[OBSOLETE] MyQ Lite Door and Lamp Control (for Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

Yes, doorstate is there, and the original implementation of this SmartApp used it. However, the only way to get it was to poll MyQ servers every few minutes to keep things in sync, and eventually MyQ and SmartThings blocked us from doing that. I created this SmartApp in response to that so we could still have the same functionality as long as we brought our own sensor.

1 Like

Hey which sensor are you guys buying for the garage doors? Which works best? Thanks!

This is the current tilt senor

2 Likes

Is this assuming that the standard garage door opener device handler is installed (published) in addition to the ā€˜no sensorsā€™ version?

Any reason not to use the newest Smartthings Multipurpose Sensor that is $10 cheaper (I need 2, so $20 and yes, I see it is not currently in stock)?

Amazon - Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor [GP-U999SJVLAAA] Door & Window Sensor

I am using the old version of the SmartThings multipurpose sensor on both my doors without any issue, so I would assume that it will work fine.

1 Like

No reason not to use the new multi sensor but I will second using the EcoLink one. Extremely reliable, been using one for almost two years on the stock battery and it still shows 100%. One of the few Z-Wave devices I have that has never dropped off the network or went unavailable.

Any update to get the DTH to work in the new app? Iā€™ve tried a couple things (adding ofc code, etc) but I cannot figure this one out.

I have been wondering the same thing as I keep getting prompts to update to the new app but I donā€™t want to lose this functionality.

You mean update to a Samsung account. No one is being forced to use the new app, yet.

Brian, I have a question (and thank you for developing this). I originally had a standalone MyQ device with its own sensors that would open and close my two garage doors; I understand your code canā€™t use those sensors and Iā€™d need z-wave sensors.

However, I recently replaced one of my door openers with a new model that has MyQ built inā€“this one doesnā€™t rely on an external sensor to determine if the door is open or closed. Does your code work with the internal sensor? Should I just go with the ā€œno sensorā€ version if Iā€™m not planning on buying additional sensors?

Thanks,
Jay

Nope, SmartThings canā€™t get the door status directly from MyQ no matter which door version. Youā€™re right - if donā€™t want separate sensors, the no-sensor version of the door should be fine for you.

1 Like

Thank you. I wasnā€™t sure.
I also use https://github.com/jbnunn/Alexa-MyQGarage on AWS Lambda to control MyQ via Alexa. That code can poll the ā€œdoorstateā€ attribute. Iā€™m sure it must be based on the implementation, but if it gives you any ideas on how to make it work with the native sensor, cool.

1 Like

Yes, there are other solutions out there that do polling; the original implementation here also did polling, but MyQ does not like that, so when they see a large amount of polling traffic from a single source, they eventually move to shut it down.

3 Likes

Just installed SmartApp and Device Handler. WOW! Thank You! Itā€™s a shame they donā€™t already have direct integration with ST. But, I sure am glad there are people like you who are willing to solve a common issue for all of us.

1 Like

I think I read (somewhere in this threadā€¦ itā€™s a long read) that this is limited to 4 doors. Is that still the case? Any mod for 5 doors if it isā€¦? Just asking Iā€™m not complaining and appreciate what Iā€™m able to accomplish with this. Iā€™ll just have 1 door left outā€¦:confused:

Yes, itā€™s currently limited to 4, but I donā€™t mind modifying it to add another slot or two. Iā€™ll see if I can get to that in the next week or so.

Ideally, it would be dynamic and not care how many doors you have, but I couldnā€™t find an elegant way to do that.

That would be awesome! I donā€™t want to come across a selfish or unappreciative. You have made my system 100% better as it is. It would be nice to control that last door thoughā€¦

How will I know if/when you are able to accomplish this?

Thanks again!

OKā€¦ Iā€™m having trouble with my open/close sensors. They are just too far away to be reliableā€¦ My doors operate every time, but, the switches are hit and miss on returning the correct status.

I see two options:

1. Move to the DH for no sensors. What are the disadvantages to moving to the DH with no door sensors?
  2. Try to install a repeater. I donā€™t know the pros/cons of itā€¦

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Iā€™d go the repeater route. Are they z-wave? Could you add a repeating z-wave device or two in between the doors and the other nearest z-wave device? Should be able to extend the mesh.

You could switch to the no-sensor version, but you do lose some features like the ability to set up automations via native routines.