[OBSOLETE] Alexa Virtual Device Creator (Formally Alexa Virtual Switch) Creator

Thanks for the comments.

Basically, the switches that are created by the Virtual Device App do nothing by themselves…you have to ‘tie’ them to a real device. Think of it this way…Your Alexa can’t trigger an Alexa routine from a switch, but CAN trigger from a motion…So you create a virtual motion detector and control its active/non active state (with something like WebCore) which will then trigger an Alexa routine.

Opposite of that, and the way I used most of my 20 virtual devices, is to trigger a SmartThings routine by an Alexa Routine (for example, to shut down the house). I use a voice command that triggers a virtual switch, which is then recognized by the SmartThings Routine as a ‘call to action’ to run the SmartThing routine Good Night Routine (Since you can’t natively run a SmartThings routine from Alexa.)

It is a difficult concept to understand at first, but when you realize where the limitations are in SmartThings and Alexa, you can use these devices to ‘bridge the gap’.

Does that make sense?

2 Likes

MichaelS, sorry for the delayed response. This went to my work account instead of personal.

I completely get it now. Very cool service and I already have ideas on how I could integrate it into my home. However, you are right. This service doesnt solve my referenced problem.

Appreciate all the hard work and wish you luck in the future!

1 Like

Yes please. I need those to trigger Alexa routines with IFTTT.

With this app (and every other DTH and SmartApp) to be deprecated in lieu of the new API, I am hesitant to update this app since it will be gone in a few months. Not saying it can’t be done…I have played with adding other virtual items, but I am confused on the need.

I also use IFTTT and Alexa Routines. Typically, I use either a switch or button to trigger a routine or an IFTTT action, and IFTTT uses switches to feed information back to SmartThings. The big issue here is that you need to use a third-party application (like WebCore) to change a open/close sensor; neither native SmartThings, Alexa or IFTTT can change these, so I guess I am confused what the use case would be with a virtual sensor.

Let me know and I can easily add it if it adds value to the application in the short amount of time it will be around.