[OBSOLETE] Circadian Daylight: SmartThings + Smart Bulbs

Hi, I’ve tried but moments later the lights become very bright if I dim them to 10%. I’ve temporarily removed the smartapp and all back to normal.

What bulbs are you using, and do you have them selected as color temperature, color, or dimmers?

What does having a sleep mode do? Is it to only allow the light to come on at 1% intensity instead of something higher? Also I have hue color bulbs. Do they go under temperature changing bulbs or color changing bulbs?

I have both hue bulbs and osram direct. They all seem to want to go to a brighter level when I have the app running. I have rules which dim the lights to 10 after no motion for 5 minutes. Invariably they end up at 80% or higher. I’ve removed the app and all is now good.

In any modes that are selected as sleep modes, the bulbs will be set to 2000k and 1% brightness (regardless of having dynamic brightness enabled or not).

I am open to peoples opinions on how this should work, however.

That definitely should not be happening. What are you using to create your rule to dim the lights? Also, could you open up the IDE, go to My Locations, List SmartApps, Circadian Daylight and send me a screenshot of the pop-up?

Thanks for explaining. I feel that would work well. Cloud you let me know where I should put my hue color bulbs? In color changing or temperature changing?

Oops, meant to answer that. Color temperature is preferred to color, although if everything is working properly you won’t notice a difference. If you want lights just to dim, obviously put them in dimmers.

Being from the far north the winter days get a little short. We truly only have a handful of hours of daylight. I would love to be able to override the location or set my own sunset/sunrise times to help keep a normal schedule during these long dark months. Just an easy win idea for any norther folks. Love this app! Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been following the CD smartapp, even though I haven’t installed it or tried it out in any way. Why haven’t I? Because I want to trick my body into waking up and getting energized early, well before dawn; and I’ve come to believe that CD is tightly coupled to follow sunrise/sunset without exception. Unlike kenobob, I don’t live in the far north, but his scenario is not the only one that could benefit from being able to override the trigger times. In my case I would set CD to begin simulating a sunrise 20 minutes before my alarm clock is to wake me, then once the sun is truly up CD would revert to following it for the rest of the day. So I would want to override just sunrise with a fixed time, but not override sunset. Thanks for considering.

Tim

@kenobob, @Tim.Vargo I’ve added this as an issue on GitHub (here). I’ll try to get this added as soon as possible, but I’m still without heat and behind on yard work so it may not get added for a couple weeks.

Thanks for continuing this app. One thing I’d like to recommend is simplifying the descriptions of the overrides. I really don’t know what Rhodopsin Bleaching is :slight_smile:

I thought about that too. New issue here for tracking.

Awesome! No hurry, we all have our day jobs. :slight_smile: plus it’s almost summer, lots of daylight for a few months! Thanks @claytonjn!

This is my first day using this. I have a problem where even if I shut off my lights from within ST, CD turns my lights on again. Then it’s a battle to get the lights to stay off. Any ideas? I did enable CD to be on during certain modes so that I can have a tv time mode where I can use my lights for tv effects without them being reset by CD. Could having those modes enabled be causing this?

Another thing I’ve noticed is if CD isn’t running and my bulbs have their brightness down, once CD runs, it changes the color but the brightness remains down. Shouldn’t it increase the brightness as long as set the temperature?

I had this problem previously so I understand how frustrating this can be. I haven’t had the issue with the last few versions, however. What bulbs are you using, and are you using the stock Device Handler, or custom? The mode should not cause this.

If you have override constant brightness turned on, then yes it should increase the brightness when it adjusts color temperature. If that setting is off, it only adjusts brightness to 1% in night mode.

I have hue color bulbs using the stock device handler.

For the section that begins as “override constant brightness (default)…” I have the switch to the left which I believe means off. With that being off I would think it means it will not override constant brightness. If I were to turn it on then CD would start to dim my lights with the sun right? If that is correct, I do not want that to happen. What I am experiencing is if I have the mode set to a mode that CD does not monitor and I set my lights to blue and 10% brightness, once I go to a mode that CD does monitor, CD sets the right temperature but leaves the brightness at 10%. Shouldn’t CD not only change my temperature but brightness at 100%? If I have the switch to the right, meaning override, wouldn’t CD start putting my lights down as the sun is going down? I thought having the switch to the left meaning I want constant brightness would mean that CD would keep my lights at 100% all the time and just manage the temperature.

I’ll try to think of a better way to handle events so that bulbs don’t turn on when they were just turned off. I’ve created the issue here. I have a thought about a way that might work better, but in theory it could cause bulbs to have slightly different color temperatures. In my opinion, that’s preferable to having to fight to turn off bulbs.

Regarding brightness - If override constant brightness is turned off, CD only touches brightness in night mode. So if you turn down the brightness when you enter a mode, you would need to turn up the brightness outside of CD, or turn off override constant brightness, but then CD will decide the brightness level for you. I plan on updating the settings to make this more clear. My general opinion is that whatever you use to change the mode and dim the lights should also be what sets the brightness back, rather than CD. However, I could implement an option whereby you can choose a constant brightness level for CD to set, choose to have CD determine brightness, or have CD not touch brightness. Like I said though, I tend to think you’d be better off setting the brightness back outside of CD.

I must be slow, but is there any way to pause this smartapp? I like the idea of it, but sometimes I want to color my hue bulbs and I don’t want the smartapp reverting them back to the default.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into the off issue.
As for the brightness I think having the option in CD to maintain the brightness is a good idea but if you don’t want to spend time on that, I can figure out a way to affect the brightness outside of CD.

I managed to do this by changing my mode when watching tv that CD does not run under.