[OBSOLETE] Contact Sensor as Smoke or Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Amazon still has them. Price has gone up, probably because they are getting harder to find with the newer Z-Wave Plus version out:

Z-Wave Plus are $30 each so slightly cheaper but I don’t know if they have the external contacts inside:

I think they do based on the Q&A stuff from amazon:

Thanks again! I have ordered the Z-Wave Plus, and I’ll let you know how the install goes!

They do. I have a few of them.

Correct, thanks!

I received mine a while ago, and just started hooking things up. So far, so good. Thanks so much for your work on the device handler @vseven . Looks great!

1 Like

@vseven I see that SmartThings may have a new carbon monoxide device handler… if so, is there any benefit to using that instead of “smoke”?

Real question would be does smart home monitor let you use the carbon monoxide sensor or does it not see it? The reason I made my co sensor show as CO but act like smoke on the back side was so that it could be added to smart home monitor because they only supported sensors with the smoke capability.

Interesting. I’m out of my depth here - I have no experience with coding or device handlers. Just saw “Carbon Monoxide Detector” as an option to check when creating a new device handler. I don’t know if that could be added to the smart home monitor or not.

Yeah, unless they’ve made an update and never included it in release notes smart home monitor still doesn’t support carbon monoxide detectors. So if you have one and you want to set off alerts using it you have to trick smart home monitor into thinking if it’s capable of smoke detection.

Bummer. Thanks for the explanation!

Maybe someone from SmartThings can explain why it’s like this? @Zach_Varberg @posborne

I’m not really sure why it is that way. Probably because when it was initially drawn up there wasn’t a CO alarm we had certified. Paul and I are both embedded guys, but I’ll pass the request on to the team that handles SHM.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who’s lost reporting from this set up? Not sure when it started, but I tried replacing my sensor’s battery and it’s still not reporting. Any suggestions?

E: I went through some troubleshooting and I’m pretty sure the relay failed. Will replace and go from there. ~5yr lifespan :confused: