[OBSOLETE] GE Motion Switch (26931) and Motion Dimmer (26933)

That’s exactly what I did. And I typed “vacancy”. That’s all I have to do?

Also, for this and other devices, where can i get a list of acceptable values for options available?

I have never used it that way as I always push a config. Not sure of your use case, but you MIGHT have to use the syntax I used in the code. For example, it MIGHT be “Vacancy” (capitalized).

I will see if I can test it later. Let me know if you get to it before I do.

MichaelS, First thank you for the DTH. I have been using it for some time without issue, but lately I have 2 26931 switches that seem to always show as ON in SmartThings UI and ActionTiles. I recently upgraded to 1.0.5 and it resolved this issue with 14 other of my 26931 switches .

The only difference is that these 2 switches are in Association Group 2 with each other. IE 9C switch has the 9D switched listed in it’s Association Group 2. And switch 9D has 9C listed in it’s Association Group 2. Am I doing something wrong here? One is a Light for entering the bathroom which has the other in the toilet area of the same room and I am trying to use motion to turn on both lights and turn off after someone leaves. The lights do eventually turn off but and even show off in the GUI for a time but eventually show as on again in the GUI even though they are not on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Darren

Hey Darren,

Typically, if a DTH works then suddenly doesn’t (or changes visually) it mean the SmartThings/ActionTiles app changed something with how it processes the data from the DTH. That being said, I am having trouble visualizing what you are talking about in your work flow.

That being said, I have had a few instances where the App shows a switch on, when it is off, etc. Are you using the Classic app or the new one?

Could you show how you did this in WebCoRE? When I set it to go to 5% when I go to be it works when I turn on the light with the app. But when I light the light by going into the room it jumps to 99%

I didn’t do it in WebCoRE. I used automations in the Smart Lighting SmartApp.

Hi Michael,

I just paired in a Jasco version of the Motion Switch which to my knowledge only differs by the ProductID:0x3031 vs 0x3032. Added this device to your DTH and the device paired and I can control it + adjust settings! Where I am having a little trouble is seeing motion in the control screen or as a trigger for automations. I am able to see the motion in the history so I know its getting translated correctly. I’m guessing my issue stems from using the new app? Which seems to lack any new documentation :confused: on how code for the new UI.

1 Like

I do not have the new app so I have no idea what you might be seeing. I know it is a minor inconvenience but if it is showing motion in the history then you can program off of it.

I plan to go to the new app and when I do I will probably swing back and fix this if it is really an issue with the DHT.

1 Like

@MichaelS I just took a look at mine in the new app- @GSimms is correct - it’s not exposing the motion part correctly to the new app automation builder. I compared it to my Aeotec Multi 6 which is… Something’s definitely borked.

@Gsimms you can work around it for now with either SmartLighting (SmartApp to add in NewApp) or Webcore

So the ZWave firmware (from the other thread) is the culprit?

I think theres two separate issues potentially.

The isue above, I think its something to do with vid and the new app and how it sees capabilities. I also think the 30.3 firmware is eating device status mesaages and I’m having a terrible time with motion events from my three rooms that have these. (I didnt make that correlation until yesterday when I started researching the issue above…)

Waiting for the firmware beta to hit to see how it looks after and I’ll let you know.

Hmmm…My system has been stable for about a year, but it was only after the firmware update recently that I started having delayed notifications, so seems to be a few things going on.

I just ordered 3 new GE switches, so nothing like changing a bunch of things at once to assist with troubleshooting :slight_smile:

Nah, change 50 variables at once. No problem. :sunglasses:

Really though, I started seeing delays on my master bedroom lamp Right after the firmware deployment and just thought I had bad routes. When I started looking at this last night I also noticed my three others acting wonky, with automations not responding to motion events, states not updating and the inability to switch the device on/off from the app in some cases.

1 Like

MichaelS, thank you so much for this useful tool, much better than the one provided in Smartthings. It worked well.

I have one question. I want to automate changing the mode between occupancy and manual so that the lights come on automatically in the evening until bedtime then during the night and all day, the lights are manual so that someone that is sleeping is not bothered by lights coming an automatically.

Is there a way to automate settings the way the on/off function can be automated or some other way?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

No problem…I have pretty much standardized on these. Just installed 3 more today.

Yep! I have the something similar…I have a guest bathroom that, during the day, is “vacant”…at night it goes into "Occupied’ so that is someone enters the bathroom, the light automatically turns on.

You have to use a tool like WebCore where all of the programming APIs are exposed. Here is sample of how I do my rooms:

The programming code is highlighted here (notice I have two methods to do occupied (occupancy() and occupied()). The interface syntax is listed here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=GE_Z-Wave_Motion_Sensor_Dimmer_Switch

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you so much. I tried to install webCore manually. Copied and pasted all four parts and saved and published them to me. I went to install Smartapps and webCore was not listed. Any suggestions?

MichaelS

Micheal

SmartThings Published Contributor

May 18

toddo0254:
MichaelS, thank you so much for this useful tool, much better than the one provided in Smartthings. It worked well.

No problem…I have pretty much standardized on these. Just installed 3 more today.

toddo0254:
Is there a way to automate settings the way the on/off function can be automated or some other way?

Yep! I have the something similar…I have a guest bathroom that, during the day, is “vacant”…at night it goes into "Occupied’ so that is someone enters the bathroom, the light automatically turns on.

You have to use a tool like WebCore where all of the programming APIs are exposed. Here is sample of how I do my rooms:

The programming code is highlighted here (notice I have two methods to do occupied (occupancy() and occupied()). The interface syntax is listed here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=GE_Z-Wave_Motion_Sensor_Dimmer_Switch

Enjoy!

I have not idea…I am not the author of that app; however, it sounds like you did the right thing with saving and publishing…maybe look for a Webcore forum post and see what other folks experience is…

Sorry I can’t be more help with that app.

For anyone that used the switch (26931) DTH, I just updated it to 1.0.6…this aligns with the fixes I did a couple months ago with the dimmer switch. Added a motion sensor reset option of 60 seconds and fixed the parameter that saves this to the switch (it was broken and would default to 20 seconds no matter what). I am updating the documentation as well.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

For those that monitor this thread, I just updated both the dimmer and switch code to 1.0.7.

Here are the major updates to the code:

• (Both) Used SmartThing reference to put in some ‘secure’ code bits
  • (Both) Pulled out code that was left over from generic dimmer code
  • (Both) Pulled out the simulator code. I haven’t used the simulator for YEARS and it just adds bulk to the code
  • (Both) Pulled out the BUTTON attribute for these devices. This is only important if you have this being used in some app that looks specifically for buttons, or possibly WebCore routines that look for button presses. From a strict definition, these devices are not a buttons so I pulled this attribute out of the code; but I am looking to the community on use cases
  • (Both) Added a "turning on/turning off’ transition event which seemed to help with the GUI acknowledge a change in state of the devices (see the update below for the switch)
  • (Both) Removed some of the more technical ZWave logging events and put in some more verbose ones (I.e. Motion detection is active/inactive)
  • (Dimmer) Used SmartThings reference to limit programmic levels to correct ranges
  • (Switch) Fixed an issue where the switch could be turned on via automation, then turned off with a physical button press and the app GUI would NOT show a state change (or show a wrong one). I seemed to have fix this completely, but need confirmation from the community.

Thanks to @nathancu for beta testing these.

Also, in the course of testing these DTHs I found a unique situation where the dimmer will not send an ‘off’ Zwave command if your default dimmer value is 0% in the settings. This was a unique condition where you would use automation to turn it on, and the timeout on the switch (Vacant or Occupied) would turn it off. Every other on/off condition showed the state change properly. As such, I only updated the documentation for the switch as the functionality only errors out during very unique use cases that can be worked around. And 0 is a valid setting in this area as it allows the switch to return to the previous, manually set, value. I have updated the documentation for both of these devices:

Switch: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=GE_Z-Wave_Motion_Sensor_Switch

Dimmer: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=GE_Z-Wave_Motion_Sensor_Dimmer_Switch

If you have issues after the update, do the following (Shouldn’t be required, but I have also seen this in testing)

Update the DTH in the IDE
Refresh the DTH in your app so the proper version is shown
Pull the small tab below the switch to remove power
Wait 10 seconds, push the tab in
Go to setting and save.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thank you for the fabulous work that improves our domestic life every day! If possible please take a look at the bug I found. I am using both legacy and new SmartThings iOS apps. But prefer the new one most of the time. So when configuring Settings for GE Motion Switch, the boolean toggle switches do not seem to reflect the current state. So if I set “Enable Motion Sensor” to On, close device Settings page (restart the app), and go to Settings page again it will show “Enabled Motion Sensor” as Off. The same use case works well in the legacy SmartThings app.