[OBSOLETE] Ikea Tradfri Wireless Dimmer Device Handler draft

Hi all, I have been able to successfully pair the dimmer to Smartthings (V2 hub), but it wont let me configure it or set routine of any kind (i.e. connect to a bulb(s), rotate clockwise to brighten a bulb, etc…

I have gone into the dev portal to manually select the right device type.

Any ideas, or is this what I should expect?

Right managed to get the ‘%’ value to change in the ST app, when turning the dimmer, but still no access to config setting option, and can not trigger a routine to turn on/ off a bulb.

Help please :slight_smile:

"To use this device I recommend using the “Smart Lighting” SmartApp.

• In this SmartApp you can create a new lighting automation then follow these steps:
  • Select the bulb(s) to control in “Which devices do you want to control”
  • In “What do you want to do?” select “Mirror Behaviour”
  • In “Mirror which switch?” select the dimmer
  • Now the selected lights will dim with the IKEA dimmer"

So where is the latest working DH for the dimmer please?

Brilliant, works now. Thanks for the guide. its a little hit and miss sometimes, but a good toy :slight_smile:

Thanks for the updated driver. Finally got around to installing and seems to work for me.

Got the Tradfri Wireless Dimmer working to mirror control GE In-wall Smart Dimmers. Very cool! Thx! What doe s the configure icon do in the Smartthings app for the Tradfri Wireless Dimmer?

@kristian.andrews ; Wanted to add my thanks… works like a charm, key was the “Mirror Behavior”.

Any chance we can pull battery level?

Hello, glad it is working well!
I have been trying to get the battery level reported but with no luck so far. I tried all the different ways I could find but none of them worked. I’m not exactly an expert so if anyone gets it working let me know!
I’ll probably give it another go one day!
Kris.

Hello, the configure button configures the bindings for the dimmer. This is needed if you detect the dimmer as a generic thing then change the handler to the dimmer manually. In this case the code that configures reporting of the turn events doesn’t get run automatically, so this button can do it manually.
If you add the device handler first then detect the dimmer you shouldn’t need it. Hope it works well for you!
Kris.

Any updates on this project, I have the dimmer connected but i find it takes a long time to update ST and change the bulb brightness.

Hello, unfortunately that is probably just due to the way ST works, the device handler runs in the cloud so it can take a little while to respond.
Is it slower than other devices you have set up?
I didn’t make any changes to the handler recently as it seems to be working, but open to suggestions or additions by other coders!
Kris.

Yes it’s much slower than other devices, sometimes 10 seconds to a minute. and i’m sitting right next to the hub.
I have many non Samsung devices on my ST including z-wave,zigbee and Wifi i.e. Xiaomi, sonoff, aoen labs etc etc.

Just came here to say this device handler is working great with the Smart Lighting automation. Thanks for the awesome code.

I use the version of your post, Krisitian, from Sep '18, the “IKEA Tradfri Dimmer” version and this works fine.
Many thanks to all involved for making this Ikea “Puck” work!

1 Like

Hello Kristian,

Ty for your st handler for the Ikea´s Dimmer. I´m using it since last year, but it is very slow and in your post you write about one handler that dosn´t work in the cloud, can y try that? Where can i find it? Ty again.

I have mines all time-on in pedestal lamps. And the battery is pretty low as sometimes fail to talk to the bulbs; so having the bulbs off from the wall does not seem to me a difference.

@kristian.andrews hey, thanks for this, I bought the dimmer the other day and set up with your latest handler code and can control bulbs I have. Only thing is the actual dimming is not as expected, it can jump up and down and is sometimes very sensitive and sometimes not. I understand there can be a slight delay but this is more about the actual level of light jumping erratically and not dimming as expected with each turn (sometimes it will even dim down when im turning it up and vice versa).

As I understand is should be slow turning for dimming and fast to turn for On/Off . Its not like this for me.
I have tried with an Osram Zigbee smart bulb and also with a TP Link Kasa WIFI bulb and same issue with both.

Any advice on what could be the issue would be much appreciated. Many thanks

anyone got any ideas on this or should I just return the dimmers…

I found the dimmer to be too sensitive to properly control the lights, is there a way to tune the sensitivity?