[OBSOLETE] Automatically Capture Every SmartThings Event and Store it Forever (InitialState SmartApp)

Just tried uninstalling everything and trying again.

Denied access. deleted streaming key. Checked app dissapeared from phone.
Re-added and Authorised. Streamer appears on phone.
triggered loads of events.I see shipped events under logs.
But nothing appears in IS.

Now looks like this…no new streaming key…is that right ?

just noticed on your blog the button should look like this after connection ?

Ive tried a few browsers and mine doesn’t change to look like that

Hey @andy_taylor

Looks like there may be a little confusion (and this is not the first time this has happened, so we need to think about a way to make it clearer!)

The Streaming Access Keys are independent of the SmartThings integration, though the SmartThings integration needs one of them. Here is what you should do.

1. Create A New Key (make sure you have at least one Streaming Access Key on your account
  2. Since the SmartThings button doesn’t have connection info on it, that means that the app is already not authorized, so you don’t need to perform the Deny, just go through setting it up like it’s a brand new configuration, but only after first making sure you have a Streaming Access Key available.

When you’ve got a Streaming Access Key first, and then you go through the process of enabling the SmartThings Streaming Connection, your tile should change to look like that. If you don’t have a wrench in the top right corner, it means that we’re not able to access your SmartApp because it’s either uninstalled or the OAuth credentials are invalid.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers,
David

Hi @davidsulpy

Im feeling utterly stupid as I have done that several times and the button just never changes…

I send yo a ink to a video of what im doing

Btw, for the others following this thread. It turns out that SmartThings is still having an OAuth issue with the UK. So, if you’re in the UK trying to use this integration, you’re currently out of luck unfortunately. I’m waiting to hear back from SmartThings about the issue and as soon as I do, I’ll post an update here.

In the mean time, those in the UK can still use the DIY version.

Wow! This was exceptionally easy to set up and data is beginning to collect. I’m forward to seeing what my data looks like after a day.

1 Like

@mander You can now combine multiple streams onto the same tile. You can also add and delete tiles from view with the latest update. Check out some of the new features at http://blog.initialstate.com/did-you-know-tiles-configuration/.

3 Likes

my InitialState stopped streaming my SmartThings data, so to try and fix it myself, I removed (Denied) the integration, and deleted the SmartThings bucket. Only, now that I’ve re-approved the integration, I don’t know how to recreate the bucket. Can anyone help please?

Hey @NOITAIDAR The SmartApp should recreate a bucket automatically. However, if you deleted the bucket, you’ll need to make sure that the SmartApp is registered to use a different bucketKey (you can see what the bucket key is by checking the SmartApp settings following these instructions: http://support.initialstate.com/knowledgebase/articles/678322-smartthings-troubleshooting-the-integration in the “Sending Troubleshooting Data to Initial State”

Note, however, that even if a bucket hasn’t been created by the SmartApp, data will still be sent by the api to the bucket key and a bucket can later be created with the same access key and bucket key and the data even before the bucket was created will appear.

It’s worth noting, however, that today AWS is experiencing a major outage of S3, and while Initial State’s buckets and AWS S3 buckets are not the same, Initial State does leverage S3 for some UI settings from within the app, so there are intermittent issues with this at the time of writing this post. You can follow status.aws.amazon.com for more information, note also that SmartThings uses AWS services as well, so you may run into related problems there as well. I recommend you attempt to troubleshoot after the AWS outage.

full disclosure: I am the Founder/CTO of Initial State

Thanks for the response, David.

I did check, and the bucket key and access key matches between the bucket settings on InitialState, and the SmartApp on SmartThings.

Oddly enough, not long after I posted my earlier comment, the ST bucket did automatically get created, but it only has one event logged, a single motion sensor capture, and then there’s been no further data stream.

AWS reports that the services are back up now, so I would have expected at least a few more devices to check in?

Should I try removing the SmartApp, as well as reconfiguring InitialState to DENY access, and then start again from scratch?

@NOITAIDAR,

Great, glad to hear that the bucket was created and at least one event is showing. Since you have an event, rather than going through the reconfiguration process, you should wait to see if more events show up. Additionally, you can send your bucket key and access key details to support@initialstate.com as well as try sharing your bucket with support and we can take a look to see if there is anything we can do.

Cheers,
David

This service looks great! I had me hooked at $5 per month from the first lost. It lost me at $30, which is current pricing. I see something about a $10 plan, but can’t find. What pricing options are available? Anything below $30 a month?

These guys seem to have found product-market fit with a different market. Cheapest plan is now $99/month. IMO they should be removed from the list.

We are actually planning on launching a new home/EDU/maker specific product soon. This will bring back the features and functions for SmartThings users at a home/EDU/maker price point. In the meantime, if you email me at jamie@initialstate.com, I can get you an extended trial of our current product that will bridge you from now until we make an announcement.

Is that just to extend people that were already using it. or for new people wanting to try it out until your new product is released?

I am really interested in visualizing all of the data from my sensors and creating real-time dashboards, but most of the options are lacking in ability or are above my expertise. I just hope you can keep the price of your final product at no more than $5, and even that is a stretch for something that for most users is going to be a novelty. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but everything comes as a subscription now.

The new SmartThings to Initial State integration is now live. Initial State accounts are free for students with a valid .edu email address and $9.99/mo or $99/yr for everyone else.

1 Like

Well… How about $10?

1 Like