[OBSOLETE] [BETA MILESTONE 1] CoRE (Community's own Rules Engine)

Would it be possible to add presence as a rule restriction? I’m sure it’s possible to do this already, but could it also be at the bottom near the other “piston restrictions” that start with only if ?

I also understand i could create a simulated switch to follow presence state and do it now.

Correct.

setTrack(String)
Set the track to be played (does not play the track)

@ady624. I made an action with 2 wait tasks… each one restricted by different modes. The current mode is day and it is showing the countdown timer as adding the two wait times together (93 minutes) instead of using only the unrestricted wait time (90min).

Hope you have a good extended weekend.
thanks.

I’m wondering if I’m missing something as I remember an “I know algebra” toggle within the variables menu. Has this been moved/ enabled or removed completely?

I’m looking for a way to create a variable that is the result of an expression. Say AVG multiple temp transmitters or convert RH & temp to DP.

Thoughts?

You can do operations when you set the variable.

1 Like

That seems like a great way to combine custom variables within a piston but what about already defined tags (variables)?

Say…
(Bedroom1.temp+familyroom.temp)/2=Temp.avg (Custom Global Variable name)

Using that expression to set the custom variable allows me to use the avg temp within any piston. This is especially useful as a condition.

CoRE in its self gives you an Intutive guided process to creating boolen expressions and it’s fantastic for that! What I’m saying is add a feature to create your own variables using expressions, like the one above.

Let me know if I’m not making any sense.

You can currently take averages by selecting multiple temperature devices at once when creating an action. Then select save attribute to variable. Use the aggregation method “avg”.
For DP for now you’ll have to use the set variable task and use the operations available in that. I had to use multiple set variable tasks using the equation DP= T-(100-RH)/2.77. But there is another form of this equation that was posted that should only take one set variable task. DP= .36RH - 36+T

3 Likes

FEATURE REQUEST… CoRE and Web Alexa integration… @ady624 Can CoRE work with the web version of Alexa to maybe use Simon Says and have Alexa announce things like a Sonos device? Just wondering… thought it would be cool.

Thanks,

Kevin

1 Like

Ok nice! Is it possible to make it a global variable so that I don’t have to create it in every piston and it can be used as a condition.
If… Temp AVG is > outside air
Then… Shutdown AC

yes, just start the variable with an @ symbol.

1 Like

Thank you @msendelbach very much appriciated

This happens for all SmartApps near as I can tell, but question is specifically for CoRE (and @ady624).

When updating the app, sometimes the automations need a “kick in the pants” to run.

Questions.

1. Why?
  2. Can we automate this? I’m always stuck wondering if I should kick them all, or wait. Some I don’t have to kick, some I do.
  3. Is there a design for our rules that makes the kick not needed, like add a time condition to all, or add a specific event to all?
  4. If none of the above works, can you make a way for us to reset all rules from the dashboard, or anywhere? Save us all a lot of time and wondering…

thanks for this app @ady624, the most powerful app in ST land.

1 Like

I can have the master app somehow manage the others, perhaps with a cron schedule, kick the others in the pants area. Pistons have skirts, right?

2 Likes

What kinds of pistons are you seeing this with? I’ve not had this problem at all.

This sounds like when Rule Machine was losing state information

You would ask that… :slight_smile:

I think the last time was this one. Unfortunately I have not been scientific with this. I need to step it up. I don’t think it’s the state problem because it only happens after an update.

That makes sense. I made it a habit a long time ago to do this…every time…

Smartapp update - open all, tap done
Android update - hard close app, restart, reboot hub
Hub update - reboot everything

1 Like

I actually try not to do this, I like to try and see how long things go for, my wifi router has been on for six straight months before… I like to test reliability and then build in more.

Just the other day I shut off my IFTTT backups for sunrise/sunset. They only ran twice in a few months, and IFTTT failed once itself. Not bad.

1 Like

It appears that Timed events are beginning to fail for me again. After several months of smooth timed executions over the past three days things are going off the rails again. I have a basic piston that that polls the weather tile every five minutes. Its now failing about once a day and requires me to go into the IDE and update the app.

I know this isn’t a CoRE problem but is there a way for the app to detect a failed event and reschedule itself?

If not, would adding a device trigger into the Piston cause it to reschedule for the next event?

2 Likes

Do you know if this is a bug or do I just need to set up my piston with two actions instead. I just wanted to try and keep my pistons as compact as I could. Thanks.

Sorry, moved to assistance thread.