[OBSOLETE] BigTalker 2.x

I am sure Brian will see these posts and address it. He has been very busy, but he always handles the problems.

Yea sorry. That is an issue I am seeing with time scheduled events. Ive looked at it but not found the problem yet. I am away from my computer this weekend but will address it as soon as possible. As far as I know, all other events are working, this is just the time scheduled events

I donā€™t doubt you guys are having issues, but my time based events are working fine.

If it helps to troubleshoot, I didnā€™t touch them when I moved from the alpha 2.0 to release 2.0.

Edit - I just updated to 2.0.1 and now Iā€™m getting the phrase empty error.

I am beginning to think it is from the Development version, and not release. The error just says Big Talker.

1 Like

Loving this app, thanks! Having a challenge though - was testing out the weather in the ā€œTalk Nowā€ and it froze up. Now back at the main screen and when I hit ā€œTalk Nowā€ it does nothing. Turned debugging on and see

ā€œerror java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ā€˜temp_cā€™ on null object @line 3330 (getWeather)ā€

Problem is now I canā€™t even get into the menu option to clear the line? The debug line prior to this is ā€œdebug BIGTALKER2(P2.0.1) || [PARENT] Processing: getWeather(current,00000)ā€ which Iā€™m guessing is causing the problem? Is the Celsius/non US Zip code causing the problem? Is there a way to clear without reinstalling?

Is anyone having issue with it resuming audio? I have mine set to NOT resume but it seems to resume. Strange thing was the speaker was not playing prior to the notification. Iā€™m using the Bose SoundTouch 10 speaker.

Sorry, Iā€™ve been away for the weekend and too busy to dive into the empty phrase/time issue.
Iā€™m working on resolving this nowā€¦ Standby

SmartThings makes troubleshooting really tough when inconsistently, half the logs I need donā€™t even show up or show up out of order.

I think this problem is in the Developer version, but I could be wrong. I know that is where I am getting the problem. But I think it could be both versions.

I see it in both, at random. It just doesnā€™t show some logs and then others it shows out of order. So when you code a log in for troubleshooting and it doenā€™t show, you donā€™t know if it hit that part of the code in processing or not, yet it hitā€™s stuff right after that that indicate the log should have shown. Or it just shows stuff out of order which really blows up the logical thinking process. Itā€™s crazy annoying.

I can see it being annoying. What is very strange the errors of empty content happen at times other than a scheduled one, and then when there is a scheduled one.

Sending the patches to my dedicated beta channel testers before I send to the main release.
If youā€™re on my beta channel, 1) thanks for your observations and tips! 2) expect a message soon.
If youā€™re not and you want to be, send me a PM.

This issue is caused by calling the example with zip code 00000 instead of an actual zip code ie: %weathercurrent(00000)%. You can use U.S. Zipcodes, however for Non-U.S. locations you must use one of the following that are accepted by weather undergroundā€™s API: %weathercurrent(France/Paris)%, %weathercurrent(latitude,longitude)%, %weathercurrent(AirportCode)%, %weathercurrent(State/City)%

A patch is out in beta testing now which once applied will correct the issue you have and will allow you back into the Talk Now page without removing/reinstalling.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/docs?d=data/geolookup#examples
Basically, you can put in any format shown here after the ā€¦/geolookup/q/ part of the URI and minus the .json part. So http://api.wunderground.com/api/Your_Key/geolookup/q/CA/San_Francisco.json becomes %weathercurrent(CA/San_Francisco)% for BigTalkerā€™s use.

Note ā€œautoipā€ will work, but it will be the forecast of the datacenter that the code is running from which is likely nowhere near you.

Hi

I am pretty new to this Smartthings community. I am amazed by the kind of development folks doing here for a great cause. Really appreciate it. I started venturing my interest in installing few switches, sensors etc and configured few apps for nest cams etc.

I wanted to explore the talking notification abilities of smartthings and landed in this thread. Exlored the available options of integrations. If I am reading it right, correct me if I am wrong

• All the options listed here that work with BigTalker (VLC Thing, cast-web, LANNouncer) requires a dedicated PC or Android device running these services to allow speaking notifications

• The only option that doesnā€™t require a new device is Generic DLNA Media Renderer (Am I right?)

Considering my understanding is right, I went ahead and installed the DLNA Connect SmartApp, installed the DLNA Player DTH, installed Big Talker2 (parent and child). Now after I searched for the media renderers, I am able to find my SamSung Smart TV and used this as my talking device in BigTalker.

I have few doubts on the BigTalker configuration. What is the Talk Now config setup? What is Allow Personality? Aside from this, I have setup the Talking Events in the app. Now when I open the door or turn the switch on or off I see that a event is fired and the message is sent to Samsung TV but I dont see any notification sound coming out of my TV.

Could someone help me list the steps that I need to follow to set it up propertly. I did keep 5 second delays in the Samsung Speaker (renderer) - Delay before msg is set with 5 seconds, Delay between Actions setup with 2 seconds, Avoid Secure delay (off) etc.

If I navigate to Activity Feed on my Smartthings app, I do see the below commands

BigTalker2 - Sent Refresh command to [TV] Samsung Plasma Speaker (generated every 1 min)
[TV] Samsung Plasma Speaker: Udn is Uuid: xxxxxxxxx
Talking Events: Sent Playtrackandrestore Command to [TV] Samsung Plasma Speaker

Also I am looking for help on how to enable debug and provide the logs so that someone can help figure out whats going on with my setup.

Thank you

When I try to configure BigTalker2 it tells me that there arenā€™t any devices with the text-to-speech capability available
I have the AskAlexa smart app installed, what am I missing?
I did get a bit lost in some of the AskAlexa setup at the Intent Schema section as I couldnā€™t find out where to configure it

What speakers or LAN app are you using, or do you have VLC and a speaker connected using Media Renderer connect.

Neither, I thought the way it was written that you could output to AskAlexa

you can but it goes to the message Queue. %askalexa% but not sure if it goes to the speakers. You can ask Michael the developer of Ask Alexa.

1 Like

Hi @joelw135 I have installed BigTalker2 with Generic DLNA media renderer and I dont hear any sound from my TV. Do I need to install VLC or any other tool on computer to have my ST deliver the notifications to my TV?

The setup documentation only confirms that BigTalker2 parent, child, Generic media renders and DLNA player is the required components.

Thanks

[RELEASE 2.0.2]
Iā€™ve pushed 2.0.2 to GitHub.
The 2.0.1 BigTalker icons should now be reflecting that a new version is available.

• Corrected major issues with time based events (issues introduced in 2.0.1, sorry about that!)
  • Each event now calls sendTalk() instead of direct calling parent.Talk() for further analysis.
  • Modified child app description seen in the mobile app new Smartapps list to clarify, do not install the child app, needed by BigTalker2 (parent app). Will not be seen unless the user accidentally publishes the child app instead of just saving.
  • Added error detection to processPhraseTokens() to help detect invalid user input (logged in parent logs, error announced verbally)ā€¦ ie: if someone actually uses ā€œ%weathercurrent(00000)%ā€ instead of using a proper zipcode in place of 00000.
  • Corrected an issue when calling %description% from Talk Now.
  • Corrected an issue with non-zip code locations in weather phrase tokens/variables.
    ** ie: %weathercurrent(France/Paris)% was saying this phrase instead of translating it. The issue was phrase casing.

Tagging those that mentioned some of these specific issues: @dlloyd242 @joelw135 @greg @llcanada

You can now also easily install and update by installing @tonesto7ā€™s.
Community SmartApp Installer. Install the code once using the IDE/GitHub integration and then after that, you can do it easily from the SmartThings mobile app (or mobile browser) from that point forward. Itā€™s pretty cool!!! Thankā€™s for making this Anthony! (Note: itā€™s in beta, but it works!)

2 Likes