[OBSOLETE 1.1.6 5/25/16] Big Talker - Talk when events occur

Thanks for getting back to us. I was able to clear out the duplicate instances no problem! I’ll give the dev version a whirl and let you know if I find anything.

1 Like

Apparently I have to update. TY

I have loaded this through the developer site and published to me …but oddly i cant find it on my phone …search turns up no result? i must have done something wrong! Thanks

Hey Greg,

I have Big Talker configured and working well. Seems to be more advanced than sonos notify.
Things I like are that you can have notifications play out all sonos devices. I would like to see the ability to change the volume temporally.

I’m not the devoleper, Brian is. The ability to change volume exists in the alpha versions. I agree it is better than notify with sonos

Hey guys/gals. I’ve been a bit busy lately and haven’t had much time to work on this project but I’ll be ramping up development in the coming days. If you want to test the SmartApp in it’s latest published development version, install from GitHub here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/1.0.3-Dev . As of now, the latest dev release was 1/6/2015… It has numerous bug fixes and features added in comparison to the 1.0.2 release. I have an unpublished dev version that I am working on. I think after successful implementation and internal testing of the latest features to it, I will send it out for public testing and release (1-2 weeks or less hopefully).

4 Likes

tried to copy and paste this guy and this was the result (did i do it wrong)

startup failed: script14232722831301800255546.groovy: 2: unexpected token: in @ line 2, column 14. Sign up Sign in This repository ^ 1 error

ok i was able to get it to “create” without error…now i am trying to find it in the app on android and its no where to be found …i have posted about this before thought i would try the latest version but same result even when i search for it!

I’ve seen where after adding code for a SmartApp, some have luck with stopping the SmartThings mobile app on their phone and then relaunching it. After doing that , while on the Dashboard (has the options for Lights & Switches, Doors & Locks, Home & Family, etc…), scroll to the bottom and click the +. This should bring up “SmartSetup”. You should see at the top, “Things” “Alerts”… Swipe that left to reveal more items until you see “My Apps”. You should then see “Big Talker” or “Big Talker Dev” if you installed the in-development version, press that and then follow through with the configuration.

I hope this helps. My instructions are based off of my iPhone, so hopefully the apps are similar enough that these will work for you. If not, hopefully someone with an Android will chime in.

thanks for the response …i have restarted phone …maybe with android there isn’t a “my apps” area? my last column is “more” with sub sections smart things labs
convenience
kids
pets
elder care
health and fitness
safety and security
social
and green living

and in these section i do not have big talker i even search at the top with no results?

I am a bit confused

hope that another android user has had success?

When you successfully saved the code, did you hit “Publish” and then select “For Me” ?

yes… and when i look at my smartapps in ide it shows status published and category fun & social

Log out of the mobile app and then back in. Happened to me

2 Likes

That was the solution Greg…Thank you for taking a look!

1 Like

As a follow up on this - I somehow have two instances of the app installed, but only one with any configuration. I cannot uninstall from the mobile app, and I only see one instance from the IDE

A random thing I noticed with Sonos - sometimes Big Talker will play an audio stream after processing an event and sometimes not. I assume its supposed to resume a stream if its already playing, but I definitely don’t want it to start a new stream after its done talking. I’m not sure if that’s Sonos, BT, ST or what doing that. Any insight? (FYI, I pretty much only use Sonos for BT)

@ksristopher what do you mean by BT in your post?

I have found that if two events happen back to back it will start playing music after because the first event was still playing when it received the second event, so it though music was playing. I’m not on the latest release, but I’m going to update today.

@smart I assume he means Big Talker

Hey Greg - I bet that’s exactly what’s happening. Definitely something that would benefit from some refinement.

For some reason I confused it with Bluetooth and wondered how did it come into picture. My bad… Same thing happens to my Sonos system too when two immediately following custom texts fails to play right one after the other using my own app.

I’ll investigate I to adding a mandatory delay between speech events to prevent back to back overlapping requests.

Thoughts?

Queue up the request and say it a few seconds later (if there are a lot of back up the queue could get annoying flushing out) or ignore the second and subsequent requests that come in too quickly (ie: event happens,starts talking, starts a mandatory queue timer for say 5 seconds, either queue up the requests that come in during this 5 seconds and start saying them after the 5 seconds (which other items could end up queued during that time); or ignore new talk events during the 5 second window after the last event?

I’m leaning toward ignore new talk events for 5 seconds to prevent a perpetual queue from building up.