[OBSOLETE] Leviton Decora Z-Wave Plus Dimmers (DZ6HD & DZ1KD)

I haven’t seen them posted anywhere.

You might try checking with Leviton support

I am looking for a little clarification, this could possibly be the wrong place.

For the DZ6HD, is it possible to dim lower than 10%?

I have one DZ6HD. The range is 0 to 100. Mine operates a single LED ceiling “can” light and works thru the whole range.

I just wanted to thank you @jasonxh for this.
Worked flawlessly and it fixed that annoying bug, I’m surprised the built-in handler for Leviton Decora hasn’t addressed it yet (Being a big brand and all).

I’ve been following this thread for awhile and finally decided to also do something with my outdated firmware. Instead of buying a USB zwave stick, I contact Leviton support and explained the problem I’ve been having. They shipped to me a loaner Aeotec Z-Stick (gen5) and also provided me with instructions on how to updated my dimmers and switches to 1.20. Below is the link to download the latest firmware:
https://filetransfer.leviton.com/link/9LrvU6A5pfP01P9D0LDinj

They also asked me to contact them again once I finish with the update so that they can ship me a return label so that I can return the z-stick.

I hope others will have the same treatment from Leviton support. It’s been all positive for me so far, and costed me nothing.

2 Likes

Anyone having issues with the Leviton switches freezing regularly?
I have maybe 1 switch freeze every 2 weeks (either on or off), where the only fix is to toggle the breaker or do the air gap trick.

I only have three Levitons (two switches, one dimmer).

No issues. What firmware version are yours running?

I have six Leviton dimmers - four DZPD3-2BW plug in type and two R51-DZ6HD-1RZ wall type.
I also have one wall plug type DZPA1-2BW.

All of the dimmers have been updated to firmware version 1.20 and I have no issues.

I am also using the @jasonxh Leviton Decora Z-Wave Plus Dimmer device handler allowing me to set the Advanced options like Fade Out time, etc.
Advanced options

I too hope SmartThings will create a specific device handler based on Jason’s

I sent an email to support@samsung.com requesting that.

I worked like a charm!!!

I was getting nuts with this offline issue.

And those parameters so easy to switch back and forth.

5 stars for you!!

Now I am understand what happened when buying used or outdated Leviton Z-wave dimmer switches…

They work but you have to risk yourself to get them with outdated firmware.

Good question.
No answer for that… but even if the dimmer can make it below 10% then you have to have a bulb that behaves and don’t break under those circumstances. My understanding is that not all of them can do it.

Are there any instructions for how to use this new device handler? I got it added as a device handler but then what? How do you use it? Where does it show up? How do you switch to it from the generic zwave device handler? Is there something you do in the IDE? In the app? Do I have to delete and re-add all my devices?

I’m sorta new to SmartThings (not at all to HA) so this might be a dumb question but I’m not getting it.

I’m trying to troubleshoot some connectivity issues with some of my Leviton dimmers. I can sort of control the dim on my DZ6HD but on/off and status doesn’t work. Sounds like this DH doesn’t fix that issue, I need 1.2 firmware but I think I have seen the 99% so thank you for this.

Yes, this is something you do in the IDE, not the app. And no, there’s no need to delete and re-add.

• Login to the IDE (https://account.smartthings.com)
  • Go to the My Devices list
  • Open the device page for the device you want to change by clicking on the device’s name
  • At the bottom of the page, click the Edit button
  • Use the Type pulldown list to change to the new device type
  • Click Update

The results should be nearly instant.

For what it’s worth, I now have 5 Leviton devices (2 DZ15S switches and 3 DZ6HD dimmers) and run all of them using the generic Z-wave device type handlers (Z-Wave Switch Generic and Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Generic). For me, local execution is much more important than nearly anything.

There are several posts from me on this thread. Bottom line is that getting my devices to the 1.20 firmware resolved all problems with the Leviton devices.

thank you! OK, I get it now.

Yeah, I’m flashing one of my misbehaving DZ6HD switches to what I think is 1.2 as I type. (hopefully the DZ6HD_01_20.hec file that came with Z-Flash is what I think it is) At least, I hope it’s the bad switch, because, I’m using Z-Flash with the secondary node inclusion method but unfortunately, what Z-Flash shows me doesn’t line up with what SmartThings shows me so I’m taking a guess. As far as I can tell, there’s no easy way to get ZWave node ID from SmartThings IDE or app. If I could get the node ID from ST, then I’d know exactly which switch I was looking at in Z-Flash.

In my case, my worst behaving DZ6HD had a firmware version (1.17) different than all the rest (several 1.13s and 1.17s) so hopefully I’m flashing what I think I’m flashing.

Looking forward to seeing if 1.2 fixes my issue like it has for others.

thanks again for your reply

Dan

The node ID is in the IDE in the column labeled “Device Network Id” but it’s in hexadecimal (base 16) while z-flash uses decimal (regular base 10).

If you didn’t grow up programming IBM mainframes in machine language, hunt up a hex to decimal converter on the interwebs.

The file you mentioned is what I used to update my Levitons last year. If you’ve pointed z-flash at the right device you should be good.

oh man, you just made my night. Windows calc does hex/dec conversion and now I can correlate between ST and Z-Flash. Thank you!

Let the flashing begin.

1 Like

That’s how I’m about to spend my day, too. Need to flash all my Zooz switches and dimmers, total of 22 devices. :pleading_face:

It’s been long enough that I had forgotten what a total pain it is to update firmware on smart dimmers and switches.

I did two out of 22 and decided it wasn’t worth the trouble.

I have yet to manage a firmware update without having to force remove the updated device, factory reset, and add back to SmartThings. Which then entails going around fixing automations. Grrrr…

yeah, it was kind of an ugly process. I bought Homeseer Z-flash because I had a Homeseer Z-net laying around. (recently switched from HS to ST) I also had an Aeotec stick on the way and Leviton 1.2 bits in hand but was impatient and Z-flash was only $15.

I was able to include Z-flash into my ST network as a secondary controller. This let me update the 10 or so switches that Z-flash could find (except for the one I was having the most trouble with) without removing them from ST. The troublemaker switch I excluded from ST, added to Z-flash, flashed then added back to ST. Fortunately very few automations and scenes on that one.

Z-flash let me batch switches with identical make/model but the more I batched, the more issues I had. Each upgrade attempt took 10-15 minutes and I had to retry a few times.

Then when I was done, I excluded Z-flash from my ST network.

What are you using to flash?

I have Z-flash, which I purchased to flash my Levitons about a year or more ago. Back when I was doing the Levitons, I couldn’t keep them on the SmartThings mesh long enough to flash them with Z-flash as a secondary.

I did one Zooz ZEN27 with Z-flash connected as a secondary controller. As has been my experience with Zooz devices before, this left me with a dimmer that would not respond to commands. I had to force exclude it, factory reset and re-add it to SmartThings.

Zooz recommends a tool called PC Z-wave Controller from Silicon Labs that has similar capabilities to Z-flash. I tried a second dimmer using that tool and had the same experience.

In messaging with the guy who wrote the current DTH for these Zooz devices, he said “be sure to factory reset the devices after a firmware upgrade or lots of stuff can get messed up.”