[OBSOLETE] Ecolink Wireless Light Switch Retrofit (TLS-ZWAVE5)

In thinking about it, you could probably modify a multi-gang plate with an X-acto knife and some super glue. Use parts of another plate to cover the areas.

1 Like

Whatever happens to Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds?

2 Likes

The motto doesn’t say anything about floods…:cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :canoe: :wink:

4 Likes

It’ll resume when it’s the best. I heard it might be next week. Still unsure. No activity on tracking as of yet. If anyone gets the device, let us know!

Obligatory Disney Reference:
Pumbaa: It’s our motto.
Young Simba: What’s a motto?
Timon: Nothing. What’s a motto with you?

3 Likes

Sorry about if this is a silly question.

Is there a motor that moves the physics switch?

How does this work?

Yes! The unit contains a motor that physically actuates the switch. It is activated by commands from the hub. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

I have the unit in and installed.
TLS-ZWAVE5 is for Toggle Switches. It’s a pretty nifty device! Does the same thing as the Switchmate.
However, it is MUCH more reliable as far as the connection goes. In my tests, it actuates within 1 second!

The DTH doesn’t work fully, but switching it to a Z-wave switch will let it work. It does pair correctly.

Pictures coming soon.

3 Likes

A few initial thoughts on it:
Setup:
Took about a minute to set up. It takes 2 screwdrivers. One for the actual switch cover, the other for a little screw at the bottom of the unit to secure the faceplate. It was really easy!

Functionality:
It works! Essentially just the same as the Switchmate, but feels much more responsive. It is a little noisy, perhaps a little louder than the Switchmate.

Looks
It’s honestly not the best looking device. But for a quick way to connect any Switch to your HA Network, it’s amazing!

Photo Album: https://goo.gl/photos/FHgjnptd9svgjFYY7

3 Likes

Is there a second page of pictures with the installed ecolink? I just see the unboxing ones.

They’ll be added shortly. I just forgot to add them in.

Edit:
They are on the album.

1 Like

Thoughts on if I used 2 of these on a 3 way switch how I could reliably tell on from off? My goal is to turn off after a period of time being on since my family leaves this switch on constantly, but with a 3 way both directions can be on or off depending on the other switch.

I’d say cover the other switch with a button device, with either the GoControl (WA00Z-1, DTH by me) or the SYLVANIA Smart+ Dimming Switch. Both work with SmartThings and don’t control the circuit directly.
Use either WebCoRE or the Smart Lighting to make the buttons useful.

I cannot link to either right now, I’m on mobile, on my work break.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but not sure I am ready for totally wireless controls yet. I have pretty solid experience with ST so far, but its slow/flaky enough that for a main use light I wouldn’t want to go that route yet.

1 Like

Been thinking about this and using webCore I guess it would be easy enough to just code for the up/down state combinations of the 2 switches in a 3 way switch. Does the device record up vs down or just that it toggled?

EDIT: replied to the wrong post so tagging @ajpri

I don’t think 2 of these would be the best for a 3-way light.
The Device works by actuating a motor to flip the physical light switch whenever the Hub sends a command. In addition, when the slider at the front of the device is physically flipped, it’d change the switch and send a notice to the Hub of what happened (on/off). If you used 2 of these, one of them would always be out of sync.
If you use one unit on one switch and never touch the other switch, the control would be correct. Then you can use either the GoControl or Sylvania to add smart buttons to the now-useless switch.

For some odd reason, I managed to drain the battery within 4 days! I’m not really sure what happened, but I think I’m polling the device too much, every 32 minutes! Either that or the device is a lemon. I’m working to get something resolved quickly. The code is modified from the Z-wave Switch DTH, which uses a default value of 32 mins (1920 seconds). I’m seriously thinking that is the issue.

I’ve upgraded the code to “Milestone 1”. Adds battery reporting and changes the check interval to 482 mins (~8 hours). It should result in better battery life.

I also discovered that you will need to tap the gear icon to get to the screen to rename the device, then click done to save the changes. In the IDE Device Settings, the checkInterval should now be 28920

3 Likes

Thanks for this post. I ordered one a few days ago on Amazon. It paired right up.

I had a couple of places where the switch only toggled one leg of the power. The other leg wasn’t in the box. Most home automation switches require both legs of power. This is a nice workaround. It paired right up to my SmartThings hub. No wiring needed. It just fits right over an existing toggle switch. Uses 2AA batteries that are supposed to last a year. Well see.

20170909_101355

2 Likes

Great pics, thanks! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Awesome! It’s a great device that serves a good purpose. Probably my favorite released.

Make sure you’re using the latest DTH (Milestone 1). The Z-Wave Switch and drafts poll the device too much, killing the battery within a few days.
I’m predicting around 2 months of battery.

2 Likes

I’d like to inject a note of caution here about these new switches.
Please, don’t get me wrong - they are great for specific circumstances.
However, I’d like to point out that a key role of wired switches is that they act as zwave repeaters in a zwave mesh network.
Every zwave mesh network needs wired repeaters to find many and alternate paths to the controller.
These switches are great - but they cannot be used to completely eliminate all wired switches.