[OBSOLETE] How to control anything with inexpensive Lutron Pico remotes

Glad you got it going.

Auto startup of a node app is done via the init.d directory. It’s a little advanced, but that’s the great thing about a raspberry pi. Make a backup image of your sd card and then you can play and learn to your hearts content without fear. If you mess something up while you’re learning, no problem. Just restore your sd card from the backup image.

1 Like

Solved!

I ran into an issue when I hit Part 4 - Configure The Lutron Caseta v1.0 SmartApps. When I try to run the app, I get a message saying “0” servers found and it sits there and nothing happens - for more than 15 minutes. I’m looking for a way to troubleshoot the program to see where I made an error.

I have the Caseta Pro, and I can control my Caseta lights in SmartThings. However, I can’t seem to connect the app for some reason via the Lutron Pro Service Manager. Telnet is set up and working fine.

One of the things I noticed is the node.js connects to the Lutron app via a login. How does the node.js know which SmartThings login to use?

Yes, I’ve verified the IP addresses on line 5 and 6, and they are correct. I found it interesting one line has and the other doesn’t but I don’t think this has any impact.

The logs don’t show any activity or connection with the SmartThings login or the IP address.

I am running this on a Ubuntu server with Node v8.15.0 and npm v6.4.1.

Solved! The SmartThings bridge MUST be on the same network (or VLAN) as the Node.js server

Thanks! Added to the Note after Part 4, section 3. Appreciate you finding that gap in the instructions.

When I’m running node runServer.js, I got this error

not sure what is wrong with the node server

Just an update to say latest Advanced Button Controller is can be found here

Thanks Paul. I’ll make a note in the OP that you have taken over the ST development from Stephan and I’ll link to your repo.

1 Like

Where does one find the beta version?

The OP says you have to have the “Pro” version of smart bridge for pico remote control of non-Lutron devices.

I was trying to discover what the difference was between the smartbridge and smartbridge pro and found this web page:

Looks like both have pico support but they say the difference is blinds and security systems. Maybe they left out some details but will be getting the pro version.

You guys talking about the Habitat’s Elevation hub with built in Lutron support … do you still need the Lutron smartbridge Pro to control non-lutron stuff with pico remotes?

I revampted our church sanctuary with Leviton Vizia switches probably 13yrs ago … before smart hubs were out, and used some of their “virtual switch/remotes”. I figured by now there would be lots of those types of remotes out so people can do 3-way type control without 3 way wiring. I bought a GE type “remote” only to discover you have to have 3 way wiring and use traveler wires! Ain’t nobody got time fo dat! I want to be able to control lights from virtual wall switches and shocked that the pickins are slim. I really like the looks and cost of the Lutron remotes. For me and how many remotes I’d like, it’s worth it to buy the pro bridge and use the inexpensive remotes vs the way overpriced Leviton virtual switchs. I see Sylvania has an inexpensive button but don’t really like the looks of it. The Lutron is the better bang for the buck.

Thanks for this article! I just built a new house and some of the wiring isn’t the way I’d like so I’m customizing it with technology vs messing up the drywall and fishing wire. My old house was all done with X10 :slight_smile:

Hubitat’s local, LAN based integration with Lutron requires at minimum of a Caseta SmartBridge Pro. The big difference between the non-Pro and Pro version, as far as Hubitat is concerned, is the need for TELNET support. Only the SmartBridge Pro (and other higher end Lutron systems) support TELNET for integration. This means that Hubitat’s integration has no cloud dependency as all traffic is over your home LAN, and it is very fast.

4 Likes

The difference between the pro model and the non-pro model is in the type of communications it accepts. The pro model accepts many more types and therefore can be used in many more third party integrations. It has an open API specifically for this purpose. Just as one example, you cannot use telnet with the base model but you can with the pro model.

2 Likes

There are quite a few brands that offer zwave “virtual remotes“ that don’t require a physical traveler wire. You just have to check each individual model to see. Just as an example, Linear/GoControl and Eaton Cooper both offer virtual three-way set ups. Leviton has some of both kinds. Lutron ( not zwave, they use their own proprietary frequency, “clear connect”)has the pico’s for virtual three ways, but also has some master switch models which can use a physical traveler wire to an existing dumb switch.

So just depends on what you’re looking for, choice is good. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Got it! Thanks for expounding more. I have the Pro2 on order.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on Eaton and GoControl. I looked up their offering but the Lutron Pico is still the best deal in my opinion. Just bought 8 pico remotes at $11 something each. Doing the same with other brands would cost quite a bit more than the Lutron bridge I had to get.

1 Like

I use Lutron switches in my own home and really like them. :sunglasses: But for someone who wants to stick with zwave, there are alternatives for both types of accessory switches.

Want to stick with Zwave or Zigbee. Not really interested in WiFi. Never heard of Lyon. Did a quick google search but just got noise.

Sorry, voice error. That should’ve been “Lutron.” I fixed my post above. Sorry for any confusion.

Lutron is neither zwave nor zigbee. They have their own proprietary protocol, “clear connect.“ that’s why you need their SmartBridge to integrate them with smartthings.

Understood. Should have been more clear. I’ve not had experience with Lutron before but did a crash course reading up on their Clear Connect protocol and am familiar with their regular non-wireless products and know they make good stuff so didn’t hesitate (too much) to order up their bridge and a ton of their other stuff.

2 Likes

Great products. Just work. Not pairing or joining issues. No exclusion/inclusion/repair, etc. They’re real workhorses. Top quality product for sure.

1 Like

Hi guys, bit of a novice here at all this…

Currently have lutron caseta dimmers and pico remotes throughout the entire house, working great. Recently added a few outdoor items (pergola lights and pool lights) that are on ge outdoor zwave switches. Working great with smartthings and voice but the wife and kids would like physical switches… I haven’t found anything that I can stick into a 2 or 3 gang decora wall plate and look good that is specifically intended to trigger zwave devices in smartthings but I got to thinking I wish there was a way to use some pico remotes as they look great with the wall mount kits… And thus a google search let me to this thread…

Now, unfortunately I understand that I must trash my existing lutron bridge and buy a pro bridge… Bit of a pain at $150 but alright…

Moving on though… Also have to buy a rasberry pi and go through those detailed but extensive instructions with the node server etc seems daunting to me… Then I see the mention of hubitat… I see the hubitat is about the same price as a rasberry pi starter kit but hopefully less complicated… My question though, if I go that route, am I switching away from smartthings to the hubitat ecosystem, or can I simply use hubitat to interface with the lutron pro bridge and than connect hubitat to smartthings?

1 Like