[OBSOLETE] [BETA MILESTONE 1] CoRE (Community's own Rules Engine)

Hey all,

So I wrote in yesterday about my Solar/Weather Refresh Piston not firing, well today it never ran, nothing shows up in the IDE log at all and the recent tab also shows nothing

Here is the Piston in case something has changed since I created it months ago, it does show as 44k seconds past due

I am hesitant to contact support cuz they are going to say they don’t support CoRE

Rick

I was there on the Dream

1 Like

This is caused by a timed event failure. This is a SmartThings platform issue that has cropped up in the past three weeks, or so. This has been a big problem twice before, late last year and again in the spring of this year.

I have been running a test piston for at least a week and this type a failure is been seen multiple times a day.

1 Like

I had the same issue. I added another piston to “kickstart” my polling piston and since I did that I had no more failures (whereas it failed almost daily before):

You might also want to use separate pistons for polling your weather and your solar monitoring in order to better guard against 20s timeouts.

This is not my idea but to end the frustration of timed event failures I built this hi tech trigger device.
It is programmable from once a minute to once per hour all the way up to every six hours.

I would provide detailed instructions for this complex device but I think the photo pretty much covers it.

3 Likes

This is ironically awesome!..hilarious. Flinstone automation!

2 Likes

So a time based event to kickstart another time based event works good, interesting

I had another time based event fail this morning, support today told me to go into the IDE and Update each smartapp. Will see what happens tonight/tomorrow

Rick

Too cool, are you trying this, next for notify with color lights?

2 Likes

So far, my time based events are working today as expected, must be my dumb luck

Rick

In reference to the piston recovery option: what is stage 1 vs stage 2? Can someone explain what each one does, specifically? I did a search but wasn’t able to find much.

I’m having timing issues and pistons are missing their window. I’m hoping this will help, but I need to understand what it’s doing!

Got a question folks…

The built in recovery options in CoRE. I’ve been having quite a few stuck pistons over the past week or so. I disable the recovery yesterday and have not had any failures since.

Has anyone else disabled this?
Have you had any time related failures?

I’m looking for a possible bug

I disabled the internal CoRE recovery and I still get multiple failures. I am confident this is not a CoRE issue. I have made the same test in Rule Machine and it fails in the same consistent way as every other app that relies on timed events.

Whatever this problem is, it does not affect all people the same way. Some have no problem, some a a lot of problems. I really think this issue depends on what server your hub is connected to. From a end users point of view this is exactly the same way it played out the past two times and as I remember each time the SmartThings team had to increase capacity. And IMO it only temporarily masks the problem as this is the third time since December of 2015.

2 Likes

I agree. I was just looking for a trend. I in no way believe this is the fault of CoRE… Just looking for similar circumstances.

And yes… It’s passing out the same way.

I disabled my recovery actions at 2am this morning. No failures since then. Could be just coincidence though.

1 Like

Starting last night I’ve had a number of time-based fail. :confounded:

I had a failure last night that I’ve never seen before.

My bed time macro in askAlexa had a programmed five minute delay… I triggered the macro but the five minute delay failed to complete… Nothing turned off!

It was horrible… I had to press a button on my Minimote to turn off my bedside lamp… I may just abandon HA after this one…

2 Likes

For those that have disabled the recovery in the main CoRE app, check the IDE log for CoRE to see if the recovery is still happening. For me it is and I am not sure why.

I also had a piston fail but the IDE log shows the recovery (which was supposed to be turned off) firing but the time recorded in the log is not in chronological order. Not sure how this can happen

My recovery actions have not ran since I turned them off at 2 AM.

Interesting. Mine are disabled but it still keeps on running. Bizarre

I had my first CoRE missed event has well. This one comes two days after a SmartThings support person pushed a scheduling update to me to help solve and issue with Turn off with Motion events not turning off the devices.

Sadly it has made turn off with timed events start failing.

So far:

two night of turning my porch light off at 11pm haven’t fired (Using Smart Lights Smart App)

Today my turn bedroom fan off at 3:01pm didn’t fire (Using CoRE)