It’s an issue with this app and the stock device handler. Name works with the RBoy universal handler, but not with the stock “z-wave lock” handler.
That’s actually an issue with the local processing. The app sends the name along with the code to the stock or any custom device handler as long as they support accepting names.
The local device handler doesn’t seem to be executing the same way the cloud device handler does. It’s an issue with the local execution engine which has been reported to ST and they’re looking into it.
Best way to test it, take the stock device handler code (Z-Wave lock) from Github, create a new device handler in your IDE with the stock code, then edit your device to use that stock handler running in the cloud (it’ll show up at the end of the list) and test it now. It’ll work fine.
Until ST fixes local processing device handlers, if the local processing DH is reporting the wrong name in Smart Locks just delete it from SmartLocks. Don’t worry, the SmartApp will detect that you deleted it and it’ll re-create it for you in about a minute and the correct name should pop up.
You may want to try to reboot your hub and see if that helps incase the local dh is caching the old name, it should flush it out.
wow, what a mess! Isn’t that the same issue as the lock status not matching on the dashboard for Smart Locks?
Anyways, i did delete the code from Smart Locks. And your app did add it back, but with the Code 1 name. Like i said, not too big of a deal.
Okay so when the local DH won’t cooperate we’ll take matters into our own hands. The SmartApp now will detect if the local DH “missed” the name update and if so it’ll request the DTH to update the name. Give it a whirl @Automated_House (v07.01.00). The added advantage now you just change the names in the SmartApp (without changing the codes) and it’ll automatically sync up SmartLocks also.
Thank you all for your feedback and requests. This update has been baking for a while, big performance improvements and an even more intuitive user interface. All features are compatible with the stock SmartThing Z-Wave and ZigBee device handlers. ENJOY!!
Door Lock Code Multi User Management with Notifications and Actions - Version 07.01.00
- Huge speed improvements to the Sure Programming engine, user updates are in near real time and only incremental updates are sent to the lock
- Improvements to Sure Programming engine, detect if lock isn’t responding (e.g. dead battery or network issue) and stop retrying
- Improvements to user code pages, more responsive and more intuitive to use (we had our kids and grand parents try the app - no kidding!)
- Improved compatibility with SmartLocks
Instructions for upgrading the app:
- After updating the code, make sure you open the SmartApp and click on
Savefor the new changes to take effect
- (Optionally) in the Advanced Code Programming Options section, reduce the
delay between codesto
15seconds for an even better experience
Some examples of how folks are using this app:
- I give my landlord an access code for the lock but I want it disabled when I’m at home (presence based users)
- When my children are at home and the parents aren’t home, then allow the babysitter’s code to work (presence based users)
- When we’re away, allow my neighbor’s code to work (mode based users)
- I can schedule a code for my nanny with multiple schedules per day (morning and evening)
- I can program ahead for my vacation rental properties with a start and end date/time for my guests
- When I lock my door from outside I want my house to lock up behind me (close garage doors, lock all other doors, turn off switches, arm the security system etc)
- When I unlocked my outer door I want the inner door to also unlock and the lights to turn on but only at night
- I want my employees to have access only during business hours or on specifics days/modes
Lock Code User Management is the most reliable and comprehensive commercial grade User Code Management SmartApp with many (unique) features:
- Works with the built in SmartThings device handler (Z-Wave and ZigBee)
- Sure-Programming engine: verifies that programming was successful
- Unlimited users and locks
- Easy and intuitive setup
- Different types of users such as:
- one time
- expiration (start/end date/time)
- scheduled (daily/weekly etc) with multiple schedules per user
- presence based
- mode based and many more
- Support for different types of locks (keypad, bluetooth, RFID, etc)
Define custom individual Unlock and Lock actions for users such as:
- Exit delay actions (wait for X minutes before running actions)
- Separate actions for Keypad and Manual locking/unlocking and per door actions
- Turning on lights if it’s dark outside
- Unlocking/locking secondary locks
- Opening/closing garage doors
- Notifications on type of lock/unlock (manual, code, keypad, bluetooth, rfid etc)
- Running routines
- Changing modes
- Arming/Disarming SHM
- Turning on/off switches
- Define rules when to run and not run actions
Define Door Open/Close actions such as
- Automatically relocking the door when it’s closed
- Automatically unlocking the deadbolt if it’s extended, while door is open
- Ringing chimes when door is opened
- Notifications if door is left open
- Define actions for each door separately
- Lots of built in safety mechanisms to ensure users have a reliable experience
- Compatibility with SmartLocks
- and lots more…
Optionally you can use the Enhanced Universal Z-Wave Lock device handler for an even better experience.
That did the trick! Good work!
Love the new 7.0 version! Need to ask for a request. I really like the automation of arming/disarming SHM. My only issue is that we can’t use Away mode due to dogs. When we travel with the dogs we leverage away mode. Can you make this an option for people to choose either stay or away verses away being the only option?
I have 2 locks, Schlage BE468 & BE469.
In my notifications tab, the SmartApp keeps sending “sent setCodeCommand to Front Door Lock” every minute. The Front Door Lock is the BE469. I’m not getting the same notifications for the Garage Door Lock, which is the BE468.
I have the latest versions of the SmartApp and Device Handler. Is this a bug or expected behavior?
Neither, it’s an issue with your ST account or the lock mesh. The platform was facing problems with notification for some apps last week. The solution was to remove your contacts and notifications from the SmartApps and re add them. If it’s a mesh issue then your notifications aren’t reaching the hub and hence not being sent out. If the notifications are being received for one lock and not the other, the issue is the z-wave mesh. The lock should be no further than about 20ft from the nearest z-wave repeater for a good mesh. Always a good practice to reboot the hub and do a z-wave repair after adding devices to the mesh or when there’s trouble with the mesh.
Sure, please send in your request to our support team and we’ll put it on the feature list.
Strange, i know the zwave network works… i can easily lock and unlock without any delays. I have approx 20 repeaters (light switches) nicely laid out around the house.
Up until yesterday i wasn’t using the smartapp, only the DH. Yesterday i decided to switch to the SmartApp for advanced user management, then started receiving this error. Here are the notifications:
I tried rebooting the hub and also power cycling the lock (removing the batteries for a few seconds)… still getting the same notification messages. Any logs that i can send you? Thanks for the quick response!
I don’t see any errors, it’s just saying that the app is sending the program codes to the lock. If it’s retrying multiple times it indicates that your lock database is corrupted or is having trouble with mesh (since it looks like you have a good number of repeaters, just do a Z-Wave repair for good measure).
The app will detect the issue with the lock and automatically stop by itself after it retries a couple of times but it indicates an underlying issue with your lock setup. You may want to run the “clear codes” procedure listed on our website to clear / reset the lock database.
Ok, i’ll try everything you advised and report back. Should i simply clear the codes as per the procedure or also factory reset the lock from the touch pad menu?
*update * I ended up resetting both the lock from the keypad & executing the clear codes procedure, and so far so good. I guess you were correct… the database was corrupted. Thanks so much for the help!
One last quick question, is the open\close sensor supposed to work with the Schlage BE468/469? I tried setting a notification after the door was open for 5 minutes, but it doesn’t work. I’m assuming you need an actual open\close sensor on the door and select that? If that’s the case, i would remove the open/closed sensor capability from the Schlage DH.
Done in the 07.01.01 version
First and foremost - awesome development you’re doing and your apps have been very reliable and have made our vacation rental management so easy.
I’ve been using the Smart Door Lock app for 4 or 5 months now and it works great. I like the revised layout for V 7 as it’s all on one page and more user friendly. I also noticed with V 6 I don’t get loops with the smart lock trying to program codes over and over. In previous versions I would have to clear all codes, wait a few minutes, and then reprogram all to fix it but it came back sometimes when changing or adding users. So great support so far keeping this updated.
I use this for an AirBNB nightly rental. We have a property manager working with us and having the smart app integrate with AirBNB to automatically program a scheduled code based on guest booking(s) would be amazing. I know there are some locks like August, Resortlock, etc. that can connect with AirBNB’s platform/API to automate access for guests. I would love to see some sort of integration on this front… If you can figure this out it would be an amazing enhancement and I think you’ll gain a ton more customers and following in this nightly rental space as it’s been continuing to blow up.
Also, having a PC/web interface to program codes, etc. would be nice for a property manager VS using the smartphone app only. Not sure if this would be a Samsung SmartThings initiative or something that you could develop.
Finally one simple ask that I’ve sent to support is if we can have the “notify on use” option for a particular code changed to Notify On Use with an option to Notify Only on First Use (or maybe first XX number of uses to make it even more customizable). For nightly rentals this would be great to setup a scheduled code and then notify us when they first enter/use the code so we know they have arrived and we don’t want to continue seeing notifications on each lock/relock as it gets annoying. Currently we have to log into the code management and disable the push notification manually.
Thanks for the feedback, we have a lot of these on our queue already for future releases. Please do re-send in your requests via email to our support desk so we can log them and prioritize them based on requests.
We have the exact same use case… we use VRBO/HomeAway though… they too have an API that a couple of vendors support… would be awesome to get this from RBoy!
Just emailed support on this but figured I may get a reply from someone else faster here. I upgraded to V 7.01.01 the other day and all was working fine for a few days. I moved to the Z-wave universal lock w/ alarms device handler and I went to change one of the user codes of the 4 we had set, and hit save, it failed. Now when I go into configure users screen I get “Something’s Wrong” We Can’t load your screen right now message. The only way I can see the code screens again is if I change number of user codes to 1 and then I can change and modify the 1 entry but as soon as I change it to 2 or more codes, I get that error again.
I’ve tried the clear codes procedure to no avail, the same issue persists as soon as I try to add more than 1 user code I get the something’s wrong screen.
Fixed. I had to uninstall the smartapp from the management page on the smartthings api side and then reinstall it and it fixed itself.