mentioning this issue for a while because it also affects the Xiaomi “original” and Aqara WXKG11LM (original revision) buttons. Used with SmartThings, you’re missing out on hold, double-click, etc. messages that never get sent through:

If you search the ST forums, you will find that SmartThings’ lack of support for ZigBee multiple endpoint messages is a well-known issue, and there is a far-less-than-ideal suggested workaround. From this thread:

This suggested workaround does not work for Xiaomi devices, because they ignore read attribute commands on the on/off cluster. So SmartThings can’t “ask” them what kind of button press just happened.

If you read through the rest of the thread I linked to above, you see that the problem for the SmartThings engineers is that adding in Zigbee multiple endpoint message support would break things for just about everyone. This is because it would add information to the parsed incoming message data that device handlers aren’t expecting.

Honestly I’m not sure if this will ever get addressed, because it’s been a known issue for some years now, which is one of a number of reasons I’ve moved my home automation setup mostly off of the SmartThings platform.

Is the Xiaomi market large to SmartThings? I have no evidence either way.

The bottom line is that Xiaomi’s ZigBee devices do not conform 100% to the ZigBee specification, resulting in them being dropped off of non-Xiaomi gateway hubs’ networks in some circumstances. So I have a lot of difficulty seeing why Samsung/SmartThings would ever consider officially supporting Xiaomi home automation devices.

2 Likes