[OBSOLETE] Lock Manager

I have some custom changes to it already, I’m an engineer by trade. However, this seems like a larger issue and I’m trying to understand how much is Samsung blocking vs it just hasn’t been done yet, before diving in.

The other things worth saying is that it does work for all the existing locks, but for anything new it doesn’t seem to add. So it feels like there’s something subtly wrong somewhere and I don’t think it’s in my custom changes.

I’ve been waiting for any development from Samsung on how to publish an app on their new platform and there hasn’t been much to go on?

I’ve been done* developing the main app on the new platform and I’ve been using it for the past month and it has been great.

No idea how to let people use it though. I have some ideas on how to hack a solution together to pass the SmartThings PING/PONG auth checks.

Sorry about your pains. I haven’t had any issue using the old app like this. Last I used it was in May and selecting child apps for creating new users was working then. A caviat was that you had to manually name the child app. Luckily all that is out of the window with the new framework app… If I’m ever allowed to publish it.

Cheers.

*“Done” Is a silly word to use in development of these apps. They’re never really done.

3 Likes

I would love to help test whatever! Love your old app which works great at our primary home. But struggling without being able to add codes at our second home waiting on this…

My Schlage BE469NX (bought in early 2015, standard Zwave, not Zwave Plus) has been going through batteries every week or two in the last month. I’ve reset the lock and upgraded to Lock Manager 2.0 in the hopes of resolving the battery drain issue. After the reset it has a direct route to the hub (which is ~12 ft away) whereas it was previously going through an intermediary device, so perhaps that will help. Nonetheless, it shows 100% battery, even when I put in a known depleted battery as one of the four cells. Is there any way to debug the battery level reading?

Will this work with IDLock? I tried the LUM from RBoy but I can’t add codes to the lock

Announcement

No longer supporting the groovy app. :sleepy:

The groovy app will still be available and works as intended. It will continue to be free to use until SmartThings decides to turn off Groovy apps. I do not know how many new bugs may exist in the app, though the last time I used it, I believe it worked quite well on it’s own.

I’ve run into a lot of roadblocks in how the SmartThings API works with data variable handling, and some other technical stuff. I’ve tried to communicate this with SmartThings but I don’t think the use-case makse sense to them. Maybe it will in the future though!

I got a new SmartThings driven version of the app pretty much fully functioning but I wasn’t able to create the features I really wanted to because the new API doesn’t allow the end-app to change variables on the SmartThings data store. This severely limited some things that I wanted to accomplish.

Because of that, I decided to scrap the new app on the SmartThings native app and end that project. I really wanted to be able to continue to offer that as a unified place to make editing happening, but because of the limitations… It was a trade-off for features that I thought where well worth it.

New App… Coming soon!

*Will likley be paid/premium.

Given what I’ve learned in the past couple months, I am making a new app that will be hosted on a website and management will happen there and connect to the new SmartThings API without storing data on SmartThings data stores itself. Kinda like how WebCORE offers much more features in a better interface than it could accomplish on SmartThings itself.

The new app is amazing so far. I love the new features and I hope people will enjoy them too. I don’t know what timeline I’m looking at for completion but I’m throwing almost all of my free-time into it. I’m thinking at some point, I will have an app that is almost complete but not quite ready for prime time. I might ask a select few to try it out and give feedback if wouldn’t be too much trouble. Giving ETAs probably isn’t a good idea, but I’m thinking sometime in December.

I hope this is interesting, and if you want to be on the list of early users to consider, be sure to let me know. It would keep me highly motivated!

14 Likes

About a month ago, my Schlage Connect lock starting showing up as offline in the SmartThings app. I would still receive lock and unlock notifications, but any schedules I had set up would not work.

I ran Z-Wave exclusion and deleted the lock from the hub & SmartThings app.
I removed the Lock Manager SmartApp from the SmartThings app.
I removed the Device Handler and SmartApp from the IDE.

I followed @aaron_p13’s steps here [RELEASE] Lock Manager - #2331 by Aaron_P13
I re-added the lock and it showed as a generic Z-Wave Device.
I added the Lock Manager SmartApp in the IDE.
I then added the Device Handler in the IDE.
I edited the device type, choosing Z-Wave Lock Schlage
The SmartThings app updated the device to be a lock, and its status showed “Checking…”
I added the SmartApp in the SmartThings app under Automations | Set Routine | Discover and found Lock Manager at the bottom of the list.
In the Lock Manager SmartApp, I added a new integration choosing the lock. Then created the lock and it says sweep in progress and that the new lock will be set up in 3 minutes.
That was almost an hour ago. It is still showing Progress 0/30 Estimated Time Left 3 minutes.
In the IDE, I went to Live Logging for the device. The logs are not encouraging. It’s repeating over and over the reloadAllCodes, deleteCode, and updateCode. It’s repeating the deleteCode for the same codes repeatedly. It looks to be stuck in some sort of loop, but it’s not repeating the deletes in the same order, nor is it deleting the same codes each pass.
Here is a snippet of the log:

9:59:59 PM: debug Progress: 0/30 Data: [["code1",null],["code2",null],["code3",null],["code4",null],["code5",null],["code6",null],["code7",null],["code8",null],["code9",null],["code10",null]]
10:00:10 PM: debug Deleting code number 8
10:00:10 PM: trace [DTH] Executing 'deleteCode()' by Front Door Z-Wave Schlage Lock
10:00:10 PM: trace [DTH] Executing 'deleteCode()' by Front Door Z-Wave Schlage Lock
10:00:10 PM: debug Deleting code number 9
10:00:10 PM: debug Deleting code number 10
10:00:10 PM: debug Deleting code number 7
10:00:10 PM: debug Deleting code number 3
10:00:10 PM: debug Deleting code number 2
10:00:10 PM: debug Deleting code number 1
10:00:10 PM: trace [DTH] Executing updateCodes() for device Front Door Z-Wave Schlage Lock
9:59:56 PM: trace [DTH] Executing 'reloadAllCodes()' by Front Door Z-Wave Schlage Lock
9:59:56 PM: trace [DTH] Executing refresh() for device Front Door Z-Wave Schlage Lock
9:59:56 PM: debug Returning commands for lock operation get and battery get
9:59:56 PM: debug Set Prefs
9:59:56 PM: debug Set Prefs
9:59:00 PM: debug New Param: lock
9:59:00 PM: debug New Param: lock
9:59:00 PM: debug App Type: null
9:58:53 PM: debug there are 1 locks
9:58:53 PM: debug Main Updated with settings: [overwriteMode:true, enableDebug:false, appType:Lock]
9:58:53 PM: debug Installed with settings: [overwriteMode:true, enableDebug:false, appType:Lock]

I have not been able to find any similar posts, so I am at a loss as to what to do next.

The only upside is that despite the logs showing codes are being deleted, they are not and we can still unlock and lock the front door. However, none of the routines or schedules work and I haven’t tried creating any new users while the lock isn’t exactly stable. I would love it if someone has experienced this and could help, or if someone hasn’t, but is smarter about coding and stack traces than I am could help me figure out what the heck is going on and how I can fix it.

I decided to let everything sit for a few days and try again.

• I went back into the ST app on my phone and deleted the lock and then deleted the SmartApp.
  • I went back to the IDE to delete any residual DTH or SmartApps left over after deleting from the app on my phone.
  • I added the SmartApp in the IDE first and published it.
  • I then added the DTH in the IDE and published it.
  • Then, I added the lock by removing the battery cover, extending the deadbolt, entering the add device mode on my phone, and entering the programming code for the lock. The hub picked up the lock right away this time.
  • Back in the IDE, I checked and the DTH was already set to Z-Wave Lock Schlage. :woman_shrugging:t2:
  • From there, I went back to my phone and added the the SmartApp, added the new integration for the lock, and it actually completed the sweep this time.
  • I re-added my users and hoping all goes well when the schedule is triggered this coming weekend. :crossed_fingers:t2:

I have no idea what happened before, or why it was being a PITA, but it seems all is functional again.

I know that this SmartApp isn’t being managed anymore, but curious if anyone has been seeing issues when trying to click on a lock from Favorites or Devices? I was trying to check the remaining battery % for one of my locks this week when I noticed the issue. When I click on any of my locks, they now say “Couldn’t download controller for . Try again later.” I’ve tried it numerous times this week and it keeps showing up.

The odd thing is if I happen to leave one in an open state, then it pops up in the top left tile in my Favorites and I can actually then get to the battery % and lock/unlock screen without getting the error message. I’m guessing this may be due to the impending groovy retirement, but was curious if anyone else was noticing this other than myself.

EDIT 1: Nevermind I figured it out. I was still using the old DTH for Z-Wave Schlage rather than the generic Z-Wave Lock with Codes DTH. Switched it and now it all works like a charm again.

EDIT 2: Still not working. Changing to the Z-Wave lock type just allowed me to see the lock status but not actually set codes. I have 2 locks that are both showing this same issue, a kwikset 910 and 912. Had to switch back to the Z-Wave Schlage type for now since at least that way the codes and schedules can work. Is anyone has any ideas, definitely would love your thoughts!

Any news on a new app now that groovy apps will stop working at the ned of September?

How do you revert the changes? It seems like my lock manager has been acting up lately and I just want to revert everything back to the original device listener so I can use the native app.

@ethayer any update on this now that Groovy sunsets the end of September?

1 Like

Sorry, I’ve been gone for awhile starting a new job and generally being annoyed with Samsung. I got frustrated with some bad iOS rollouts that had me do table-flips.

I’m scrambling to complete the dev-ops portion of launching the app. I’m also behind in getting a payment processor setup so that I can fund it.

There’s still a lot of work to do on the app, but the basic functions of what I think 99% of people need, work very well.

I’m considering letting people join for the first couple months for free, and then adding a subscription model later so that I can pay for this effort. There’s so many unknowns right now for me to feel comfortable charging for a service. Namely if the groovy to new API systems will allow the same device functions to work after the migration. I’m also worried that the onboarding process for the new app. It isn’t straight forward and user-friendly as I’d like. You also need to give me secret keys to an app install, which I don’t love but it’s the current accepted way to do this.

I’m almost done with the staging site for what will be the production version of the app. I’m not an AWS wizard so its taking me a bit.

Stay tuned, I’m working on it and will make a post inviting people to try it out.

P.S. Is anyone else launching web-services for the new API right now? I’m pretty curious on how this new API is going to be successful.

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re still pursuing it!

Off the top of my head, I know SharpTools, ConstantGraph.com and the below app I think are using web services. I’m sure there’s others.
[EDGE][RELEASE] Simple Device Info Viewer

1 Like

HAH! I love their pricing structure “Free for now.” Exactly what I’m thinking with my app.

2 Likes

I would be interested in doing some testing for you when you’re ready.

I love this app and don’t know what I’d do with out it … I don’t understand how ST can support z-wave locks, but with no way of managing codes on the lock … Have you see the approach brbeaird took with the MyQ and RainMachine (in the future) integrations? He’s using a Docker container to run a little server for things to be discovered and connect. Not sure if that would be an option here, since we’re not connecting to a cloud service, but I’m thinking running something on a NAS with Docker locally would avoid relying on AWS.

If this doesn’t make any sense, feel free to ignore this, lol!

The SmartThings provided Smart Lock Guest Access can mage lock codes. Not nearly as many functions as this app, but manually adding and deleting is possible.

2 Likes

OMG, thank you for this! I was scratching my head trying to figure this out. Apparently, in the “Smart Lock Guest Access” Life app, you can click on “Locks” in the top left corner and change it to “Lock Codes”. Apparently there used to be an arrow next to the word “Locks” to indicate a drop down, but it’s not showing up on my app …

2 Likes