[OBSOLETE 1.1.6 5/25/16] Big Talker - Talk when events occur

Yeah that’s a good approach. The biggest overlap I get is when a door open and closes fast.

This is my biggest overlap too. Seconded by presence and garage door events happening at the same time. I’ve decided I no longer care when doors are closed which has helped a lot.

Would it be possible to just check if music was playing before the first event is announced? If so, then resume music? Check to see if a BT event played on a device in the last X seconds, if so, check if music was playing before it, resume music after playing next event depending on that value. Just a thought.

I must say the latest Beta version of this app is so comprehensive. I really love it. There are so many Stock ST apps that don’t account for every option, which can be frustrating for a non coder but extreme ST user. Thanks again Brian!

@rayzurbock This is great. Would it possible to have a specific mode option within the app so notifications can be disabled at night when the kids are in bed?

This and several other new features on currently out for Beta testing in the development branch here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/1.0.3-Dev

The following is the change log from 1.0.2 up to 1.0.3-Beta3, if no major issues are found, This will be released as 1.0.3 soon:

• CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Alpha1
    • 12/26/2014 - Acceleration (active/inactive) event added and tested
    • 12/26/2014 - Water (wet/dry) event added
    • 12/26/2014 - Smoke (detected/clear/tested) event added
    • 12/26/2014 - Button (press) event added, to be tested…
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Alpha2
    • 12/27/2014 - Adjusted some debug/trace log info
    • 12/27/2014 - Added default “talk while in mode(s)” with custom mode overrides for each event group.
    • 12/27/2014 - Status page: add defaults, cleanup look
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Alpha3
    • 12/27/2014 - Added Volume Change (supported for Sonos, VLC-Thing, not supported for Ubi due to lack of support in it’s device type)
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Alpha4
    • 12/27/2014 - BugFix: Corrected small bug on status page
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Alpha5
    • 1/2/2015 - BugFix: VLCThing reporting “stopped” instead of “disconnected” therefore it was calling “playTextAndResume” and cutting off phrases. Adjusted to playText if no trackdata found.
    • 1/4/2015 - BugFix: Switch Group 3 was not working. onSwitch3Event() function missing; Added. Thanks GitHub @roblandry (Issue #5).
    • 1/4/2015 - Feature: Mode change exclusion: Remain silent when changed to a configured mode, when coming from an excluded mode. Thanks for the request SmartThingsCommunity:Greg.
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Alpha6
    • 1/4/2015 - BugFix: Mode change exclusion contained a logic processing bug, corrected.
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Alpha7
    • 1/6/2015 - BugFix: If a user starts to configure the app and backs out before completing configuration, multiple instances may be created without an Uninstall button. This release ensures the Uninstall version is always available.
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Beta1
    • 1/4/2015 - Feature: Toggle support for either capability.musicPlayer(Sonos/VLCThing) or capability.speechSynthesis(Ubi/VLCThing). Note: Only one type or the other is currently configurable in the app at a time. Install the app twice to support both modes.
    • 1/4/2015 - Configuration flow change (to better support the choice of musicPlayer / speechSynthesis)
    • 1/6/2015 - BugFix: Mode change announcement may announce previous mode incorrectly. Resolved.
    • 2/6/2015 - Feature: Optional: Default Allowed Talk Time, with per event group override. (Thanks ST Community: Greg for the idea)
    • 2/6/2015 - Feature: Added Talk Now feature (once the app is properly setup/configured, it will show up on the main page under Status and Configure).
    • 2/6/2015 - Feature Modification: Default text is shown in Group 1 of each device type as an example; if the user deletes the text and saves, it reappears the next time they edit the event type. This modification only fills the default text if the speech text is blank AND the device list is empty. (Thanks for the feedback ST Community: Greg)
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Beta2
    • 2/8/2015 - Feature: Added scheduled event based on time of day and day(s) of the week. Only allowed 3 as ST apps are only allowed 4 schedules at a time, so I’m reserving 1 for future use (Thanks ST Community: Greg for the feature request)
    • 2/8/2015 - Feature Modification: Modified buttons to configure events to state “Tap to modify” if they are configured already and “Tap to configure” if they have not been configured.
    • 2/8/2015 - BugFix: Hopefully fixed a bug where upgrading from versions before 1.0.3-Beta1 speechDevice selections may show up as a text field; toggling Sonos/Ubi support resolved, so added code to try to prevent the issue to start with (Thanks ST Community: Greg for the report)
  • CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Beta3
    • 2/8/2015 - Feature Modification: Added time scheduled events to the status page
1 Like

For Ubi support in the development branch (currently 1.0.3-Beta3) and future soon to be released 1.0.3, be sure to update your Ubi device type/app code from ( https://github.com/jodyalbritton/smartthings/tree/master/theubi ) first. Many thanks to @jody.albritton for including the supporting functionality in his Ubi Device type.

Hi, do you know if this will work with the Amazon Echo?

Brian,

I just found this thread and loaded Version 1.0.3-Beta3. I have found issue so far. When attempting to configure a “motion” event, I got the message “Error:You are not authorized to perform the requested operation”. I’ve tried all the other device types and they seem to work. It’s just motion. Any ideas?

Thanks @chaaad614. 1.0.3-Beta4 has been published in the development branch to correct this.

• CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Beta4
    • 2/14/2015 - BugFix: When attempting to configure a “motion” event user receives the message “Error:You are not authorized to perform the requested operation” (Thanks: ST:chaaad614)

Thanks! I will be sending a donation your way.

1 Like

I wasn’t happy with the configuration flow always bringing up the Sonos/Ubi and Defaults selection pages, so therefore:

• Development branch release 1.0.3-Beta5:
    • Feature Modification: Modified configuration flow. Only show Sonos/Ubi selection on first run, then proceed to defaults and event selection for the remainder of the SmartApp installation. Prior to install completion show button for “Configure”. After install, show buttons for “Status”, “Configure Defaults”, “Configure Events”, “Talk Now”.

https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/1.0.3-Dev

1 Like

Thanks, really enjoying this and looking forward to finding new uses for it. Maybe a door sensor on the liquor cabinet - lol.

Is there a way to Talk on Event such as a scene? For instance, I have a scene by “Scene Machine” that is all lights on. Sort of a “someone hears a noise and is freaked out”. If they run the all lights on scene, the downstairs Sonos could give out a message… i.e. “Intruder beware, police in route” or even a dog bark sound or a shotgun loading sound. lol

If you have multiple switch/light events tied to BigTalker and they all fire at the same time, BigTalker will fail miserably to speak the events (one will interrupt the other, etc)…

You might be able to accomplish what you are wanting with a virtual switch that is toggled on/off via your “all lights on” command. I wouldn’t tie any of the other switches that are toggled by the “all lights on” command directly to BigTalker events to prevent conflicting talk events from firing. But, one of your toggled switches from your “all lights on” command might could be a virtual switch used by BigTalker to monitor and react with talk events. BigTalker will only talk though, it will not play the dog bark sounds, etc.

1 Like

Perhaps this isn’t the proper thread, but does anyone know if it is possible to do more advanced automation with Sonos via Smartthings; e.g. Group/Ungroup speakers based on an event? On a related note, I’ve experienced unpredictable things with “Big Talker” when I have Sonos speakers grouped and playing a playlist when an event triggers Big Talker to send a message to one of the grouped speakers. Maybe I’m asking for too much at this point - just trying to determine if additional capability exists.

I don’t think it’s the app but it’s rather the integration…

BigTalker 1.0.3-Beta6 has been posted to GitHub to hopefully resolve this and a few other issues I found along the way.

• CHANGE LOG for 1.0.3-Beta6
    • 2/21/2015 - BugFix(attempt; needs testing): Under capability.musicPlayer Talk() calls playTextAndResume() even when it detects that nothing was playing before speaking. Changed to playTextAndRestore() when nothing is previously playing. Thanks ST Community:Kristopher “will play an audio stream after processing an event and sometimes not. I assume its supposed to resume a stream if its already playing, but I definitely don’t want it to start a new stream after its done talking.”
    • 2/21/2015 - BugFix: Fixed an issue where custom talk modes were not checked when using a scheduled Time event.
    • 2/21/2015 - BugFix: Fixed an issue where current day of the week was not calculated properly for a scheduled Time event causing these events to speak on days of the week that were not desired.
    • 2/21/2015 - BugFix: Fixed an issue where “Talk Now” would sometimes say the last spoken phrase upon entering the “Talk Now” page.
    • 2/21/2015 - Feature Modification: Added phrase variable %time% which will return the current time.

Get it here if you would like to test it: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/1.0.3-Dev

Please report bugs/issues here (or via PM) so that I can better track them: Issues · rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker · GitHub

1 Like

All this work on 1.0.3 Alpha’s/Beta’s and I’m not releasing the new version as 1.0.3, there are just too many changes to give it a minor version release.

Announcing BigTalker 1.1.0 Release
Download the code here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker

• If you are already running BigTalker and not one of the latest 1.0.3 beta versions, I recommend uninstalling BigTalker and reinstalling with the source code in this release

If you have used the 1.0.3-AlphaX or 1.0.3-BetaX releases in the development branch on GitHub, you have seen many of the following features. If not, below is the list of features added since version 1.0.2:

• RELEASE 3/4/2015 - 1.1.0
  • Feature: New sensor event handlers
    • Acceleration (active/inactive) event
    • Water (wet/dry) event added
    • Smoke (detected/clear/tested) event
    • Button (press) event added, to be tested…, Need someone to test.
  • Feature: Mode change exclusion: Remain silent when changed to a configured mode, when coming from an excluded mode. Thanks for the request SmartThingsCommunity:Greg.
  • Feature: Added default “talk while in mode(s)” with custom mode overrides for each event group.
  • Feature: Added Volume Change (supported for Sonos, VLC-Thing, not supported for Ubi due to lack of support in it’s device type)
  • Feature: Toggle support for either capability.musicPlayer(Sonos/VLCThing) or capability.speechSynthesis(Ubi/VLCThing). Note: Only one type or the other is currently configurable in the app at a time.
    • Install the app twice to support both modes.
  • Feature: Optional: Default Allowed Talk Time, with per event group override. (Thanks ST Community: Greg for the idea)
  • Feature: Added Talk Now feature (once the app is properly setup/configured, it will show up on the main page under Status and Configure).
  • Feature: Added scheduled event based on time of day and day(s) of the week. Only allowed 3 as ST apps are only allowed 4 schedules at a time, so I’m reserving 1 for future/internal use (Thanks ST Community: Greg for the feature request)
  • Feature Modification: Adjusted some debug/trace log info
  • Feature Modification: Status page: add defaults, cleanup look
  • Feature Modification: Configuration flow change (to better support the choice of musicPlayer / speechSynthesis)
  • Feature Modification: Default text is shown in Group 1 of each device type as an example; if the user deletes the text and saves, it reappears the next time they edit the event type. This modification only fills the default text if the speech text is blank AND the device list is empty. (Thanks for the feedback ST Community: Greg)
  • Feature Modification: Added time scheduled events to the status page
  • Feature Modification: Added phrase variable %time% which will return the current time.
  • BugFix: VLCThing reporting “stopped” instead of “disconnected” therefore it was calling “playTextAndResume” and cutting off phrases. Adjusted to playText if no trackdata found.
  • BugFix: Switch Group 3 was not working. onSwitch3Event() function missing; Added. Thanks GitHub @roblandry (Issue #5).
  • BugFix: Ensure Uninstall button is always on the “Configure” page, even for partially installed instances
  • BugFix: Mode change announcement may announce previous mode incorrectly. Resolved.
  • BugFix: Hopefully fixed a bug where upgrading from versions before 1.0.3-Beta1 speechDevice selections may show up as a text field; toggling Sonos/Ubi support resolved, so added code to try to prevent the issue to start with (Thanks ST Community: Greg for the report)
  • BugFix: When attempting to configure a “motion” event user receives the message “Error:You are not authorized to perform the requested operation” (Thanks: ST:chaaad614)
  • BugFix(attempt; needs testing): Under capability.musicPlayer Talk() calls playTextAndResume() even when it detects that nothing was playing before speaking. Changed to playTextAndRestore() when nothing is previously playing. Thanks for the report ST Community:Kristopher
  • BugFix: Fixed an issue where custom talk modes were not checked when using a scheduled Time event.
  • BugFix: Fixed an issue where current day of the week was not calculated properly for a scheduled Time event causing these events to speak on days of the week that were not desired.
  • BugFix: Fixed an issue where “Talk Now” would sometimes say the last spoken phrase upon entering the “Talk Now” page.

There are a few “test” items still in this release, they are left over from the Alpha/Beta versions and I do not have notes showing they were tested yet; however I do not want to hold up this release with those items as I do not have the devices necessary to test them

1 Like

Tried the latest code and it doesn’t see my Ubi. :frowning: Made sure to turn off music on first config page and tried with it on. 1.02 works just fine.

Did you uninstall/reinstall?
When you go into the “Status” page, what does it show next to "Speech Device Mode:"
Does it show your Ubi next to “Default Speech Devices” ? If not, does it show something else?

I did a fresh install. Can’t get past config as Ubi is my only speech device.

tried again same issue but backed out of config and app showed up under my apps then it saw ubi and seems to be working.