[OBSOLETE] Hue Dimmer Switch (ZHA) (beta) (no hue bridge)

See the buttons FAQ, the Xiaomi Devices are listed there.

I think you are referring to these buttons? Thatā€™s about $8 each: https://www.gearbest.com/smart-light-bulb/pp_257679.html?wid=21

Thatā€™s pretty good, around the same price per button as the hue dimmer switch.

I thought Iā€™d also add that Iā€™ve got the hue dimmer switch working now for 3 days straight using this code. (Of course now that I posted this itā€™ll lose connection tomorrowā€¦ just seems to be how it works ha)

After youā€™ve paired, and its working, Try resetting again, but donā€™t search for it in the app, just let the dimmer connect on its own. Then see how you go for keeping the connection.

So Iā€™m still not able to get the remote to work for more than a few days in a row. Iā€™m at the point of returning it.

Seems like a remote issue as the LED flashes red instead of the normal green when it disconnects.

I have a hue dimmer switch (RWL020) that I would like to connect direct to smartthings with this device handler, but I am having a difficult time getting it to pair. When I reset the switch and go to add device (with amber light blinking), the light on the dimmer switch blinks green once and then goes off, like it has connected, but smartthings doesnā€™t show any new devices.

Any suggestions?

Mine just shows up with a zero beside it(Island Switch as it shows above). There is no on/off option. Did I do something wrong?

I have the same issue, I presume its due to a bad pairing but couldnt resolve the issue, if you found the problem id be happy to hear if theres a solution

Iā€™m also having the same issue. has anybody resolved this?

As a bit of an update to the above post, with a lot of fiddling itā€™s now working. it involved searching for new devices and a lot of prodding the setup button (without deleting the original ā€œthingā€)

Unfortunately Iā€™m not sure the exact sequence of button pushing and thing searching.

Hi,

I have been using this device handler for months now. I have a few observations which may be of use:

• Sometimes the controllers become unresponsive - I believe that this always coincides (but does not always happen) when the hub firmware is updated. I have two switches and both of them go offline at the same time.
  • If the controller is unresponsive, it can be resolved in the following way:
    1. Go into the SmartThings app and start scanning for a new thing.
    2. Press the recessed reset button on the controller for 10 seconds.
    3. Wait until the light stops flashing and turns green (indicating that it is connected). Cancel the search in SmartThings app. The device should be active again.
  • I used the method described by @Royster here: [ALPHA] Hue Dimmer Switch (ZHA) (beta) (no hue bridge)
  • I use webCoRE to make use of the buttons, there is a bit of lag, but I have found it reliable.
2 Likes

I found that the device handler is setup for the device being model ā€œRWL020ā€ where as mine is a ā€œRWL021ā€ (saw this under the data section of the device). I updated model to ā€œRWL021ā€ on the ā€œfingerprint profileIdā€ line of the device handler and it started working and logging button presses.
HTH

1 Like

@Royster
Did you get the dimming to work using the two middle buttons? I am wondering is there any SmartApp for increase/decrease brightness level.

You should be able to achieve this with webCoRE. Since the above Iā€™ve extended my HA with bulbs and moved the dimmers back to Hue. Due to far too many outages on ST side, my lights are useless when this happens. At least with the Hue bridge itā€™s local execution, and less stress from my other half :wink:

@Stephen_McLaughlin
Is there any SmartApp that could bind the Hue device with this DT to a Virtual Dimmer Switch? The four buttons should match exactly to the four events of a dimmer switch, i.e. turn switch ON, turn switch OFF, increase physical [brightness] level, decrease physical [brightness] level.

Iā€™d be interested in this too :slight_smile: !

Forgive me if Iā€™m way off, but I use Color Co-ordinator from the Marketplace to match two bulbs brightness, colour etc - would that do what you want?

Main reason Iā€™m in this thread though is to find out how reliable this DTH is - is it steady enough now for day to day use?

Iā€™m considering getting some Hue Dimmers but could do without another ethernet bridge.
And I take it the Hue dimmer will work with non-Hue bulbs, as the control comes through ST? Iā€™d struggle to remember which of my smart bulbs are Hue, Hive, or others.

The custom DH works fine as long as they are used as buttons. You need to have the right smartapp to do the rest.

So I have got one of my Dimmerā€™s set up, has anyone got a WebCoRE piston example for how theyā€™ve assigned buttons? Iā€™m still learning so itā€™s useful to get examples of how others are structuring their code.

The reset is for 15 seconds with a paperclip in the setup. Then the LED turns on green, remove the paperclip and a few seconds later the LED flashes orange. Then start to add.

I absolutely love this. Using webcore and mutiple HdS throughout the house, I have been able to automate everything.
Regarding the dropouts (only happened to me a few times), I just reset the switch and itā€™s back up. Could functionality be added to the code to do a reset.

If so, webcore could poll and run the reset if it looses connection? Major script kitty, donā€™t know what I talking about :slight_smile: thanks