[OBSOLETE] [BETA MILESTONE 1] CoRE (Community's own Rules Engine)

I noticed CoRE doesn’t use the Contacts feature to selectively send Push notifications to certain people/devices. Any particular reason why? I know it’s not been officially published but I have other smartapps that use it and it works quite well.

5 Likes

Check your IDE/GitHub settings, I just updated to 0065 version from ide, so it’s working…

Thank you. I got it figured out. And update eventually showed up and I went ahead and grabbed the update.

I wish I had studied Jave programming more so I could actually contribute to this. Its an awesome app and quite frankly, am surprised it is not the way Samsung did things. Even Nexia has similar, though not quite as powerful logic built into it.

1 Like

Still learning and testing. One thing I’ve noticed is whenever I create a condition the only way it will say the condition is not complete is when I negate the rule then un-negate it. Other than that solid interface for what ST provides. Maybe one day it can evolve to a web based rule creation tool like Simple Rule Builder was / is ( I don’t even know if it’s alive anymore.)

:+1:

1 Like

SmartThings philosophy is to provide the platform and allow people like @ady624 to run with it. As for its awesomeness, I remember when we started talking about alternative rule engine and he made the statement to ‘not underestimate his capabilities’ and I thought to myself, oh boy here comes a newbie with a big ego bragging on his powers. Well in the past few weeks he’s not only shown that he is a scholar, but the pace that he is developing this app, is just insane.

8 Likes

Had the exact same initial thoughts. I’ve worked with a bunch of programmers over the years and red flags were 'a fly’n! But man did my (unsubstantiated) opinion change real quick! Guess ma was right, don’t judge a book by it’s cover…

Thank you again Adrian for all you’ve done with this, it’s excellent!

8 Likes

I must confess, I am quite surprised, coming from Samsung, that they approached it as they have. As you said, providing the platform and let the community run with it.

I was, at first, kind of weary jumping ship from Nexia after having been with them so many years, to come to SmartThings. However, Nexia, with respect to development is quite the polar opposite of ST. They are Z-Wave only and have been very slow to add devices. In the last couple of weeks in just having ST I have gone from around 10 devices to now at or near 25, and I still need to add motion sensor and video capability.

All that to say that I would have been hesitant, I think, to add so much had it not been for CoRE. I was reluctant to add new items as the base functionality of ST seems a little limited. With CoRE, however, I am supremely confident that I can add devices, for the most part, at will, and can successfully build a dynamically automated home thanks to it.

3 Likes

Thank you guys. I initially felt a big resistance to the idea. I guess we were all wrong, except @JDRoberts, of course (lol). Anyways, I believe the open platform was ST’s idea, Samsung aquired ST later on, inheriting said plan…

11 Likes

Is anyone using the new physical feature with a GE 12727 or 12729? I recently tried to do something simple in which I physically press a switch and have another light come on, however it did not work. I had trouble with the isPhysical in Rule Machine too, some I’m wondering if it is the GE switches or the DTH.

I attempted that at some point and ran into some issues, outside of CoRE. I can’t import a contact, fails. I managed to create one but then it didn’t show the Push option. So I disabled it…

The generic DTH for dimmers doesn’t work with physical feature and the generic zwave on off is broken. Unless they fix it, we cannot use this feature.

Attempted the Contacts again. They don’t even on iOS. Managed to select a contact with Android. Now I cannot open the piston at all and there is no error whatsoever…

1 Like

WOW!!! That’s disappointing. Any alternative DTH or is the only option to wait for ST to fix?

@bamarayne are you using GE switches for your physical override?

When the device sends the on/off message to the DTH, how can you tell if it was physical or digital?

Wait, that “digital” is the opposite of “physical”? Who comes up with these names? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think there’s only one attribute “physical”, but isDigital() returns true if that attribute is false…

But why digital? :slight_smile: What were they thinking, sorry, drinking? Sorry, smoking? :slight_smile: I am pretty sure they meant programmatic, as in, changed by software, rather than by direct mechanical interaction by the user. Provided, there are no easy words to express the proper meaning…

1 Like

Look at the device event log in ide.

Hello… I need help setting heating and cooling points on a CT100, I’m using the MyCT100Thermostat device type…It works when I set heating and cooling points in a normal routine. Just not in my piston. I tried both “Quick set points” and “Set Heating point”. Here are the logs for each… Setting to Auto and/or off does work the temps just don’t change.

Thanks

2:17:12 PM: warn Unexpected zwave command MultiInstanceCmdEncap(command: 49, commandClass: 0, instance: 1, parameter: [5, 1, 42, 2, 218])
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:16:35 PM: debug calling thermostatSetpointV1.thermostatSetpointSet (cool type=2) with degrees = 71.0 delay = 500
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:16:35 PM: debug setCoolingSetpoint(71.0, 500)
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:16:35 PM: debug calling thermostatSetpointV1.thermostatSetpointSet (heat type = 1) with degrees = 70.0 delay = 500
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:16:35 PM: debug setHeatingSetpoint(70.0, 500)
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:14:49 PM: warn Unexpected zwave command MultiInstanceCmdEncap(command: 49, commandClass: 0, instance: 1, parameter: [5, 1, 42, 2, 218])
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:13:52 PM: debug calling thermostatSetpointV1.thermostatSetpointSet (cool type=2) with degrees = 71.0 delay = 40000
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:13:52 PM: debug setCoolingSetpoint(71.0, 40000)
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:13:52 PM: debug calling thermostatSetpointV1.thermostatSetpointSet (heat type = 1) with degrees = 70.0 delay = 40000
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:13:52 PM: debug setHeatingSetpoint(70.0, 40000)
eae6e0be-8c24-4516-ba36-735d22bdf40c 2:12:45 PM: warn Unexpected zwave command MultiInstanceCmdEncap(command: 49, commandClass: 0, instance: 1, parameter: [5, 1, 42, 2,

The DTH puts those events in the logs so I’m trying to figure out how the DTH knows that it’s a physical event. I’ve pretty sure none of the devices I’ve built DTHs for have provided that information in their response.

1 Like