[OBSOLETE] Circadian Daylight: SmartThings + Smart Bulbs

Hello!

First of all - thank you so much for making this amazing SmartThings App! I really love it and appreciate all the hard work you have put into its creation.

I was wondering if someone here can help me with a solution to the following use case automation puzzle. How can I set up the following scenario:

1. Between 6:00 am and 5:00 pm, Circadian Rhythms is not engaged and the Hue lights are set to remain at 100% brightness with the “Energize” hue setting.

2. At 5:00 pm, Circadian Rhythms comes online and works as expected until 6:00 am the following morning.

So far, I have puzzled out how to automate suspension of the Circadian Rhythms by creating a virtual switch which, when turned on, suspends the CR app and, when turned off, enables it. However, the dilemma of not being able to reset all lights to the “Energize” without deal-breaking side effects still exists.

I could automate the setting of the “Energize” scene for all lights every morning but, in doing so, all of the lights in my house would have to turn on around 6:00 am which will be extremely annoying for my wife and child who are still asleep at that time.

Is there a way t create this kind of automation without having to turn all the lights in my home on at 6:00 am daily? If so, how should I go about setting it up?

Thank you all in advance for your help, advice, and time! :slight_smile:

Is there any reason to expect that Sengled zigbee smart bulbs would not work with this app? I had been using this for a long time with LIFX bulbs, but I replaced all my LIFX bulbs with the Sengled Element Plus blubs capable of 2700-6500K. Thanks

Nevermind, seemed to be a configuration error on my part.

So I am just getting started with this app, and something is not working how I expect…

I have it set up to not control dimming, and to only tune colors from 2800-5500k. But every time i try to test it the bulbs come on at 9% dim and 2000k.

You can see in the logs the color temp is being set to 3000+ but then gets a second command right after to 2000k.

Being the time of year I don’t expect to hear back anytime soon but does anyone else have issues with this not working anymore? When I try to manually run it or during its scheduled run, I get this error in the logs:

groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Bad Request @line 182 (setHandler)

Anyone else seeing this?

I got it to work. I had to leave the zipcode empty

Have you seen the built in sort of sunset transitions the TRÅDFRI bulbs have? Really neat for rgbw bulbs. That would be really neat to integrate/imitate in CD.

I’m having issues with the app running reliably. It will run for a few hours but eventually it will stop and won’t work again until I press the play button on the smart app a few times. Anyone have this problem?

This app seems to have stopped working for me last night. Anyone else having problems?

Was just about to install this. Can anyone confirm or provide a working alternative?

It’s working fine for me

Does anyone else feel like the transition at sundown is too abrupt?

maybe its just my setup, just once it hits sundown it goes from cool to warm in one update cycle.
Ive used flux for nearly a decade, and never even notice its transitions.

It isn’t as subtle. Especially if the normal transition happens at 745 and sunset is at 748 for example. But I don’t notice it that often so not a problem for me.

I started looking over the math, I might have a few changes that could help

Feel free to submit a PR. I haven’t been on ST for a couple years so obviously this SmartApp has been somewhat stagnant. I built a similar integration for Home Assistant, and use much simpler and “better” math - you can find that code here.

Ultimately, however, the biggest issue is that CD always has your max color temperature when the sun is at its highest point in the sky - the problem is that the highest point changes throughout the year. What we really need is a formula that takes in the altitude of the sun and outputs a color temperature value. There’s been some discussion about that in the Home Assistant thread, but I haven’t had the time to grasp the formulas that may work.

1 Like

I’m having trouble getting this app to work and was hoping someone can show me where I’m going wrong. I’ve added the smart app via GitHub integration. From the smartthings classic app I’ve added the smart app. When I open it if I tap on “New Circadian Daylight Setup” I just get a spinning wheel and it doesn’t seem to get anywhere. Any idea where I’ve gone wrong?!

Question: If i have a rule to set the color of a bulb RED, how can i get the bulb back on this app’s control when the rule is false?

I know this isn’t being developed currently, but I think I’m hitting a bug with the zip code setting, and I just wanted to mention it for anyone else who might hit it.

I think there’s an issue with zip codes that start with a zero. When I’m stepping through the settings in the overall coordinator, the zip code field is automatically populated with 01812 (my actual zip code is 01810, so I’m not quite sure where 01812 is coming, but whatever, it’s still in my town, so it’s sufficient for these purposes.

If I enter 01810 OR don’t touch the field and leave it at 01812, then after I finish and save, my lights stay at the minimum color temperature and never get whiter. I finally realized that when I go back in the settings, the zip code entry has had the leading zero lopped off, so it becomes 1810 or 1812. If I clear the zip field, then save, it allows the white temperature to be adjusted correctly. But if I go back into the settings for any reason, I have to remember to clear the zip field again because it autopopulates.

Question regarding device type, just bought some new warm white bulbs and getting the following error when trying to add the new bulbs to SmartThings:

physicalgraph.exception.InconsistentDataException: DTH version mismatch for id:db9be81e-11ce-465c-918c-ae888cf659a2 and version:1 @line 510 (addChild)

Any ideas? As far as I can tell I have loaded all the necessary device types in the IDE…

I installed this and love it so far. In case @claytonjn decides to do any further improvements to the app, here are a couple of things I’d suggest:

1. as someone previously mentioned, it would be amazing if the color temp calcs took latitude and time of year into account.

2. it would be really useful to be able to customize the color temp range (or apply an offset) per automation configured in the smart app. Currently you can only adjust the color temp range for all automations in the smart app. The reason here is I have an island in the kitchen that is finished wood with wood floors. In the evening, the low color temp makes everything look very yellow, while the same color temp in a bedroom looks fine (the bedroom doesn’t have all the wood stuff).

Just wanted to post up that of all of the smartapps I have this one is the most I will miss when the IDE dies. I really REALLY hope someone picks this one up and refreshes it for the new app capabilities!