[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Multifunction Siren

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

The new version fixes the button issue I described previously. Thanks for all the work on this solution. My only issue is no matter how I modify the length of the beep it never decreases. Im trying to make it sound more like a chirp (10 milliseconds) instead of the 100 millisecond beep.

Unfortunately that’s a limitation of the siren and/or ST. I just tested this and sending an on command followed by an off command without any delay still sounds like beep #1 which uses 100 milliseconds.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Have you been able to Update it in the IDE from the repo directly? I am trying but it’s giving me an error. I am not sure if there is a way to see what the error is either. This is what I see after I click publish and execute update.

I wasn’t using the IDE integration at all which is probably why I had all of these problems to begin with. I just completed the integration and committed the first version so I think it should be all set going forward, but it ended up chaning the url again.

See the first post for the new and final url.

2 Likes

I’m rolling with this device handler and my new Aeon siren tonight. Setup was easy.

I went straight for this device handler, never used the stock one in SmartThings.

Works very well. Initially the timing seemed very good - I liked Beep 4 (three in succession) as an alert. After I used it for a while, I did start to notice the beeps slowing down intermittently; definitely speaks to the SmartThings timing issues.

Right now I’m using it for two purposes: single beep to let me know SHM is armed or disarmed (through Rule Machine), siren #3 as the SHM alarm.

Interested to see what other ideas you come up with. As I play with it more, I will send forward any suggestions.

Thanks!

(As an aside, I do wish Rule Machine could monitor whether the SHM alarm has been tripped as a trigger, not just whether it’s in Arm/Disarm state. I think the combo could be a powerful way to do a delayed siren without having to repeat all of the alarm triggers in Rule Machine.)

1 Like

I think I figured out a relatively easy way to do this. I created a virtual siren with switch functionality that I let SHM call. I then use this switch as an input to rules in Rule Machine, which allows me to set a 30 second beep before alarming (I had to do it in two rules - the example above wouldn’t cancel the delayed siren, so I had to use the delay function of the rule, not the switch).

I only wish the timing of the beeping could be better controlled. Even setting it for the shortest beeps, shortest delays, I only get about 4 beeps out in a 30 second period before the alarm sounds…

Are you using the beep schedule feature? Do you mind posting or sending me a screenshot of your Rules?

See attached.

Two rules needed.

One starts a 30-second beep when the virtual alarm/switch is triggered by SHM.

The other delays the full siren by 30 seconds.

[quote=“mooch91, post:44, topic:40652”]
allows me to set a 30 second beep before alarming
[/quote]FYI, I’m in the process of adding a new command for “startBeepDelayedAlarm” and a preference for “Use Beep Delayed Alarm”.

The startBeepDelayedAlarm command will play the beep schedule and if the off command isn’t issued by the time the schedule finishes, the alarm will sound and the alarm.both and switch.on events will get raised.

The “Use Beep Delayed Alarm” preference will allow you to make that the default behavior when the siren is turned on.

I’ll be releasing the new version shortly.

1 Like

I just released version 1.3 which supports playing a beeping sound for a specified amount of time before the alarm goes off.

If you set the preference “Play Beep Schedule Before Sounding Alarm?” to true, the alarm will beep when it’s turned on instead of immediately sounding. If the beep schedule completes without being cancelled, the siren will sound and the events switch.on and alarm.both will be raised.

If the preference is disabled, you can still use this feature by executing the startBeepDelayedAlarm() command.

I also made the speak commands more flexible by stripping out things that shouldn’t be included like parenthesis and the command names for the custom beeps.

I also removed the restrictions on the schedule so you can now do things like play 3 short beeps every second.

With SHM and Notify with Sound if you enter more than 29 characters the commands won’t get sent to the device handler. To get around that limitation, the parenthesis shouldn’t be entered into the speak custom text fields for any of the commands and only the comma separated list of numbers should be entered for the “customBeep” and “startCustomBeep” commands.

Working much better for me with the single command now (startBeepDelayedAlarm), though I’ve still kept it a rule in Rule Machine as opposed to integrating it as a “Custom” monitor in SHM.

The timing of the beeps is better too. Although sometimes they will still get “off”, they’re a little more predictable than they were with the old code and the multiple rules I was using.

I also figured out the commands. I didn’t fully understand what you were saying the first time I read them through.

Thanks!

If you turn off the “Enable debug logging?” option, you may find that the beeps are a little more consistent.

[quote=“mooch91, post:52, topic:40652”]
I also figured out the commands. I didn’t fully understand what you were saying the first time I read them through.
[/quote]The process isn’t intuitive, but it’s the only way I could think of to let people use all the commands from SHM and Notify with Sound. Creating custom commands in Rule Machine was a hassle so using the speak action also eliminated the need for that.

I’m considering buying the siren, but before I do, I wanted to receive some clarification on the word “custom” for the beeps. Can your own audio clips be used or is the siren limited to the sounds already embedded in the device? Thanks.

I’m finding I can’t get my rules to reliably turn off the siren when in the startBeepDelayedAlarm mode.

I created a rule that will set the startBeepDelayedAlarm when my virtual alarm switch (set by SHM) is ON and SHM is set to AWAY. I have it set the siren OFF when this is FALSE.

It activates reliably 100% of the time. It will only turn off the alarm a fraction of the time when I set SHM to DISARM.

The beep feature is basically just turning the alarm on and quickly shutting it off. Custom refers to the ability to adjust the length of time it’s on.

If you want to be able to play your own mp3s, you should look at the Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell because it allows you to load up to 100 mp3s on it and play them by track number.

2 Likes

Can you post screenshots of your rule(s)?